Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Canadian Q7 virtual cockpit questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

I think, just like me, you will get used to it as assistant but won't rely on it to be correct all the time. I already know that it doesn't recognize weight limits in combination with speed limits (i.e. "over 4 tons") and certain school zone signs, it also has issues with parallel roads (i.e. highway at 60mph and paralell side road at 30mph) if they are too close. Maybe a future software update will fix that but since Audi does offer free updates or even over the air updates, a new car may be required to get that software.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
I think, just like me, you will get used to it as assistant but won't rely on it to be correct all the time. I already know that it doesn't recognize weight limits in combination with speed limits (i.e. "over 4 tons") and certain school zone signs, it also has issues with parallel roads (i.e. highway at 60mph and paralell side road at 30mph) if they are too close. Maybe a future software update will fix that but since Audi does offer free updates or even over the air updates, a new car may be required to get that software.
I think I'll keep what I have - way too soon for a new one
Seriously though - after using the feature for awhile I have learned to take what it says with a grain of salt. I just thought that little gaff showing 65mph on S/B 59 from Barrington was somewhat humorous.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Canada, was also very interested in how virtual cockpit works in Canada, because it doesn't currently use Google maps like many other countries do. My sales rep told me that Canada is experimenting with using Google maps and that it could happen. And if it does happen, it's really just a software update. But for now it's another technology, but it works well, though it doesn't look as nice. I don't think we have that nice satellite mode that you see in all the reviews.

Near downtown Vancouver. Non Google map tech in Canada.

Center console with interior lighting set to green.

Surround camera is amazing. Little dogs running around the car were easy to spot, even if they look like 2D cutouts in Southpark. Hands down the best surround camera I've seen. Leagues above the outgoing Audis.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by marnes
I'm in Canada, was also very interested in how virtual cockpit works in Canada, because it doesn't currently use Google maps like many other countries do. My sales rep told me that Canada is experimenting with using Google maps and that it could happen. And if it does happen, it's really just a software update. But for now it's another technology, but it works well, though it doesn't look as nice. I don't think we have that nice satellite mode that you see in all the reviews.
I don't have my car yet... But from what I have gathered is that Google map/earth overlay on to existing already loaded maps will require Audi connect which it seems a lot of members are having problems with. Also I think not very many want to sign up after 6 mo. Your. It missing much. Also it's a beautiful car! Love the aluminum trim. N the U.S. you just get gloss black. No S Line. Show up more pics!
Old 05-24-2016, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that an Audi Etron charger I spotted on the wall? Or what is that?
Old 05-25-2016, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zoich
Is that an Audi Etron charger I spotted on the wall? Or what is that?
Possibly -- that was inside the Audi dealer