Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Deer Hit

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deer Hit

Make: Audi Q7 Prestige MkII - I received this April 2016.
I currently have around 12k miles on the vehicle.

Deer Strike:
Last week (12/20) I hit a deer going around 40 mph. I was on a dark road with a corn field on my passenger side. I had a vehicle in front of me so I couldn't use the auto-high beams. A 6-point buck came out from the passenger side going to the driver side.

I'll try to compare this to the deer hit I had last year in my wifes 2011 VW Touareg. Same speed and around the same size deer.

The Hit:
---------
Happy to say the Audi was sturdy on the hit. No loss in vehicle control.
Impact was to the front of the vehicle, a nice solid head on hit. One of the front lights took a hit but kept on working.

Front and side Air bags deployed (as you can see in the pictures).
The rear side air bags deployed (maybe because the vehicle went into a dive and thought the rear was going up?).
The back seats were all folded down as I was carrying xmas presents and luggage. I do not know yet if the rear belts blew or not.

The front seat belts blew/locked into place.

As expected the cabin filled up with a lot of airbag smoke/dust. I would say there was more airbag smoke in the cabin compared to the Touareg. Unlike the Touareg I had to exit the vehicle a little faster this time to be able to breath.

Visibility after the hit was limited and maybe a bit less than the Touareg. I think the front airbag may be a bit larger or maybe the rate at which air discharged could have been different. I'm no expert on the subject just going by what I remember.

The side curtain airbags seemed to come down further than the Touareg. The side airbags did not deflate after the hit. The only problem with this is that my mother (passenger) was not familiar with my vehicle and so she had a hard time trying to find the door handle with the bag in the way. Then exiting the vehicle you have to push and duck under the bag to get out. I'm not complaining about the airbag system, just letting everyone know what to expect.

I'm trying to remember if the interior lights came on after the hit.. they may have.

The vehicle does the normal shutdown after a hit, so trying to steer the vehicle to the side of the road is always a challenge. I managed to do it.

Audi Road Side Support:
Note: I no longer pay for Audi services like google maps or Internet on the vehicle. So I was surprised when I stopped the vehicle that the car's phone was ringing. Sure enough it was Audi roadside support calling me informing me that they received an alert that I was in a vehicle accident. The lady on the phone was very nice and understanding. She quickly used the GPS from the vehicle and dispatched police to my location. She was also able to give me an ETA on their arrival which was nice.

Unfortunately my papago Dash Cam failed me and did not record the deer hit. damn, I wish it did.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I believe the airbag cracked the window (or it may have been the deer antler I knocked off).

The rear view mirror fell off
Old 12-27-2016, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This is what the front used to look like

Old 12-27-2016, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch! Glad to hear you are safe, good luck with the repairs.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Your front license plate changed from US to European looking between the accident
Old 12-27-2016, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

I would think the side curtain airbags are designed not to deflate in case the vehicle rolls several times.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glad you are OK...

… one of the consequences of expanding suburban communities and the recovery of nearly 600 million acres of mixed woodlands nationwide, has been the increased number of car/deer strikes. Over 1.2M such collisions each year in the United States make white-tailed deer one of the most dangerous wildlife problems to manage. It is hard to gather robust data on this issue, but State Farm Insurance provides national statistics. About 200 people/year are killed each year in these interactions. Thank goodness you are all OK.

Eric
Old 12-27-2016, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Glad u you are safe....Sorry about the q
Old 12-27-2016, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Force-1
I would think the side curtain airbags are designed not to deflate in case the vehicle rolls several times.
Several times? I'd want it to deploy if it even just goes over on it side! Also you'd want them to deploy on a side impact as well not just if it rolls over several times.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow, glad you're safe. Thanks for sharing all the details -- very interesting, even though we don't have too high risk of hitting animals in NZ.

Quick Reply: Deer Hit