Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Audi Rings Puddle Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They should be standard equipment. Audi is missing the advertising boat .
Old 04-10-2016, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrari27
They should be standard equipment. Audi is missing the advertising boat .
I disagree. Not everyone loves them like some of you do, so they should certainly not be standard because I don't want to pay even $0.01 for them.

I prefer my puddle lights to be more functional; as in more diffuse beam of light illuminating a wider area, and I don't need myself or my passengers to be reminded that we're riding in an Audi that has quattro lol.

The Audi rings and quattro beams are somewhat poseur-ish to me, but of course that's just my opinion. They kinda fall into the same category but to a lesser degree as the obnoxious grille-mounted illuminated 3-pointed star now available as an option in certain Mercedes Benz cars. Hell, I don't even like the illuminated sills on all 4 doors that my RS7 came with... as if I needed to be reminded that I bought an RS7. No offense to anyone here because if you like it, I respect that and you should enjoy what you like.
The following users liked this post:
calculi (11-14-2019)
Old 04-11-2016, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Could someone who has had both please compare the functionality of the rings/logo vs the standard puddle lights? Are the rings/logo any brighter? Do they provide more or less illumination?

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2016, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had the regular puddle lights and swapped them out for the rings. The puddle lights are probably brighter and cover more area. For the rings to work, they really need to focus the light to create the ring logo. Having said that, it seems like the car lights up like a Christmas tree when you open the door on the inside and throws a bit of light. Personally, we don't notice any real difference and if anything the rings draw your attention to the ground (where the regular lights wouldn't) so maybe they are better in that sense.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RickObe
Could someone who has had both please compare the functionality of the rings/logo vs the standard puddle lights? Are the rings/logo any brighter? Do they provide more or less illumination?

Thanks!
If anything they seem brighter than the original lights. I am very pleased. I also had the Chinese knockoffs and thought Audi lights much better
Old 04-11-2016, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks. Mine comes in next week without the ring lights. I think I'll wait to see how functional they are and then maybe get the rings later.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I found the original lights to be a bit too diffuse. I am used to the puddle lights having a more compact beam to actually light up the puddle area under the door. I think the focus of the ring lights makes it appear brighter and serve the actual puddle light purpose better.

There definitely is not a loss of functionality.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by baltfan
I found the original lights to be a bit too diffuse. I am used to the puddle lights having a more compact beam to actually light up the puddle area under the door. I think the focus of the ring lights makes it appear brighter and serve the actual puddle light purpose better.

There definitely is not a loss of functionality.
Based on the standard ones on my 2012 Q7, I'm thinking that I will agree that the rings will be better. Those on my 2012 are so diffuse you don't really know they are on.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Admit it guys; you like the audi ring beams so much that you are being biased to think they are better.

I took home two Q7 on separate occasions for 24-hour test drives. One was loaded (prestige, air suspension, B&O, luxury, audi beam rings) and the other was a peemium+ without such features. The regular puddle lights are most certainly more functional, let's not kid ourselves here. They are both brighter and more diffuse. Drop a coin on the floor and it's much easier to spot it with the regular puddle lights. In contrast, the audi beam rings just makes it easier to see the audi rings logo lol, but not so much the coin unless the beam rings' is positioned right on it.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by larryV
Admit it guys; you like the audi ring beams so much that you are being biased to think they are better.

I took home two Q7 on separate occasions for 24-hour test drives. One was loaded (prestige, air suspension, B&O, luxury, audi beam rings) and the other was a peemium+ without such features. The regular puddle lights are most certainly more functional, let's not kid ourselves here. They are both brighter and more diffuse. Drop a coin on the floor and it's much easier to spot it with the regular puddle lights. In contrast, the audi beam rings just makes it easier to see the audi rings logo lol, but not so much the coin unless the beam rings' is positioned right on it.
Nice test idea. I'll try that when I get my non-ring Q7 next week.

Quick Reply: Audi Rings Puddle Lights