Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Ipod Nano/Touch Compatibility issue 2017 Q7 PP

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod Nano/Touch Compatibility issue 2017 Q7 PP

Hi,

I took delivery yesterday of a 2017 Q7 Premium Plus built in March 17 but I could not make it work with any Ipod model I own so far via the USB ports. (Tried Ipod nano of 3 different generations, Ipod Touch Gen 2 and 4, all of them gives the "device not compatible" message).
Iphone 7 with Car Play works beautifully.

Dealer told me that its normal and I can only use Car Play compatible devices . (I find hard to believe , my BMW 2015 works with any I device without issues).

Has anybody had the same experience? Is is true that only Car Play devices can be attached to the USB ports?
I would rather not to use the AUX input (thats dealer alternative) so if anybody has found some specific model that works please share the info.
I like to just leave an Ipod in the car and not to use my phone as a music player.

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2017, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by xixp
Hi,

I took delivery yesterday of a 2017 Q7 Premium Plus built in March 17 but I could not make it work with any Ipod model I own so far via the USB ports. (Tried Ipod nano of 3 different generations, Ipod Touch Gen 2 and 4, all of them gives the "device not compatible" message).

Dealer told me that its normal and I can only use Car Play compatible devices . (I find hard to believe , my BMW 2015 works with any I device without issues).

Has anybody had the same experience? Is is true that only Car Play devices can be attached to the USB ports?
I would rather not to use the AUX input (thats dealer alternative) so if anybody has found some specific model that works please share the info.
I like to just leave an Ipod in the car and not to use my phone as a music player.

Thanks!
That's really disappointing to hear as I like to do the same and just leave an iPod in the car. Sorry I am not much help as I have an order in on a 2018. I will say that our previous car 2016 XC90 I had a similar issue with. I also have had that issue with my 16 S7. I updated the software on the iPod and I got it to start working. Plug in your iPod and see if there is a software update available for it.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Today i tried an Ipad Air and it worked . This ipad does not have Car Play that im aware of so may be is just a matter of using and Ipod Touch gen 5 or 6 (latest generations).
Ipod nano gen 7 (the latest) did not work so i guess nanos are out of the picture.

i will inquire if any of my friends have an Ipod touch of the latest generations to give it a try and i will post my findings.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can play via Bluetooth I take it?
Old 07-05-2017, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, bluetooth works fine but the wired connection is easier to setup and operate in my opinion.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've used both latest generation iPod Nanos & iPod Touchs in both my Q7 & A4 thru the USB ports in the center console with absolutely no problems - album art, steering wheel control, etc.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi CadX6, do you have a 17 Q7?
A friend will lend me his Ipod touch gen6 (latest) so i will try tomorrow.
Its weird that my Nano Gen7 didnt work...
Old 07-05-2017, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

iPod Touch 5th Gen confirmed to works via USB in my Q7...it even names the media source as an iPOD...
Old 07-06-2017, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi CadX6, do you have a 17 Q7?
A friend will lend me his Ipod touch gen6 (latest) so i will try tomorrow.
Its weird that my Nano Gen7 didnt work...
Yep - 2017 Q7 & had a 2017 A4 - identical technology in both.
I have two 7th generation Nanos & two 5th generation Touches - one 32 GB & one 64GB. All 4 worked in both cars.

Last edited by Cadx6; 07-06-2017 at 05:09 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi,

Thanks!
I have the 6th Gen NANO and it works just fine in my 2017 Q7.

Quick Reply: Ipod Nano/Touch Compatibility issue 2017 Q7 PP