Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Concerning Engine Sound -- Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Concerning Engine Sound -- Help!

Hi guys,

Over the past 3,000 miles, there seems to be a bad grinding sound coming from what I think is the supercharger. It started around 5,000 miles, but has progressively gotten worse. Any ideas on what this may be? I thought it might be the supercharger clutch, but it is not the same "hoot hoot" noise. It almost sounds like it restricts the engine at times when trying to accelerate. The supercharger seems to take longer to spool up when the sound occurs. I would like to wait until the 10,000 mile service (the car is almost at 8,000) to get it checked out, but if any of you think it could be serious I will get the car to the service center ASAP.

Here is a link to the video:

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate any thoughts/opinions.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:43 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Difficult to tell from the video, but IMO you should probably bring it instead of waiting for the 10K service. Think about it, you posted here because it is bothering you enough that you think something is wrong. If you wait it is only going to drive you more nuts wondering what it could be and if any damage is being done. Even though it will be 2K miles early, to save yourself another visit maybe you should get the 10K done while it's there.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree with JT4 - it is hard to judge by the sound in your video clip. As far as I can see, you are driving in "S" (Sport) and "Dynamic" mode is on as well. I recall somewhere in the Manual, it says that changing driving mode not just adjusts how the vehicle transmission works, but also changes the sound of the engine. Try to change to Auto or Comfort mode and drive in D and see if it makes any difference. I am not suggesting that "bad grinding sound" is not present, but...
Old 08-18-2017, 10:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I heard a "grinding noise" coming from the engine I would IMMEADIATELY get the vehicle in for service, not just wait & see if the engine blows up. Engines and metal grinding are never a good combination.

Last edited by AUDI1880; 08-18-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JT4
Difficult to tell from the video, but IMO you should probably bring it instead of waiting for the 10K service. Think about it, you posted here because it is bothering you enough that you think something is wrong. If you wait it is only going to drive you more nuts wondering what it could be and if any damage is being done. Even though it will be 2K miles early, to save yourself another visit maybe you should get the 10K done while it's there.
Originally Posted by AUDI1880
If I heard a "grinding noise" coming from the engine I would IMMEADIATELY get the vehicle in for service, not just wait & see if the engine blows up. Engines and metal grinding are never a good combination.
Good points. Will call the service department tomorrow morning.

Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer
I agree with JT4 - it is hard to judge by the sound in your video clip. As far as I can see, you are driving in "S" (Sport) and "Dynamic" mode is on as well. I recall somewhere in the Manual, it says that changing driving mode not just adjusts how the vehicle transmission works, but also changes the sound of the engine. Try to change to Auto or Comfort mode and drive in D and see if it makes any difference. I am not suggesting that "bad grinding sound" is not present, but...
\

The bad noise is still the same no matter what mode. Calling the service department tomorrow morning.