Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Grill At Bottom of Rearmost Side Windows

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Grill At Bottom of Rearmost Side Windows

Can anyone enlighten me on the purpose of the rectangular grills located at the base of the rearmost side windows. We have a slobbery Boxer that will be riding with us occasionally and I would rather he not snarf these up. They will be difficult to clean. Also, our headliner and pillar trim is alcantara (luxury package) and would like to gather some ideas on how to clean dog off of the alcantara. I have purchased a fabric sealer from chemical guys and alcantara cleaner from Sonax. I also purchased a custom fit cargo liner from Cargoliner.com and a webbed barrier from Amazon specific to the Q7. Maybe I should have kept the MDX, that I sold, as the Dogmobile. Thanks in advance for you input.

Last edited by jahummel; 05-09-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummel
Can anyone enlighten me on the purpose of the rectangular grills located at the base of the rearmost side windows. We have a slobbery Boxer that will be riding with us occasionally and I would rather he not snarf these up. They will be difficult to clean. Also, our headliner and pillar trim is alcantara (luxury package) and would like to gather some ideas on how to clean dog off of the alcantara. I have purchased a fabric sealer from chemical guys and alcantara cleaner from Sonax. I also purchased a custom fit cargo liner from Cargoliner.com and a webbed barrier from Amazon specific to the Q7. Maybe I should have kept the MDX, that I sold, as the Dogmobile. Thanks in advance for you input.
I believe the grills are rear air vent covers.
Home Page | Leatherique Restoration Products - sold on Amazon.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I believe those are pressure relief valves. They are not part of the A/C system. You could cover them when the dog’s riding. May make the doors harder to close.
Alcantara supposedly easy to clean but no experience.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Maybe I should have kept the MDX, that I sold, as the Dogmobile.
Well, you could get a van and do what we did. But we are selling the van and getting a Q7. Dogs will in the back of the Ridgeline pickup with a canopy. BTW, what webbed barrier did you find on Amazon?

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2019, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

This fits nicely in the back of the Q7. Safer for the dog, and the humans too:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-10-2019, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

This is what I bought and it fits nicely.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0797L2PBD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0797L2PBD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-10-2019, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RickObe
This fits nicely in the back of the Q7. Safer for the dog, and the humans too:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Looks good. Safer than nothing at all but not as safe something that is bolted to the rear seat retainers or other structural parts. In a serious accident the dog, crate, and all, would be thrown about. But it would help in a less than serious accident. BTW, I have not used one but there are crash tested dog crates available:

https://gunnerkennels.com/
Old 05-10-2019, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is what I bought and it fits nicely.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks! Nice to find stuff actually designed for the specific vehicle. Too much generic "one size fits all" crap out there which mostly does not work!
Old 05-10-2019, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Astropup
Safer than nothing at all but not as safe something that is bolted to the rear seat retainers or other structural parts.
Absolutely true. The bulletproof crates tend to be quite expensive and difficult to remove. The one I posted is a fairly tight fit so it won't go very far in a crash. But I too would recommend one of the higher end ones if you could afford it. As you say, anything is better than a dog totally loose and becoming a projectile in a crash.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RickObe
The one I posted is a fairly tight fit so it won't go very far in a crash.
Ah! OK, that makes sense. You are correct that it is all about how much the dog can move in the crate as well as how much the crate can move in the vehicle. The dog enclosure I pictured is in my wife's van, which is what is being traded. It was great for two large dogs (Old English Sheepdogs) but we recently got a third so they will be (mostly) going in my truck with a canopy. That is why I am looking into strap down crash resistant cages.

OTOH, one or two of them may sometimes go in the back of the new Q7 (which replaces the van) which is why it would be nice to have something there as well, perhaps something that can be used in both places.

I appreciate all the suggestions, many of these products I have not seen before.

Quick Reply: Grill At Bottom of Rearmost Side Windows