Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Cost of new windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Depends on the pebble. If it had a sharp edge, so much concentrated force would definitely cracked it. Ever seen videos of what a small porcelain shard can do to car windows, especially tempered glass?
Old 06-12-2017, 07:13 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by NovaQ7

One more thing that I'll mention is that I am suspect of the quality of the OEM windshield. When it got cracked, it was due to a tiny pebble hitting it at highway speed and it produced a 6" long crack parallel to the dash. Within a few days, the crack grew to over 12" long, and now this weekend the crack started creeping towards the top of the windshield so that it no looks like a hockey stick shape. I have only ever seen a pebble causing a ring-like or circle crack, so this makes no sense.

IMO I think it depends on the speed the pebble, rock etc is traveling because I've actually had it happen to me both ways.

Years back I had a pebble hit the passenger side of the OEM windshield of our MDX which caused a crack that could literally fit under a penny. Had Safelite seal it so it wouldn't expand. Approx a year later a pebble hit the same MDX windshield this time right in the drivers view which caused a 8" long vertical crack so it was replaced.

During one of my repairs years back a tech told me that once the glass is damaged sometimes all it takes for a chip in the glass to expand is to hit a bump hard enough.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Having my windshield replaced this Monday at the dealer, $900.
Hope the prices come down as more B9 models hit the road.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hearing all your stories now worries me for my new 2018 Q7 that I have on order. I currently have a P+ 2011 Q7 and have the windshield changed multiple times with Safelite with no problems, but I don't have any driver assistance in the current vehicle. I also had windshield coverage, so I never paid anything for the replacements either.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NovaQ7
So I called my dealership and the quote I got with installation was $1295, plus tax. The whole thing is a hassle because the dealer won't take payment from Geico and Geico will only pay $40 per hour labor, but the dealer charges a flat fee of $300.

I'm thinking of going with Safelite since it's way less hassle and Geico will take care of everything directly.

Question is: is this a bad idea? I know in general, everyone will say go with dealer and not Safelite. However, since Safelite will get the OEM glass from Audi, doesn't seem like things can go too bad.

Any input is appreciated.
thank you with the knowledge that they are getting the OEM glass I feel better that they are replacing my windshield here in Largo, FL 2014 Audi A4
Old 07-09-2020, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Audi windshields in the Q7 (and many more) are super thin glass as to reduce weight for better gas mileage. I had a small stinger near the middle and found a local shop that specializes in European cars. He was able to repair it and said that chip repair runs a very high risk of blowing with glass out due too how thin the windshield is.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

For those who (will) suffer, i got this Exoshield film that protects from rocks debris etc... been through a (reduced) ski season already and has been great so far. I normally went thru 1 windshield/ski season up 80 to Tahoe. Last some 2k$ windshield replacement on the 7 made me put it. Exoshield is some 400$, totally worth it IMHO.

Cheers,

Bob
Old 07-10-2020, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Just had mine replaced on a 2017 Q7 Prestige at dealer. $2,327.45. Here is a quick breakdown:

OEM windshield (4M0 845 099 B) - $1,073
Labor - $163
Install kit - $90
OEM rain sensor (8U0 955 609) - $81.67
OEM Dynamic re-calibration (4 wheel alignment, electronic alignment for adaptive cruise; adjust radar sensors; front camera alignment) - $750
Misc labor - $50
COVID-19 cleaning - $25
Tax - $93.69
I tend to agree that the dynamic re-calibration at the dealer is probably not necessary, but if you have the advanced driving capabilities (active lane assist) it's probably worth the piece of mind.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
HENDERSON 84785.pdf (322.6 KB, 292 views)
Old 07-10-2020, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewbrion
Just had mine replaced on a 2017 Q7 Prestige at dealer. $2,327.45. Here is a quick breakdown:

I tend to agree that the dynamic re-calibration at the dealer is probably not necessary, but if you have the advanced driving capabilities (active lane assist) it's probably worth the piece of mind.
Damn! Here's my last invoice. I've had 3 replaced, all in my driveway.

Last edited by Force-1; 07-10-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomarian
Hearing all your stories now worries me for my new 2018 Q7 that I have on order. I currently have a P+ 2011 Q7 and have the windshield changed multiple times with Safelite with no problems, but I don't have any driver assistance in the current vehicle. I also had windshield coverage, so I never paid anything for the replacements either.
I only learned about "glass replacement" coverage after paying Safelite $1k to replace the windshield in my daughter's Honda Civic which has driver assistance (otherwise the windshield replacement would've been like $300). The Safelite guy was shocked I didn't know about this coverage - I immediately went home and called my insurance company about this and signed up for full glass coverage (no deductible) on 3 cars to the tune of about $200. Turned out to be money well-spent as less than a year later a rock cracked the windshield on my S5 with DAP - insurance covered the whole thing which otherwise would have cost about $1,400 using Audi OEM glass as there was no aftermarket replacement available. I've used our local Safelite shop 3 times (2 replacements and 1 chip repair) in the last couple years and never had a problem with their work.

Quick Reply: Cost of new windshield?