Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

First Audi purchase - absolutely great !

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 11:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Audi purchase - absolutely great !

Question first, then story.

Question:
Can rear-side airbags be added after purchase?

Story:
I knew of the rear side airbags and was definitely interested until I visited multiple dealerships and was convinced otherwise. I asked the first few dealerships I visited why so few models had the rear seat side airbag option. Two separate dealerships advised that families with children generally do not want rear side airbags for safety concerns. Their explanations clearly made intuitive sense at the time. Based on this information, I ended up purchasing a black on black P+ 3.0 with some options, but obviously no rear side airbags. After browsing this forum and further research, I realized I was fooled. Definitely shame on me for allowing this to happen. However, I still cannot understand why this is such a low cost option that is difficult to find? Also, the false information I received is so plain out wrong!

This was our very first new luxury car purchase, meant to be our family car for several years to come. My wife and I work hard to provide the safest environment we can for our kid, and we would really like to have these side airbags.

I'd be grateful for any helpful comments or advice.

p.s. I do not have the financial flexibility to simply get a new car or anything drastic. I would be willing and able to pay significantly more than $350 (cost of the option) to get them installed now. Am I crazy for thinking this can be reasonably affordable?
Old 11-07-2017, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This seems to be a common misleading statement dealers seem to be making to talk people out of getting side airbags.

Do you have an email exchange with any of the dealers where they mentioned that you don't need these rear side airbags? I would imagine that if you did, you could use that as an argument thar you were mislead. And since safety is involved, it would be a compelling argument.

I don't know about Audi, but other manufacturers will allow you to do a trade assist. It's usually done to upgrade you from a previous year model. The concept is that you forgo the instalments you have already paid, you get into a new car and continue to pay the same monthly amount as before. So, if you have not had the car for long, this is an option you could consider if such an option exists with Audi. I'd suggest contacting other dealers, they would be happy to get your business.

I don't know if you can add rear side airbags after your purchase. Maybe contact a body shop. They would definitely know.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ123
Question:
Can rear-side airbags be added after purchase?
The simple answer to your question is no. It is sad to hear that you were misled by the dealerships into believing otherwise regarding the rear-side airbags. As the previous comment suggests, if its not been too long since you purchased the vehicle and have any written communication on this matter, I would follow up with the dealership to have the vehicle replaced.

Hope it works out for you. Good luck!
Old 11-07-2017, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

As a rule of thumb, assuming you haven't taken delivery yet you can get your deposit back especially if you felt misled by the salesman. In which case you can just search for a model with the airbags or reorder if waiting is your time frame. If the order was submitted recently you can probably add the option to it without penalty (before you get the 'start production email').

You can also order a new one with the airbags and search your region for inventory and get the inventory vehicle and cancel your order, that would give you a plan B if you want/need the vehicle sooner rather than later.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brimstone
As a rule of thumb, assuming you haven't taken delivery yet you can get your deposit back especially if you felt misled by the salesman. In which case you can just search for a model with the airbags or reorder if waiting is your time frame. If the order was submitted recently you can probably add the option to it without penalty (before you get the 'start production email').

You can also order a new one with the airbags and search your region for inventory and get the inventory vehicle and cancel your order, that would give you a plan B if you want/need the vehicle sooner rather than later.
The OP hasn't got an order to amend, if you read the first post he already has the car....or at least that's how I read it. I doubt if he'd be asking for retro fit advice if it hadn't even come off the production line yet.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I dont think that ordering a new one is an option OP wants. Also, proving a dealer said dont get the air bags will be tough one, and harder to get a trade outcome.
OP - People get very heated up about this airbag thing. I ordered the rear bags on my Q, but honestly, I could live without them if I bought one off the lot. The Q is built to a very high standard, and you should feel safe in it regardless of the bags.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well if you've taken delivery then other than finding a shop that would add it aftermarket (not sure if its possible, which may be the original question, but that wasn't clear to me - i think I substituted 'purchase' in his post with 'order' mentally) I think the only option is to get rid of the vehicle and get a new one. Unless you live in a state with some consumer protection law that would allow you to return the vehicle within X days for Y reasons.

