Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Mid cycle refresh gets touch screens

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
You can do just about everything from the steering wheel and virtual cockpit or voice command. I don't even know the last time I used the MMI **** and screen in my car. The screens are cool and work very well, but outside of adjusting the heated/ ventilated seat settings there is really no need to use them while driving.
That's how I feel, too. In fact, my center screen is set to always display the vehicle graphic with the drive programs. Having the Nav on the main screen and using Alexa as 'Radio', I simply have no need for it. From a sole appearance perspective, the new set-up looks better and more modern.

Last edited by AudiFanFL; 11-07-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by audisession
My college classmate works for a large automotive component supplier - all cars will move to screens and buttons will disappear - the primary reason is not that it’s somehow better for the driver - it’s for cost reasons : at scale screen based systems are much cheaper than current button and **** based systems

Of course, it always ends up about $...glad I ordered a 19 with it being the last year of the current layout.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC 1
Of course, it always ends up about $...glad I ordered a 19 with it being the last year of the current layout.
This was also a consideration for us.

My wife is moving from an X1 to a Q7, due to an increase in family size coupled with moving back to the U.S. from Germany. We sat in both the Q7 and Q8 and while I thought the new touch screen dash design looked very modern and sleek, we definitely didn't prefer the setup over the current generation Q7. Coming from a BMW the current Q7 offered similar interior sight lines and an equivalent, albeit enhanced with the virtual cockpit, user interface. The pragmatist inside knew a part of me would be disappointed that the 19' we ordered would soon be outdated if the new interior came to the Q7 via cycle refresh, but ultimately, I knew the current setup was much more useful to my wife and me.

I've spent extensive time in the MK7 Golfs during my time in Europe and I've never been a fan of 100% touch screen setups, but atleast the Golf kept the seat and climate control controls as actual buttons.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

After dumping my 2016 S6 and still having a 2018 Q7 - I said the Q7 would probably be our last Audi. (Unless i find a 2017 RS7 at a great price and under 5k miles lol) I recently had a 2018 RR Spprt loaded for a week while in Los Angeles. It has the same 3 screen set up. While I know Audi had better processing speed and haptics, I hated it. Every thing about - slow and laggy, finger prints and dust (dust is attracted to the electrical charge), it got confused, even with the adjustable top screen it was hard to see especially while driving, etc. I was thinking of getting a second Q7 and now if I do it will need to be the 19.

I too, am really liking the Aviator, and the new X5 really nailed the dash. And I'm not usually a BMW fan but the dash and the IDrive is now sleek and fast. Same with the Mercedes.

We rarely keep a car even to the end of a lease, but I do worry about these electronics for long term. I can only imagine what the cost is when one for more fries out of warranty. lol

My tuned S6, which was at 600hp, never launched (I'm 54), and driven spirited but not super hard, had a super tiny bevel box leak. Had I taken it in before trading it it was 8k to replace. Hence me dumping it rather than possibly deal with a TD1 flag.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:05 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

While I like the way the updated design looks, I agree with the others in regards to the low position of the screens but I'll reserve final judgment until I see it, or test drive one..But one things for sure, the fingerprints will drive me crazy.. I'll constantly be cleaning it.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Touchscreens get so gross especially if you have kids. My old Prius and Ram 2500 had touchscreen. Kid pressed the screen so much and left a finger glaze.
My 18 Q7 nice with screen down is much more pleasing. Kid has no desire to push the screen anymore.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiFanFL
That's how I feel, too. In fact, my center screen is set to always display the vehicle graphic with the drive programs. Having the Nav on the main screen and using Alexa as 'Radio', I simply have no need for it. From a sole appearance perspective, the new set-up looks better and more modern.
Parking cameras are on the center screen though, right?
Old 11-08-2018, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

BMW does it perfectly well, iDrive **** and touchscreen if you need to touch something right away, I like that a lot, hopefully Audi retains full MMI **** functionality and does not require you to switch between **** and screen, for example typing/writing on screen etc.
I agree the placement of screen is way too low, current placement is way too high and too far to the right (dead center, too separated from VC). BMW did it perfectly, and MB did it somewhat better on their sedans, not sure what's planned for GLS.
Hopefully Audi adds more details to the HUD so looking down to this screen frequently will not be necessary.

PS: After driving Audi for a year using Android Auto, I always wished we had touch screen to fully utilize Android auto, about 2 weeks ago I rented a car with a large center touch screen and used android auto with no ****, I now appreciate Audi's know and how quick it is to control it without having to reach and touch the screen for random things. It will be nice to have touch screen for maps etc but like most others I wish the screen was positioned a little higher for natural field of view. I am not upset about losing other hard-buttons like A/C control, heated seat, defrost, etc as long as customization is allowed. Jeep/Dodge's uConnect or Volvo's Sensus are great examples of how you can customize your "home" screen to your liking, although Sensus suffers from buggy operation time to time.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Having ***** and buttons was one of the reasons I chose the Q7 over XC90 (not the primary - which was the engine and build quality, but significant).
Old 11-08-2018, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

I've been driving a new A6 all day. There's no reason to use the screens while driving. They are a non issue IMO.

Quick Reply: Mid cycle refresh gets touch screens