Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

DAP in Snow Conditions

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
Yes, the ACC will stop working if there is slush on the little black radar domes at the outboard bottom of the grill. The radar can't see though the slush, so that makes sense. Annoying to have to stop the car and clean off the slush when the slush producing conditions stop. I wish the headlight washers sprayed the radar domes too.

I recently did a mod on my Q7 to add a washer spray for the rear camera that activates at the same time as the rear window washer. Got me thinking I could do the same for the radar domes tapped off the headlight washers (I have night vision, so I do have headlight washers).

Some concerns I have are: (1) not easy to get to the back of the headlight washers and radar domes; some hard to remove panels, (2) would the nozzles protruding from the plastic housing around the radar domes affect the radar functionality, (3) would the spray of water be sufficient to remove heavy slush, and (4) would the ACC cut off every time it's sprayed?

So, not sure if I'm going to attempt this or not. But perhaps this summer when it's warmer and cleaner for climbing under the car to remove panels.

We're all counting on you to do it Rick!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Its actually designed this way intentionally because perhaps you are smart enough, but the average joe is used to the car slowing down by itself now with ACC and will likely forget that ACC is not fully active and crash the vehicle. So yeah, they have to design it like this
Yeah, I guess I can't argue with that. :-)
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Paul Collurafici
We're all counting on you to do it Rick!
Right after you improve on my rear camera washer, Paul!
Old 03-10-2018, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Doc H
Point could be made that if there is enough slush/ice to cover the sensors, manual driving might be preferred. BMW works the same way....
The case I run into where I live, fairly often actually, is driving on slush covered roads for a while, than transition to dry pavement. I don't even try to the use the ACC in the slush; that would probably not end well. But it would be nice not to have to find a rest stop to pull over and clean the sensors. I often drive out of the lake-effect snow belt into the dry area and this is when I most often encounter this situation.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
Right after you improve on my rear camera washer, Paul!

Improve on what? It works. That's always good enough for me!!!
Old 03-11-2018, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc H
In the US, headlight washers only with the Night Vision package. Included in Canada and elsewhere with the Prestige package equivalent I believe.
Thx, everyone, for your input...I have night vision and therefore the washers on the front but I doubt anything would have cleared the caked-on slush...I also thought about the inability to just use the ACC and that it is probably a safety issue: if you can't use the DAP, you shouldn't use the ACC. Also, the slush filled my wheel wells so it was rubbing against the tires and I had to remove all of it by hand.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:54 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Follow this link to see the drawing with all the parts needed to install headlight washers aftermarket. (I don't think I will be doing this... looks too complex)
https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/e...7/859u/955300/
BUT this doesn't address the DAP... just headlights and night vision.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Well there are plenty of other manufacturers that allow you choose between regular or adaptive cruise, so I'm pretty sure Audi could do the same. It's ridiculous that Audi doesn't allow you to choose between the two, because there are times when adaptive wont' work but regular is totally appropriate. The example posted here shows how relevant being able to choose is.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Well there are plenty of other manufacturers that allow you choose between regular or adaptive cruise, so I'm pretty sure Audi could do the same. It's ridiculous that Audi doesn't allow you to choose between the two, because there are times when adaptive wont' work but regular is totally appropriate. The example posted here shows how relevant being able to choose is.
Agreed. My 2012 Q7 (which was replaced by my 2018 Q7), would allow for regular cruise control to be activated if the adaptive cruise control could not function properly. I hate it when manufacturers REMOVE capabilities in new model years. It also showed that Audi has given that option in the past.
Interestingly, that car did not have the Lane assist function, so I imagine the placement of the sensors was different, but it required much more adverse road conditions/snow before the adaptive cruise would stop working. Unfortunately, the newer models get blocked very easily with snow/ice buildup.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Isn't the front radar domes heated to melt off snow? I thought I saw that in the coding....

Quick Reply: DAP in Snow Conditions