Obviously you can try and find a one with airbags at a nearby dealership see if you can work out a deal. I'm sure you'll lose some money, but if you drove onto a lot and got the same car with the airbags for $500 (trade in your car + $500, drive off with the new one) now would you do it for $2k, $3k, $4k? You might have to fudge numbers a bit if the new car has an extra or missing feature (or you don't like colors as much) you can also just try to list the vehicle on craigslist or something probably can get a bit more than a trade that way. (I think your odds of doing it for less than a $3k loss stink, but you don't know until you try and you'll still probably be around $3k loss if you do it in 6 months, unless you put crazy miles on the vehicle)
Old 11-07-2017, 07:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the replies thus far. I already took delivery? Is the preceding sentence even accurate if I buy a car off the lot? Buying a car sitting in dealer inventory was the way our family has always done it -- no reason to special order a Camry, right? Living the dream, and grateful to be able to now afford a large, safe vehicle for the family. I suppose special ordering vehicles and having it built to my 100% liking would be nice in the future. Anyhow, definitely bummed that our first nice family car doesn't have rear side impact airbags. I wouldn't care if none of them offered it, but so disappointed that my Q7 is less safe than some others. I fully understand that brighter headlights, DAP, and many other features can definitely be considered safety features that allow one to drive safer; however, a safety restraint airbag is useful even when the vehicle is not moving.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I already took delivery? Is the preceding sentence even accurate if I buy a car off the lot?
"Taking delivery" is the process where in:
1. you sign for the title
2. salesman goes over car features with you
3. you pay for it.

After which the car is considered "used" and you drive it off the lot. Because of financing and trades and custom orders a lot of vehicle sales can and do involve more complex circumstances and everything is not done all at once.

Even if you drive the car 1 mile (less than a test drive) and back to the dealership they would have to sell it as a used vehicle at that point. Which is where the financial burden of flipping the vehicle quickly comes in. Some buyers look past it, since the warranty is still valid, but others won't. My mom I think got a "used" car once that had less than 5 miles on the odometer (some guy won it in a contest and never drove it). It saved her some money.

I'd guess more than half the people here probably ordered their Q7 and wait 3-4 months for it. Supply seems better than it was a year ago, but still I think a lot of us if you plan on spending $60k+ for a vehicle would just assume get what we want rather than spending about the same amount and feeling lacking in some way. Its a bit different than a Camry as inventory is much lower so its harder to find something in the color/options desired (in fact a small Toyota dealer probably has more choices on lot than a large Audi dealer).

It seems to me like the salesman just wanted you to buy something to get you to do it (since they should be knowledgeable on the vehicles I'm not sure I would even take ignorance for an excuse). If you've only had the car for a very short while you can certainly ask the dealership if they can switch it for you (being told no is the same as not asking aside from the effort level of actually asking) although that would likely cost you something (unless you got an otherwise cheaper model w/airbags). Otherwise I don't know if there's a consumer protection law that could help you out.

With the supply being not the greatest, you can try the private sale route and maybe not lose so much and go get another afterwards. If someone likes your build and doesn't want to wait 4 months for one you might be able to get rid of it for minimal loss.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Buying a car sitting in dealer inventory was the way our family has always done it -- no reason to special order a Camry, right?
No, no reason to. But when you start spending $70k+ it starts to be worth it to get exactly what you want. Lessons learned for the future, One thing I've learned is that people will say what you want to hear, to close a deal. So, one should do their own research and make their own decisions, even if that means a 3-4 month wait. For someone so concerned about safety, I am surprised that you didn't make the rear bag a deal-breaker. It think OP is **** out of luck here. Yeah you can sell it, but you'll lose money and the tax you paid on it. This may be your best bet at this point. Or you can take a "chance" at life and continue to drive an unsafe car.

Quick Reply: First Audi purchase - absolutely great !