Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

FINALLY - Brake Squeal Resolved!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,170 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by bottles63
I can't believe they still haven't fixed the problem. Personally, I think the rotors don't work well with semi-metallic pads(stock pads). I have been using Power stop ceramic pads for a few months now. The squealing noise is gone, but lack of stopping power. I guess you can't have both. I have to blame Akebono on this one. This is their caliper and the producer for OEM brake pads. All these years, they don't have any brake pads for Q7. https://akebonobrakes.mypartfinder.com/
Originally Posted by aquarian
Others have reported as good or better stopping power compared to OEM, so it's interesting to hear about your comparison. Are you talking about everyday stop and go traffic, normal legal speed driving or high speed stopping power?
i would like to know the answer to the question above. traditionally ceramic pads do not have really good heat tolerance compared to a semi-metallic pad. they also don't provide the same awesome cold bite that a semi-metallic pad does. I have been doing a lot of driving for skiing and need cold bite. and I MEAN COLD. car pegged -22F on the way up to Vermont on Saturday morning on the highway at 80mph.

i put in some energit cheap pads and they are not holding up well. stopping power is great but I think i glazed the rear rotors already after a couple thousand miles. come time for my next brake job I will most likely stick to EBC yellowstuff pads since those can take my brutal driving style...
Old 01-26-2022, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't believe they still haven't fixed the problem. Personally, I think the rotors don't work well with semi-metallic pads(stock pads). I have been using Power stop ceramic pads for a few months now. The squealing noise is gone, but lack of stopping power. I guess you can't have both. I have to blame Akebono on this one. This is their caliper and the producer for OEM brake pads. All these years, they don't have any brake pads for Q7. https://akebonobrakes.mypartfinder.com/
Akebono does make pads for the Q7. Akebono Pads at FCP Euro
Old 01-27-2022, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,170 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lemon
problem with that is there is no matching set for all 4 corners. ideally you should have the same compound and brand pad on all 4 corners. unless you are talking about a very specific motorsports application....
Old 01-27-2022, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mhoran89
problem with that is there is no matching set for all 4 corners. ideally you should have the same compound and brand pad on all 4 corners. unless you are talking about a very specific motorsports application....
Valid point. I have set of rear ATE Ceramic pads coming from Trodo oversears: ATE Rear Ceramic
I'm waiting to find out more information on the front pad composition as I see no information if they are ceramic or semi-metallic.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I think FCP Euro made a mistake, that pad doesn't look right for the front.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I believe they are using a "stock photo". I will upload a picture once I get the pads delivered.

I contacted ATE and they advised that they do not make ceramic brake pads for any vehicles over 300hp, FYI.

Last edited by David Lemon; 01-27-2022 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 792 Likes on 606 Posts

I believe they are using a "stock photo". I will upload a picture once I get the pads delivered.

I contacted ATE and they advised that they do not make ceramic brake pads for any vehicles over 300hp, FYI.
Brembo produces low dust pads (NAO): https://www.bremboparts.com/africa/e...ro/000142570-1
Old 01-27-2022, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by retom
Brembo produces low dust pads (NAO): https://www.bremboparts.com/africa/e...ro/000142570-1
Thanks for the info. On a side note, I could not find stainless steel brake hoses for the 4M Q7 until I stumbled upon a custom option from HEL Performance this should contribute to better brake feel.

Old 02-08-2022, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Bottles you were correct., FCP has a mistake on their website

and sent an incompatible set of Akebono pads.
Old 02-15-2022, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just FYI, I special ordered a set of Carbotech street pads for the Q7. They were rather pricey but I have heard good things about them and hopefully they will last the remainder of my ownership.

Quick Reply: FINALLY - Brake Squeal Resolved!!!