Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Does anyone in the United States have a dealer installed Universal Traffic Recorder?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does anyone in the United States have a dealer installed Universal Traffic Recorder?

Does anyone in the United States have the dealer installed Universal Traffic Recorder? I wasn't sure on it's availability:

https://shops.audi.com/en_GB/web/acc...-4g0063511a-10

If so, how do you like it?

I installed an after market papago front camera on my BMW, tapped into the overhead console for power. As our Q7 is a new car and under warranty I'm hesitant to touch/mod it.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Many Audi’s have 360 view cameras so the information source is already there. Integrating it into a UTR is a relatively simple project that people will pay for to eliminate the add on appendages and wiring monstrosities so it’s about time that Audi offered this option and standardized its inclusion into all its high end models.
Its available now but the US will probably not see it for years as Audi US is the last to get the latest high tech options.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

When I took possession of my car last week, I asked the dealer rep about UTR - apparently, they have never heard of it (not surprised). If you search, a few people have been able to install it themselves and some had independent shops do it for them. I believe that Audi dealerships in Europe would install these - I bought my UTR from a UK Audi dealership via Ebay and plan to pay an independent shop to install it.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So what would be the difference between this one and a traditional non-OEM product......????
Old 08-14-2018, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dohturdima
When I took possession of my car last week, I asked the dealer rep about UTR - apparently, they have never heard of it (not surprised). If you search, a few people have been able to install it themselves and some had independent shops do it for them. I believe that Audi dealerships in Europe would install these - I bought my UTR from a UK Audi dealership via Ebay and plan to pay an independent shop to install it.
Which country are you in? (Please put location under your logon name). How much did you pay?
Old 08-14-2018, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DB22

Which country are you in? (Please put location under your logon name). How much did you pay?
Sorry - I live in US, bought it on Ebay a few months ago.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Dohturdima, it would be great if you share a few thoughts on it after it's been installed and have you had a chance to try it out.

I realize they are more expensive than buying after market cameras assuming comparable features/capabilities, however from the demo video I saw it looked like the front camera mounted to the rear view mirror track (unsure how the rear camera mounts), which looked much better than using suction cup mounts. The units themselves look nice from the stock photos, also interested to know how they tap/add the power cables and if they are integrated at all with any of the cars controlls/systems.

Last edited by Tiburblium; 08-15-2018 at 03:13 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
Many Audi’s have 360 view cameras so the information source is already there. Integrating it into a UTR is a relatively simple project that people will pay for to eliminate the add on appendages and wiring monstrosities so it’s about time that Audi offered this option and standardized its inclusion into all its high end models.
Its available now but the US will probably not see it for years as Audi US is the last to get the latest high tech options.
Exactly. I would pay my $$ to get that kind of option, if it's available. I see Audi offers a lot more options in other markets than in the US.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I stopped by my A/V installer, but he is short handed at the moment - I will probably wait until September to do it. In the meantime, I am looking for - and can't find the Aufi UTR app - any ideas?
Old 08-17-2018, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiburblium
Does anyone in the United States have the dealer installed Universal Traffic Recorder? I wasn't sure on it's availability:

https://shops.audi.com/en_GB/web/acc...-4g0063511a-10

If so, how do you like it?

I installed an after market papago front camera on my BMW, tapped into the overhead console for power. As our Q7 is a new car and under warranty I'm hesitant to touch/mod it.

Just looked it up. It shouldn't be too much hassle to make the installation. I doubt if any dealer in the US would install it as it's generally not available in the US market. But, if we do the installation, would that void warranty?

Quick Reply: Does anyone in the United States have a dealer installed Universal Traffic Recorder?