Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

homelink garage door programing

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default homelink garage door programing

The book says how to program, which is different from the homelink Audi video's directions, which is different from You tube audi video...tried 'em all. Nothing seems to work????
Old 03-12-2017, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Quick search on the forum finds this The search box is your friend.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...erner-2903934/
Old 03-13-2017, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Also on Homelink website you can find videos. It took me 5 tries to program remote with fixed code, eventually worked.
The following users liked this post:
uberwgn (04-04-2022)
Old 03-13-2017, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by anemeth
Also on Homelink website you can find videos. It took me 5 tries to program remote with fixed code, eventually worked.
got my new prestige on Thursday. Sales rep told me to have remote in hand, press desired homelink button and follow directions on screen. Worked perfectly. 45 seconds max.
oddly though it doesn't seem to work if the car is not powered up. A goofy Audi safety feature ?
Old 03-13-2017, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mnaps
got my new prestige on Thursday. Sales rep told me to have remote in hand, press desired homelink button and follow directions on screen. Worked perfectly. 45 seconds max.
oddly though it doesn't seem to work if the car is not powered up. A goofy Audi safety feature ?
Safety feature, many thieves break car windows to hit the garage door opener to gain access to your home. I was very impressed to see how Audi disabled the door openers when the vehicle is turned off.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be nice if Audi programmed homelink to work with the engine off but the key in the vicinity.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through the MMI and followed the steps, while it sensed the clicker, it didn't program properly, so I had to get out the ladder to press the pairing button on each of the doors itself. Worked like a charm after that.

I too was a little irritated that it wouldn't work with the ignition off, but now that I think about it as a safety feature, that's rather smart. I'm all for it.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bkafrick
Quick search on the forum finds this The search box is your friend.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...erner-2903934/
This was the answer for me. Just got my Q7 home and it would not work following the MMI instructions. Following this link and it worked perfect.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had struggled to program HomeLink using third party remote (given to me for a public garage). I Spent at least 20 minutes trying to program remote using instructions from MMI. after failing I started to searching web/forum, reading many posts for another hour or so. I also watched some videos. Here is what worked for me:
watch this video:
HomeLink

it's only good for general information and to determine if additional programming is required for using learning function on the garage opener unit itself.

1. Ignition On, engine not started.
2. To prevent any interference from other devices, My car was parked away from the garage door opener and I removed an E-ZPass and SunPass transmitters from the windshield.
3. when I first time following the video I could not reset HomeLink using two outer buttons - eventually I used MMI to erase all stored codes from HomeLink
4. after holding garage opener remote in front of Q7 grill for about 30-40 seconds I got only one blink of hazard lights. I returned to the cabin to discover an error message on MMI that programming failed and if I would like to try it again.
5. I hit "yes" to try to program HomeLink again. but this time I used a suggestion from one of the forum posts, that HomeLink transmitting antenna is located behind the front grill, and programming/receiving antenna for the HomeLink unit is located in the roof. That seems to be true, as written instruction on Homelink.com state to keep the original remote 1"-3" from the HomeLink buttons. this is what I did for the second time. it took about 20 seconds for HomeLink successfully get programmed from a third-party garage door remote control. the hazard lights blinked three times and Green light on HomeLink went sturdy on.
The End. I hope this information will help other's

Last edited by supplier; 06-28-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Homelink antenna is in the rear bumper, not behind the front grill.

Quick Reply: homelink garage door programing