Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Auto Engine Off not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Engine Off not working

So Once or twice when I first got the car I noticed the auto engine stop at red lights etc..but for some reason its not currently working and when I have the a/c off and put my foot firmly on the brake the symbol of a A w/ a circle around it with off which I believe is the symbol on the dash for auto stop has a hash mark through it which I suppose indicates that this feature is not available...

anyone know why?

I know a/c has to be off , foot firmly on brake and not in sport mode.. got all that but still doesnt work for me anyone.. I haven't vag'd the car so no unintentional changes in the code..not sure if I accidentally changed a mmi setting?

thanks for your help in advance
Old 08-19-2016, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This is what I know from reading the forums. The Auto Stat/Stop function will stop working if the ECU senses that the battery is not sufficiently charged to support the auto start/stop function.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
This is what I know from reading the forums. The Auto Stat/Stop function will stop working if the ECU senses that the battery is not sufficiently charged to support the auto start/stop function.
Additionally, it won't work if the steering wheel is turned too far, if the car is not sufficiently warmed up (more of a winter thing), the ambient temperature is too low (around -7C or lower), if there is high demand on the HVAC for either heat or cold, etc.
It will work with the AC on, but it depends upon load.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
Additionally, it won't work if the steering wheel is turned too far, if the car is not sufficiently warmed up (more of a winter thing), the ambient temperature is too low (around -7C or lower), if there is high demand on the HVAC for either heat or cold, etc.
It will work with the AC on, but it depends upon load.
interesting.. ok good to know.. so basically essentially since I got the car it stopped working because im in arizona and its 100+ degrees out and likely load is high for a multitude of factors .. useless for me till winter =)
Old 08-19-2016, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bootnet
interesting.. ok good to know.. so basically essentially since I got the car it stopped working because im in arizona and its 100+ degrees out and likely load is high for a multitude of factors .. useless for me till winter =)
Not really. I am in so cal and it's been 100 in my area regularly and it kicks in most of the time. If you are driving short commutes it will likely not kick in because of the AC working harder. But usually once the cabin temp levels out and the AC can relax a bit, the auto stop / start will work fine.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Meyecul
Not really. I am in so cal and it's been 100 in my area regularly and it kicks in most of the time. If you are driving short commutes it will likely not kick in because of the AC working harder. But usually once the cabin temp levels out and the AC can relax a bit, the auto stop / start will work fine.
Well, I'm in Colorado and so far we have not managed to make the Auto On/Off work at all unless we turn off all ventilation systems (including the fan on its own). In other words, it's useless in practice, as we normally leave the fan on low even when not using the A/C. We've done short trips, long trips, hot weather and cooler weather (although we're not into winter yet) and it doesn't work if we even have just the fan on.

We explained this to the dealer's service folks (including the service manager), and they seemed as surprised as we are but claimed it's working as designed. I smell a rat. A brand spanking new Q7 with a useless "feature" is not my idea of a good result.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Phudpucker
Well, I'm in Colorado and so far we have not managed to make the Auto On/Off work at all unless we turn off all ventilation systems (including the fan on its own). In other words, it's useless in practice, as we normally leave the fan on low even when not using the A/C. We've done short trips, long trips, hot weather and cooler weather (although we're not into winter yet) and it doesn't work if we even have just the fan on.

We explained this to the dealer's service folks (including the service manager), and they seemed as surprised as we are but claimed it's working as designed. I smell a rat. A brand spanking new Q7 with a useless "feature" is not my idea of a good result.
What driving mode are you in? My guess is somethings gotta be wrong. I know this is likely not it, but you have to give the brake a good press at the end. When you press, do you the see the A in a circle with the diagonal line thru it on your screen (virtual cockpit). That would tell you the mode is not avail at that moment. I am guessing you are always seeing this but if you are not, then thats a tell.

I can assure you the feature works very well. I drove today in a lot of stop an go LA freeway traffic w A/C on nice and cold and it kicked in every time. If your dealer is brushing it off, tell them you would like to drive another Q with the SA and see if it is doing the same behavior as yours, likely not. Then make them fix it :-)
Old 08-23-2016, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the response. Re driving mode, we never mess with it - it stays in Auto. I just went out again and tested it to clarify the scenario.

If I hit the OFF button on the ventilation system (such that nothing is operating, not even the fan), the Auto Stop function works fine when I come to a stop - but if I let the fan run on the lowest setting (with A/C turned off) it stops working.

Fortunately, my business partner also has the identical model (even if he is in Wisconsin) and he says his works like yours - so the dealer has a shock coming. :-)

Thanks for the input.... the forum rules!
Old 08-23-2016, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah. Show your dealer this thread and if you need more amo I will try and make a video of it working with my air blasting. That will show um!! Good Luck!!
Old 08-23-2016, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Phudpucker
Thanks for the response. Re driving mode, we never mess with it - it stays in Auto. I just went out again and tested it to clarify the scenario.

If I hit the OFF button on the ventilation system (such that nothing is operating, not even the fan), the Auto Stop function works fine when I come to a stop - but if I let the fan run on the lowest setting (with A/C turned off) it stops working.

Fortunately, my business partner also has the identical model (even if he is in Wisconsin) and he says his works like yours - so the dealer has a shock coming. :-)

Thanks for the input.... the forum rules!
What do you have the AC temp set to? How long are your drives?

Quick Reply: Auto Engine Off not working