Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Car "shaking" when starting from cold

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car "shaking" when starting from cold

Hello.

Over the past few days I have noticed that when starting my car and running it for few seconds ( from cold) it seems that body of the car is shaking (shuddering) for few seconds and then it just disappears??
It only happens whet starting up the car from cold and it appears after few seconds of running it ( parked all night and you start it in the morning)
There are no other symptoms ( like idling or weird noises) just shaking/shuddering for few seconds - no lights on dash - literally nothing

I have replaced all of the glow plugs ( genuine ones) all the filters has been replaced.

Has anyone experienced something like this in their car?

Audi Q7 50TDI 3.0 TDI Quattro ( Mild Hybrid)

Thank you in advance !!!
Old 06-18-2020, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a similar issue with my new 2019 Q7. The car is shaking and the dealership replaced the 4 tires but it didn't help. Some other owners solved the shaking issue by replacing the differential fluid. I am taking my vehicle to the dealership on Monday to have it checked again.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi,

Thats interesting - why would they change tyres??

I forgot to mention that mine only does it while stationary?

Good Luck on Monday !! - will you keep my posted please how it went?

Old 06-18-2020, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Matt86
Hi,

Thats interesting - why would they change tyres??

I forgot to mention that mine only does it while stationary?

Good Luck on Monday !! - will you keep my posted please how it went?

I purchased the car few weeks ago and noticed the vibration while test driving. This was the only 2019 Prestige left in stock within 100 mile radius. When, I brought the vibration to the sale's attention, he looked into it replaced the 4 tires. I didn't notice any vibration after the tires were replaced until two days ago. I will let you know on Monday what happened.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

I think the OP is referring to engine vibration when starting the car not vibration felt while driving. Isn't the vibration kind of "normal" during cold start on diesel engines? The problem with diagnosing if anything is amiss is that this kind of observations are sort of subjective. Even if you are correct in your observations, having dealer act on it may be difficult if not impossible. If the vibration goes away after about a minute, the response will be it's normal. If you do feel that the engine is shaking more than normal during cold start, I would have someone check the temp sensors, throttle body position sensor, airflow sensor - I'm sure there are others - maybe cold readings are off which would result in less than optimal fuel to air mixture causing engine shake. This is a difficult problem to diagnose, since you have a very short window to diagnose it in. Hopefully someone with diesel experience will chime in.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gsobol
I think the OP is referring to engine vibration when starting the car not vibration felt while driving. Isn't the vibration kind of "normal" during cold start on diesel engines? The problem with diagnosing if anything is amiss is that this kind of observations are sort of subjective. Even if you are correct in your observations, having dealer act on it may be difficult if not impossible. If the vibration goes away after about a minute, the response will be it's normal. If you do feel that the engine is shaking more than normal during cold start, I would have someone check the temp sensors, throttle body position sensor, airflow sensor - I'm sure there are others - maybe cold readings are off which would result in less than optimal fuel to air mixture causing engine shake. This is a difficult problem to diagnose, since you have a very short window to diagnose it in. Hopefully someone with diesel experience will chime in.
In my case, there is no vibration when the vehicle is idle. I don’t drive the car until it is warm. Then, it starts vibrating on a low speed up to 40 MPH but the vibration reduced at higher speed but still there.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gsobol
By the way my vehicle is not diesel but 3.0T gas
Old 06-20-2020, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 885 Likes on 724 Posts

🥺
The following users liked this post:
Maui19 (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

The service department could not replicate the vibration on my vehicle. I told him it happens when I drive the car for the first few miles but then the vibration is reduced after that (not completely gone) probably because of the hot weather. He mentioned that if the car was sitting at the dealership lot for while, then the tires may develop soft spot that can cause vibration???. He recommended to leave the car overnight and see if he can replicate the vibration first thing in the morning. It is just driving me nut for a vehicle that has only 500 miles.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi,

That's correct - shaking only appears when starting from cold and then disappears after few seconds.

What is even more interesting - I have observed that that issue only happens when its a little bit colder outside??
At the moment we have temperatures in circa of 30 C and its behaving as it should???
I think you might be right to check sensors etc - there must be some sort of wrong reading that causes the shaking.
Its going to my local Audi dealership so lets see if they find anything - I ll try to push them towards your idea

Many thanks for good advice

Quick Reply: Car "shaking" when starting from cold