Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

How do you 'shut down' your car? Confusing.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How do you 'shut down' your car? Confusing.

Typically, I will pull into a parking space, and with the brakes applied, I'll press the Start/Stop button. The transmission will reset to P and the engine and accessories will shut down. Then I manually set the parking brake.

But if I follow the above scenario, and open the door before I press the Start/Stop button, the transmission is set to P and the parking brake is automatically set.

This behavior begs the question: why isn't the parking brake set when you Stop the car and the transmission is automatically set to P (unless you open the door)?

And sometimes there is a glitch when I come to a complete stop to park - the engine goes off, not standby, and when I open/close the door, the accessories are still running. And I have to open the door to reset everything.

Please advise.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put my car in park, set the brake, then press start/stop.

Have you noticed the glitch you refer to happens when you have your seatbelt off in park for around 30 seconds? It bugs the heck out of me but after a week of testing and grave concern by them Audi said it was a "normal safety feature"
Old 12-15-2016, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I only use the parking brake when parked on a hill or in another situation where I want the extra security. Given that, not sure I would want it to be set automatically except when I (occasionally, stupidly) open the door without putting the car in park first.

My typical shutdown procedure is to put the car in park, then turn it off (start/stop button). Apart from the unconventional gear selector, this is like every other car I've ever owned. Not sure why I would do anything else.

When your accessories still run after opening the door, did you put the car in park first? That may explain it..
Old 12-15-2016, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

95% of times I park on flat ground. Stop at the parking spot. Push the OFF button and get out.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

1) Place gear selector in "P"
2) Push Stop/Start
3) Exit vehicle and push door handle lock and wait for chirp
4) Look back and admire the 7 while walking away
Old 12-15-2016, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Well, if you wanna do it by the book, then check page 88 in your owner's manual for the sequence of steps.

1. Foot on the brake to stop
2. Set parking brake
3. Transmission in P
4. Switch engine off

Since I mostly drove manual transmission cars, I always set the parking brake. It's just second nature and it's recommended for cars with automatic transmissions, too. The mechanical transmission lock is not designed to hold the car and can get bent. There's also play in the transmission, so the proper procedure is to set the parking brake before taking the foot off the brake pedal, so that the transmission doesn't move and bang into the mechanical lock, but whether you put the transmission in P first and then set the parking brake or set the parking brake and then put it in P doesn't really matter as long as you don't take your foot off the brake until the parking brake is set.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-15-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1. I set the parking brake whether I am on flat or inclined ground. I never use the transmission's park setting to hold the car. As superswiss mentioned, the mechanical tranny lock is not designed to hold the car and it will get bent. It is, in my opinion, good practice to set the parking brake all the time. Better safe than sorry. I practiced the same thing when I drove cars with manual trannys.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good to know! Will definitely set the parking brake in the future. That said, still don't see any reason to bypass pressing P to put the car in park before shutting it off.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No need for the parking brake on flat surfaces at all and nothing will be bent/damaged.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Except in the very rare case I'm on a steep hill I never use the parking brake on an automatic. Or know anyone else that does.

Quick Reply: How do you 'shut down' your car? Confusing.