Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -
View Poll Results: Do you like this Auto start/shurt off feature?
Yes
51.43%
Hell No.
48.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Auto start/stop shut-off

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by discogone
Agreed.

It is not fun to drive with the feature on in a residential area with lots of stop signs.
I am sure that there are people that this bothers. For those that are reading this board for information prior to buying the car, I will say that I almost never notice this being an issue, it is as seamless as any of these types of systems that I have experienced, and I never bother to turn it of despite a ton of residential and city driving.

None of the above is to discount those that find this to be a problem. Everyone has their sensitivities.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by baltfan
I am sure that there are people that this bothers. For those that are reading this board for information prior to buying the car, I will say that I almost never notice this being an issue, it is as seamless as any of these types of systems that I have experienced, and I never bother to turn it of despite a ton of residential and city driving.

None of the above is to discount those that find this to be a problem. Everyone has their sensitivities.
While I'm not a fan of start/stop except in hybrid vehicles, and I find it a nuisance in both my Q7 and XC90, I agree this isn't major enough a thing to say "well, I'm not buying that car because it has start/stop tech in it."

No matter how seamless they make it, it isn't like the way an engine stops in say a Prius. In a Prius when you stop and the engine cuts off, the A/C for example continues working off the battery because the compressor is electrically driven. That, I believe, is not the case in the Q& and also my XC90. Heck, even in my old QX60 that was a hybrid Nissan/Infiniti didn't put an electric compressor so even in that hybrid the a/c but off when the engine shut down, which sucked. So when you stop at a long enough at a light in most vehicles with start/stop in humid climates like we get here in NYC, you certainly begin to feel a change in temperature due to the engine turning off, even though the fan continues to blow. Button or no button to turn it off, I don't like the government making a decision that forces car manufacturers to develop a technology like this to save me maybe 5% in fuel consumption.

Last edited by Paradox; 05-09-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Paradox
While I'm not a fan of start/stop except in hybrid vehicles, and I find it a nuisance in both my Q7 and XC90, I agree this isn't major enough a thing to say "well, I'm not buying that car because it has start/stop tech in it."

No matter how seamless they make it, it isn't like the way an engine stops in say a Prius. In a Prius when you stop and the engine cuts off, the A/C for example continues working off the battery because the compressor is electrically driven. That, I believe, is not the case in the Q& and also my XC90. Heck, even in my old QX60 that was a hybrid Nissan/Infiniti didn't put an electric compressor so even in that hybrid the a/c but off when the engine shut down, which sucked. So when you stop at a long enough at a light in most vehicles with start/stop in humid climates like we get here in NYC, you certainly begin to feel a change in temperature due to the engine turning off, even though the fan continues to blow. Button or no button to turn it off, I don't like the government making a decision that forces car manufacturers to develop a technology like this to save me maybe 5% in fuel consumption.
Start/stop is automatically disabled if the AC is on or if the engine isn't warm enough.

When I got my Q5 with it I disabled it but then tried using it. What I find that works and has been documented elsewhere in the forum is:

1) If you don't press the break all the way down when stopping it won't engage
2) If you want to do a quick get away while stopped, you can anticipate when you will be going and lightly release the brake. That will start the engine and then when the light goes green, you can nail it

With my A7 and Start/Stop enabled if I want I can blow away 99% of the cars next to me at the stop light using #2
Old 05-09-2016, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not meaning to disagree, but those are all temporary work around.

I think what some owners want is the ability to just completely disabled it, and they should be able to since they paid for and own their cars.

Btw, Step 1 never works well for me and that's the most annoying part during rush hours stop and go traffic.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Lookout57
Start/stop is automatically disabled if the AC is on or if the engine isn't warm enough.
Interesting. When it gets warmer here and I begin using it more I'll have to watch that because that may be only an Audi thing OR if the a/c is set to quite a low temp OR if the system is still working hard to get the interior down to the set point when using Auto. Any car (non hybrid) I've been in with start/stop, it would shut the engine off even if a/c was on but the interior was cooled down pretty well already.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not that I really care considering my wife's current work vehicle is a Volt & she will be the main driver but it would have been nice for my sales rep to mention the feature to us but then again we didn't notice it at all while driving it.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

I test drove a new Jaguar F-Pace today, and did not like the auto start/stop at all! A few times it would shut off, then turn on, without me lifting foot off brake. I haven't driven the new Q7 yet, so have nothing to compare it to. However, based on my F-Pace experience, I fully understand why many here don't like it!
Old 05-14-2016, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Can't verify this works with the 2017 Q7 but it has been reported to work on other models and years that have start/stop default to on at start up:

Using VCDS and Vag-Com:

Module Stg 09
Login 20113
Adaption channel 34:
Reduce value by 4 (effected Bit 2 to 0) = stop/start per default after each ignition on to off
Old 05-14-2016, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the 2017 A4 and there is a button to turn it off(I took a pic). Hopefully there is a similar button in the Q7
Old 05-14-2016, 01:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by b1ptsv24
I have the 2017 A4 and there is a button to turn it off(I took a pic). Hopefully there is a similar button in the Q7
Yes, there is, and like your car it has to be pressed each time you start the car to turn off the 'feature'.

Quick Reply: Auto start/stop shut-off