Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Had a little fun today...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Had a little fun today...

...and from now on, my Q7 is equipped with Amazon Alexa.

Placed an Echo dot in the arm-rest console, connected it to the hot-spot and hooked it up to the AUX-input (Bluetooth doesn't work since Echo doesn't support PIN).

Works like a charm and is HUUUGE fun..

Last edited by AudiFanFL; 08-02-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

oh great now I'mna have to do this when I get into a vehicle now
Old 08-02-2017, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
oh great now I'mna have to do this when I get into a vehicle now

True. I always have to smile when I see the 'Alexa'-commercials on TV because every time they mention 'Alexa', my own devices come alive.

I was just amazed how well this is working. I'm a tech-geek and this simple yet cheap add-on has a lot to offer. Also, it just works perfectly on the Q7. Not every vehicle is set up for such a seamless integration. Heck, it even gets my commands while the music is on and without me opening the console.

I can now even make a drop-in 'emergency-call' to my family-members at home in case I forgot my cell. After all, you don't need your phone for this.

Turning on/off landscape-lights, setting A/C-temperature at home or obtaning all sorts of info without taking your hands off the steering-wheel certainly makes things easier.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiFanFL

True. I always have to smile when I see the 'Alexa'-commercials on TV because every time they mention 'Alexa', my own devices come alive.

I was just amazed how well this is working. I'm a tech-geek and this simple yet cheap add-on has a lot to offer. Also, it just works perfectly on the Q7. Not every vehicle is set up for such a seamless integration. Heck, it even gets my commands while the music is on and without me opening the console.

I can now even make a drop-in 'emergency-call' to my family-members at home in case I forgot my cell. After all, you don't need your phone for this.

Turning on/off landscape-lights, setting A/C-temperature at home or obtaning all sorts of info without taking your hands off the steering-wheel certainly makes things easier.
Would this be any different than using Siri?
Old 08-02-2017, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sabca
Would this be any different than using Siri?
Difficult for me to answer because I'm not familiar with Siri. I'd say the general idea of controlling devices by voice is similar. How well siri can be integrated into the vehicle..that, I don't know.

Interesting comparison:

https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-diff...have-an-iPhone
Old 08-25-2017, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What I really enjoyed so far is using Alexa to virtually play any song that comes to my mind. With prime music unlimited, there are millions of songs available to select by voice-command - and the sound-quality over the AUX-connection is better than my .mp3s on my SD-card. That was the biggest surprise so far.

Of course, selecting radio-stations by voice from all over the world via Tune-in is also not too bad and again, the sound-quality is great.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How are you supplying power to the Echo Dot in your Q7?
Old 08-25-2017, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jaywagenaar
How are you supplying power to the Echo Dot in your Q7?
I simply plugged mine into one of the two USB-plugs in the center-console. I even used the original wire. I just unplugged the power-adapter and connected it in the console.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was intrigued with the Echo Dot "mod" so went ahead and got one and added it to the Q7. Hooked into the car's WiFi, power via the USB and then the mini jack into Aux 2. The sound quality of music via the Echo Dot is significantly beyond XM or the iPhone (bluetooth or USB). I'm only a mild audiophile and my hearing isn't quite what it used to be but it's not a minor difference, it's a major difference. Great mod!

Only question I have and haven't been able to figure out, is how much WiFi data do we get per month via Audi Connect? Consulted the site and there is an indication around 6mb so I assume that's for a six month period? Anyone know? I suspect I'll be using more data now with this Echo Dot! TIA.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by crumbird
I was intrigued with the Echo Dot "mod" so went ahead and got one and added it to the Q7. Hooked into the car's WiFi, power via the USB and then the mini jack into Aux 2. The sound quality of music via the Echo Dot is significantly beyond XM or the iPhone (bluetooth or USB). I'm only a mild audiophile and my hearing isn't quite what it used to be but it's not a minor difference, it's a major difference. Great mod!

Only question I have and haven't been able to figure out, is how much WiFi data do we get per month via Audi Connect? Consulted the site and there is an indication around 6mb so I assume that's for a six month period? Anyone know? I suspect I'll be using more data now with this Echo Dot! TIA.
its 6GB not 6MB

Quick Reply: Had a little fun today...