Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Front Tires are chunking on edges - only have 6500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front Tires are chunking on edges - only have 6500 miles

I have Goodyear Eagle Sports on my Q7 and I noticed today that on the outside edge of both front tires there is chunking taking place (the back is fine). I have had the car for a year and a half and only have 6500 miles on it. Do you think Audi would replace these?

Old 07-12-2020, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Enjoy your new Pirelli tires!
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...72603-0001.pdf
The following 2 users liked this post by NABS4:
calculi (09-09-2021), ihabd4 (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks - appreciate it!
Old 07-13-2020, 02:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Heads up. TSB is 12 month limit, gl.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yup, just called dealer and they indicated that I was beyond the 12 months. Advisor was going to check w/ manager and get back to me but I already know the answer. Next try is Goodyear directly as the Eagles do have a tread warranty...
Old 07-13-2020, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Seriously!?! The amount of time shouldn't matter - it should be a mileage limit. If you have more than 8/32" tread left, I'd push it hard with the manager pointing out that you only have 6,500 miles on the tires. I can understand them not replacing really worn tires with 30,000 miles based on chunking, but in your case with so few miles, the fact that you are over 12 months should be irrelevant. Hopefully they can replace them regardless using "goodwill."
Old 07-14-2020, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I know, it's frustrating. My Audi service advisor said they have less leeway w/ the current economic climate. I talked to Goodyear and they set up a case number and had me go to Discount Tire to have it assessed. They are basically giving me a credit for unused tread which is decent but still involves cost. Here are the options (I have 10/32 left on all tires but one on the front which has 9/32 [11/32 is new]):

- Replace the two fronts with new Goodyear Eagle Sports: $219
- Replace all 4 tires with new Goodyear Eagle Sports: $375
- Replace all 4 tires with Pirelli Scorpion Verde RFT: $498
All prices are out the door installed

I want to keep the run flats, so options are limited. I know this doesn't fix the problem, but probably leaning toward just replacing the front two. I'd basically be throwing out two good tires in the back if I went w/ the Pirelli's and I've read a lot of negatives on road noise they cause. I know in 18 months or so I'll be right back to where I am today if I go with the Goodyears, but considering we don't put a lot of miles on it, it does buy me some time. Kinda BS that I would have to pay over $200 for 6500 miles and I don't think it should happen, but appears if I want to get new tires this is my only option. My contact at Discount Tire was very familiar with this issue as his parents have a Q7 with the same setup. He said he got them out of the run flats and put them into a 275/50 which can fit on the current wheel. He feels that no matter the run flat, I would eventually see the chunking and because of the all-wheel drive and sportier suspension of Audi. FWIW, Discount Tire said that there is no safety risk riding on the chunked tires, they just may get loud over time.

Last edited by A4ERM; 07-14-2020 at 01:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mesquite77 (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

So my question to you is, what do you plan to do next year when your two new front Goodyears are chunking and your back tires are at 9/32? Are you going to get two more new Goodyear tires that you will be paying full price for?
Old 07-14-2020, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by A4ERM
I want to keep the run flats, so options are limited. I know this doesn't fix the problem, but probably leaning toward just replacing the front two. I'd basically be throwing out two good tires in the back if I went w/ the Pirelli's and I've read a lot of negatives on road noise they cause. .
I have the Pirelli's on my 2020 Q7 and road noise is pretty much unnoticeable. Only on a freeway with rain grooves is there any sort of different sound than on regular pavement and it isn't all that loud, either. I can turn on the sound system to a very low volume and hear the music clearly at any legal speed (and then some). I can't imagine how a tire can be quieter than how mine perform. Keep in mind that I'm talking about tires with less than 2k miles on them.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,178 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave_
I have the Pirelli's on my 2020 Q7 and road noise is pretty much unnoticeable. Only on a freeway with rain grooves is there any sort of different sound than on regular pavement and it isn't all that loud, either. I can turn on the sound system to a very low volume and hear the music clearly at any legal speed (and then some). I can't imagine how a tire can be quieter than how mine perform. Keep in mind that I'm talking about tires with less than 2k miles on them.
Go to a non run-flat tire and you will see what it's like. You are carrying something like half the tire weight around and they have much less metal in them... if you are near Boston I would offer anyone to take a ride in my car with 275/45/20 Conti DWS 06 NON RUN-FLAT.

Quick Reply: Front Tires are chunking on edges - only have 6500 miles