Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Google and Apple Maps

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Google and Apple Maps

Both Route selection and traffic flow on google maps and apple are less then ideal or inaccurate, in the case of color coding the traffic flow. Waze is far more accurate. Ashamed Audi didn't integrate Waze.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jfrano
Both Route selection and traffic flow on google maps and apple are less then ideal or inaccurate, in the case of color coding the traffic flow. Waze is far more accurate. Ashamed Audi didn't integrate Waze.
If you are using Android Auto, you can pick Waze instead of Google Map for navigation.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Xing Yu
If you are using Android Auto, you can pick Waze instead of Google Map for navigation.
I'm using an iPhone 6+. That's great that you can integrate into the MMI on the Audi.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Something to ponder on this subject. Everybody and their mother using Waze is not necessarily a good thing. These problems are being noticed throughout the country and keeps city planners and traffic engineers awake at night coming up with ways to combat the issue.

Driving apps like Waze are creating new traffic problems | KALW
Old 08-16-2017, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I believe Waze not working on iphone is mostly apples fault, a little waze's fault 0% Audi's fault.

(google bought waze, but I think Apple wants you to use their app anyways)

I'm pretty tempted to just move to android in the next year or so iOS gets worse every update.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/07/...oid-auto-beta/
Old 08-16-2017, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Xing Yu
does this actually work yet in audi's? according to cnet, not yet...
Old 08-16-2017, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Brimstone
I believe Waze not working on iphone is mostly apples fault, a little waze's fault 0% Audi's fault.

(google bought waze, but I think Apple wants you to use their app anyways)

I'm pretty tempted to just move to android in the next year or so iOS gets worse every update.
I've actually heard different reason. One reason being Apple as usual not approving third-party mapping apps for Car Play. Other reason I heard is Google not having any interest adding Car Play support to Google Maps or Waze. I suppose it's another of these wars for dominance at the moment. Each side sees a new opportunity to get users to adopt their platform, because of which apps they can use while in the car. This is really why I think both Android Auto and Car Play are majorly flawed at the moment. Politics are always getting in the way of good ideas. I'm kinda excited about the all new MMI Audi demonstrated in the Q8 concept. It's based on Android running in the car and optimized for multiple displays. Dash, center screen and climate controls screen are all controlled by the Android based system. Projecting your mobile phone's screen onto the MMI is really just a stopgap solution in my opinion.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by OneOfOne
does this actually work yet in audi's? according to cnet, not yet...
I can confirm that you can in fact use Waze, at least in a 2018 Q7. I used it the other day. It's nice, but the one feature that's lacking is an inability to enter destinations by voice for Waze. You can for both the Audi version and Android Auto version of Google Maps (using the OK Google keyword).
Old 08-16-2017, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nutcracker1
I can confirm that you can in fact use Waze, at least in a 2018 Q7. I used it the other day. It's nice, but the one feature that's lacking is an inability to enter destinations by voice for Waze. You can for both the Audi version and Android Auto version of Google Maps (using the OK Google keyword).
as long as the hazard and cop information is intact I am good. thank you

Quick Reply: Google and Apple Maps