Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

How is your Q7 doing in the polar vortex?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How is your Q7 doing in the polar vortex?

I'm curious if your Qs are doing anything weird or unexpected in the uber cold weather. Seat warmers warm enough?
Old 01-31-2019, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Started like a champ at 6 degrees yesterday, drove just fine as if it was a normal day. No complaints other than wishing steering wheel could get a bit warmer.
Seat warmers get so hot I find myself turning them down to 1 or 2 after about 15 minutes of driving at stage 3.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arU4ic
I'm curious if your Qs are doing anything weird or unexpected in the uber cold weather. Seat warmers warm enough?
my windshield fluid nozzles stopped working..., Just had my 20k service in last Dec.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Mine is in the garage, but doing ok otherwise. I'm more concerned about my 12 yr old ML that sits outside. She starts right up and still drives like a champ!
Old 02-01-2019, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

need someone to input their experiences from the tundra of chicago
Old 02-01-2019, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Havent heard of cars just shutting down, but I'm sure many have dead batteries etc. But I cant imagine Qs, given how new they are, to have many issues
Old 02-01-2019, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny that you ask. My nearly new Q7 (6,000 miles) actually decided it was TOO COLD here in North Dakota on Tuesday and the air suspension refused to work. The car is normally garaged, but I had to run around town that day. The -35F degree actual temperature (much colder wind chill) caught the air suspension in the fully down position and it refused to operate, with error messages displayed. Luckily, my Acura MDX worked fine to get things done*.

* Not that I'm comparing the two, since the Q7 is otherwise wonderful!
Old 02-01-2019, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Air suspension always have a small amount of moisture that gets in the system from the air compressor. It's not surprising that in these extreme temperatures even a small about of water collected in the wrong spot will block off air flow and cause a fault. An hour in a heated garage probably solves most of these cold-related issues. My sister lives in Central Alaska, so their vehicles experience these "polar vortex" temps every day. It's tough on cars. Often see camouflaged cars up there in cold-weather testing.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Air suspension always have a small amount of moisture that gets in the system from the air compressor. It's not surprising that in these extreme temperatures even a small about of water collected in the wrong spot will block off air flow and cause a fault. An hour in a heated garage probably solves most of these cold-related issues. My sister lives in Central Alaska, so their vehicles experience these "polar vortex" temps every day. It's tough on cars. Often see camouflaged cars up there in cold-weather testing.
Good to know this re. air suspension. I haven't tried to change my suspension settings but it drove well in 5 degree weather yesterday (glad I had winter tire setup though)
Old 02-01-2019, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by PlainsOil
Funny that you ask. My nearly new Q7 (6,000 miles) actually decided it was TOO COLD here in North Dakota on Tuesday and the air suspension refused to work. The car is normally garaged, but I had to run around town that day. The -35F degree actual temperature (much colder wind chill) caught the air suspension in the fully down position and it refused to operate, with error messages displayed. Luckily, my Acura MDX worked fine to get things done*.
So the car wasn't drivable?

Quick Reply: How is your Q7 doing in the polar vortex?