Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

MKI to MKII Owners: Any Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default MKI to MKII Owners: Any Regrets?

My 2014 Touareg TDI is closing in on 65k miles, and I'm contemplating my future options while awaiting the settlement/fix. If Audi brings back a TDI option as rumored, that's likely what I'll end up with. But I think it's wise to have a Plan B.

If the fix doesn't ruin what I love about the TDI, one option is to just hang onto the T'reg a little longer. Or I might take a look at a low-mileage pre-owned or untitled leftover Q7 or Touareg TDI. Along with several non-VAG models, the MKII Q7 gasser is also a consideration. I prefer the styling of the first generation Q7, but the extensive weight loss and some of the new tech is impressive. So those of you have owned both, do you feel Audi went backwards in any way with second generation model? And what features of the new model wouldn't you want to live without? Is the virtual cockpit the game-changer it appears to be? Apple CarPlay?

Last edited by HotRodW; 03-05-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I currently have my 2014 Q7 TDI P+ and 2017 Prestige. Thought I was going to dearly miss my TDI and only made the decision not to buy it off lease because of the multiple unknown variables and since I wouldn't be compensated as an owner, so my purchase option price no longer made sense. Bottom line, this was a tough decision both monetarily and because the TDI is so fantastic. Well, I have to tell you, after just over a week of driving the MKii and having gone between the two on a few occasions back-to-back, this whole car is a game changer. It exudes refinement and luxury in every way, and the Prestige is unquestionably the way to go if you have the resources. Fuel mileage is the ONLY thing that is going to bother me on this one, but everything else just knocks it out of the park. Simply said, I don't miss my TDI for a second when I step into the new one, it feels bigger inside, drives better (minus the engine of course, that's just different and personal for most), is insanely quiet inside and all of the new features make the car feel like it's multiple generations ahead of the previous model...because in essence, it is. Love it!

Good luck!

Last edited by FairwellQ7TDI; 03-05-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love the car but I would say neither Apple Car Play nor the virtual cockpit are game changers. I just dont see the screen information as all that useful on the VC.

I did feel however that we had to have the virtual cockpit when looking at options as it's the wow factor.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by HotRodW
My 2014 Touareg TDI is closing in on 65k miles, and I'm contemplating my future options while awaiting the settlement/fix. If Audi brings back a TDI option as rumored, that's likely what I'll end up with. But I think it's wise to have a Plan B.

If the fix doesn't ruin what I love about the TDI, one option is to just hang onto the T'reg a little longer. Or I might take a look at a low-mileage pre-owned or untitled leftover Q7 or Touareg TDI. Along with several non-VAG models, the MKII Q7 gasser is also a consideration. I prefer the styling of the first generation Q7, but the extensive weight loss and some of the new tech is impressive. So those of you have owned both, do you feel Audi went backwards in any way with second generation model? And what features of the new model wouldn't you want to live without? Is the virtual cockpit the game-changer it appears to be? Apple CarPlay?
I sold my 2012 Q7 for a 2017 MKII. I'd never go back. The improvements in tech are amazing. Both of mine were/are Prestige. The VC is nice, but I wouldn't call it a game changer. But the improved ACC, head up display, four wheel steering, active lane assist... those are game changers.

I agree that CarPlay is not so great; I don't use it. The Audi Connect PRIME features are quite cool, but I let mine lapse after the free trial because I didn't think it's worth $28 a month.

I actually think the exterior styling of the new one is preferable. But then again, since I'm not looking at the outside during all the hours I'm driving, I don't really care that much. What others think of how my car looks just doesn't matter to me.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
I sold my 2012 Q7 for a 2017 MKII. I'd never go back. The improvements in tech are amazing. Both of mine were/are Prestige. The VC is nice, but I wouldn't call it a game changer. But the improved ACC, head up display, four wheel steering, active lane assist... those are game changers.

I agree that CarPlay is not so great; I don't use it. The Audi Connect PRIME features are quite cool, but I let mine lapse after the free trial because I didn't think it's worth $28 a month.

I actually think the exterior styling of the new one is preferable. But then again, since I'm not looking at the outside during all the hours I'm driving, I don't really care that much. What others think of how my car looks just doesn't matter to me.
What Rick said +1 😇
I went from a 2013 Prestige to the 2017 Prestige & while I really liked the 13 the new one is amazing- especially the 4-wheel steering. Really an advantage in crowded parking lots (& U turns on narrow streets).
I did find it advantageous to keep the Audi Connect. I use most all the features frequently.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

If you use navigation daily the VC is a game-changer for sure. The ease at which you may view information is greatly improved. I'm not sure how you define "game-changer" but I can't imagine having to go back to a different display setup after owning a car with VC....it's just enjoyable to use every day. And my friends geek out every time they see it!
Old 03-06-2017, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Came from a loaded 13 TDI prestige and there is no comparison. There is virtually zero similarity when it comes to actual driving experience and handling. All the tech stuff aside, it's just so more refined then the prior gen. Frankly, I don't even miss the diesel as the mpg on my 17 is great.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
If you use navigation daily the VC is a game-changer for sure. The ease at which you may view information is greatly improved. I'm not sure how you define "game-changer" but I can't imagine having to go back to a different display setup after owning a car with VC....it's just enjoyable to use every day. And my friends geek out every time they see it!
Good to know. I travel regionally for work, so unless I'm running errands I use my GPS nearly every time I get behind the wheel. I hate the Touareg's navigation so much I have a Garmin sitting on my dashtop. It just shouldn't be that way.

Thanks all for the feedback. Sounds pretty unanimous in favor of MKII. I don't need or want a third row, so I'm still hoping VW offers the 2018 Touareg here. I'm not optimistic, though.

Last edited by HotRodW; 03-06-2017 at 06:22 PM.