Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Decided to buy a Q7 - need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Audi takes all of the "must have" features and sprinkles each one into expensive bundles. They do it on purpose so that you can't just get the things that you need without spending huge extra sums of money. An example of this is putting the must-have top-view camera in with the Virtual Cockpit and calling it the "Vision Package."

I will say, while I could live without the VC, I wouldn't even buy the car without a top-view camera. It is not only safer, but you can keep from curbing your wheels, and you can do three-point turns coming very close to other objects. So i would recommend the Vision Package.

Last edited by rsilvers129; 10-23-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hitchens97
I drove one today and loved it.

Thanks for the advice so far from these boards, and I promise to reciprocate once I own one.

I definitely want 3.0 Liter, Vision, and Driver Assistance - without these it's a deal stopper.

My ideal build is a Prestige with DA, or a P+ with DA and Vision.

Some questions

1) PP vs Prestige - Assuming I get the Vision on PP but it's included on Prestige, the difference from P+ to Presitge is 3K - worth it for things like HUD and vent seats?
2) Wheels - do they do anything other than decorative? On the Prestige it also seems you only get Summer tires on the 21 inch $1000 option, so I'd need to pay even more for AS
3) Cold weather package- this seems worth it, particularly since I want the all weather mats.
4) Custom Ordering: Do you get similar deals or less? Ideally I'd like to target 6-8% off.
5) Audi Owners Discount: I see people here say it's $1K, but it looks like $500 here in Bay Area?
6) Bay Area Dealers: I got a good deal on my Q5 from Livermore. Anyone got any dealers they like/hate in the SF Bay Area?
7) Other Packages: Any other advice on other packages?
8) Towing Package: I want to add a rear bike rack - do I need this? Is it better to get towing package after market?

Thanking you all in advance
I think others covered most of your questions, but here are a few thoughts:
1) I went from the PP to the Prestige b/c I wanted the night vision for where I live plus a few other options that weren't available on the PP.
2) I went with AS 20" wheels b/c they will handle better than 21" tires in the snow. The wider the tire, the more risk of hydroplaning/skidding. Narrower tires grip the road better.
3) I've always had the cold weather pkg--it's wonderful to heat up the steering wheel when it's 20 below...same thing for the side mirrors.
4) Discounts completely depend on the dealer and their motivation. Good luck finding a 6-8% discount.
5) There's a $500 discount, then another $500 if you finance through Audi. No discount for being an Audi Club member (which really annoys me).
7) I thought long and hard about the upgraded suspension system but it was just too much over my budget. A lot of people like the BOP pkg and are raving about the massage seats, but again, too pricey for me.
8) I've always had the towing pkg...don't get it after market.
Hope this helps!
Old 10-23-2017, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure I understand why if I get a Prestige at 70K vs a PP at 70K I'll be paying more for the Prestige?
3% residual difference between PP and Prestige.
10k miles per year lease rates are:
Prestige: 57% Residual and 0.00169 MF
Premium Plus: 60% Residual and 0.00169 MF

On a 70k car with 7% off, Prestige will roughly cost $62 more to lease.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Because on a lease, Prestige has 1% less residual value.
Ahh - OK, not leasing so not a problem.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Katskill
I think others covered most of your questions, but here are a few thoughts:
1) I went from the PP to the Prestige b/c I wanted the night vision for where I live plus a few other options that weren't available on the PP.
2) I went with AS 20" wheels b/c they will handle better than 21" tires in the snow. The wider the tire, the more risk of hydroplaning/skidding. Narrower tires grip the road better.
3) I've always had the cold weather pkg--it's wonderful to heat up the steering wheel when it's 20 below...same thing for the side mirrors.
4) Discounts completely depend on the dealer and their motivation. Good luck finding a 6-8% discount.
5) There's a $500 discount, then another $500 if you finance through Audi. No discount for being an Audi Club member (which really annoys me).
7) I thought long and hard about the upgraded suspension system but it was just too much over my budget. A lot of people like the BOP pkg and are raving about the massage seats, but again, too pricey for me.
8) I've always had the towing pkg...don't get it after market.
Hope this helps!
Thank you, it does.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a heads up. I love love the rock grey leather which I was concerned about with die transfer from jeans but's it's been easy to keep. Anytime I see any blue on the seats, every 2-3 months, I just use a cleaner and leather care brush and it comes right out. Now on the flip side I'm not so happy with the light grey carpet they also have. With other audi models they use black carpet with the rock grey, why oh why didn't they do that with the Q7! I have young kids and even with weathertech mats it's starting to look grubby where the kids jump in and out after almost 6 months, oh crap my free trial of audi connect is almost up . I haven't tried cleaning the carpet yet but when I do I'll report back on how well it cleans up.

This is the only negative thought I've had about this car and what I would change next time....especially if I had the 2018 color options
Old 10-23-2017, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mccfaepdx
Just a heads up. I love love the rock grey leather which I was concerned about with die transfer from jeans but's it's been easy to keep. Anytime I see any blue on the seats, every 2-3 months, I just use a cleaner and leather care brush and it comes right out. Now on the flip side I'm not so happy with the light grey carpet they also have. With other audi models they use black carpet with the rock grey, why oh why didn't they do that with the Q7! I have young kids and even with weathertech mats it's starting to look grubby where the kids jump in and out after almost 6 months, oh crap my free trial of audi connect is almost up . I haven't tried cleaning the carpet yet but when I do I'll report back on how well it cleans up.

This is the only negative thought I've had about this car and what I would change next time....especially if I had the 2018 color options
I've always liked grey leather in cars, but there are so few of them about in Q7s. I'd say 70% are black.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

So thanks for all the responses. I closed on a Presitge with DA and Cold Weather. Had to get it from SoCal (I'm in NorCal), so will arrive within about a week,

Very excited; once again, thanks for all the help. I suspect I'll still be a net asker of questions rather than answerer for a few months, but let me at least start contributing by saying what I got in pricing for those of you in CA.

I got it for $65K, about 6K off (including my $500 audi loyalty bonus). It's about 8% off;I'll post details in the MSRP thread.

FWIW - for those of you in NorCal and SoCal, I got that price pretty quickly from dealers. I suspect if I'd have really pushed it, I might have been able to queeze another $1K by playing people off, but I felt it was a reasonable price.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Drove it for the first time today. Love it. Glad I got the Prestige because I really like the HUD.

Thanks to everyone on the forum. BTW - any advice on how you got up to speed on all the features and informatics? Feels like I have a lot to learn....
Old 11-08-2017, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Drove it for the first time today. Love it. Glad I got the Prestige because I really like the HUD.

Thanks to everyone on the forum. BTW - any advice on how you got up to speed on all the features and informatics? Feels like I have a lot to learn....
Yes, have the dealer walk you through it. After 45 min you will be a pro. My dealer spent a lot of time walking through the features with me, and I retained about 80%, which is good enough

Quick Reply: Decided to buy a Q7 - need some advice