Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

My 2018 Prestige Q7 :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2018 Prestige Q7 :)

Hello everyone,
My first post btw but I have been lurking. In any case I bought the car on Halloween and have had it now for about a week. I am pretty happy over all with the purchase and car, black wasn't my first choice but the dealer said I’d get a better deal if I went with what they had in stock. I don't think I like the step rails either but hopefully they will grow on me? I really wanted the 21" rims too, but can't have it all I guess. First pic is at the dealer when I picked it up and second one is after I did my first mod, the supercharged badge. I read somewhere it adds about 5 HP I also already replaced the puddle lights with the Audi rings and ordered my license plate delete trim (jeez $106 bucks though?) Going to put the CQuartz on it next weekend. Still considering sq7 side mirror covers and the dynamic black line rear tail lights. As far as driving impressions, I think it rides pretty smooth and has good pick up although have yet to “floor” it. I read somewhere on this forum I have to break it in first? 1000 miles? I am really looking forward to being able to do that though. I’m trading from a 2014 4Runner and that sucker was heavy and under powered for sure. So it’s a nice change of pace. My only concern at this point is when I’m under 1800ish rpm like if I’m in traffic and then I give it a little gas I feel like a slight hesitation then it kind of surges forward. I feel like it should accelerate more smoothly. It’s not noticeable when I’m cruising at 2000rpm. The sales guy said it was because of the auto on/off? I told him it does not happen when I’m at a dead stop only when I’m rolling slow like in traffic (and I have that feature off anyways). Hopefully it will go away after the break in period? Over all wonderful car and looking forward to many happy years with it. Thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails My 2018 Prestige Q7 :)-1.jpg   My 2018 Prestige Q7 :)-2.jpg  
Old 11-08-2017, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDGUY2001@YAHOO.COM
Hello everyone,
My first post btw but I have been lurking. In any case I bought the car on Halloween and have had it now for about a week. I am pretty happy over all with the purchase and car, black wasn't my first choice but the dealer said I’d get a better deal if I went with what they had in stock. I don't think I like the step rails either but hopefully they will grow on me? I really wanted the 21" rims too, but can't have it all I guess. First pic is at the dealer when I picked it up and second one is after I did my first mod, the supercharged badge. I read somewhere it adds about 5 HP I also already replaced the puddle lights with the Audi rings and ordered my license plate delete trim (jeez $106 bucks though?) Going to put the CQuartz on it next weekend. Still considering sq7 side mirror covers and the dynamic black line rear tail lights. As far as driving impressions, I think it rides pretty smooth and has good pick up although have yet to “floor” it. I read somewhere on this forum I have to break it in first? 1000 miles? I am really looking forward to being able to do that though. I’m trading from a 2014 4Runner and that sucker was heavy and under powered for sure. So it’s a nice change of pace. My only concern at this point is when I’m under 1800ish rpm like if I’m in traffic and then I give it a little gas I feel like a slight hesitation then it kind of surges forward. I feel like it should accelerate more smoothly. It’s not noticeable when I’m cruising at 2000rpm. The sales guy said it was because of the auto on/off? I told him it does not happen when I’m at a dead stop only when I’m rolling slow like in traffic (and I have that feature off anyways). Hopefully it will go away after the break in period? Over all wonderful car and looking forward to many happy years with it. Thanks for reading!
Nice ride congrats and enjoy! definitely want to see before and after pics of the czquartz thinking of doing it also. black is ridiculous to keep clean
Old 11-08-2017, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats, put it in “S” mode, you’ll lose that hesitation, I only put mine in the “D” setting when I’m on the highway.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice looking ride! The running boards look nice (I have them so I’m biased). I also noticed the hesitation with mine the first few weeks. It has since worked itself out as part of breaking in the engine. Play around with Individual drive select mode.

Steve
Old 11-08-2017, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

My only concern at this point is when I’m under 1800ish rpm like if I’m in traffic and then I give it a little gas I feel like a slight hesitation then it kind of surges forward. I feel like it should accelerate more smoothly. It’s not noticeable when I’m cruising at 2000rpm. The sales guy said it was because of the auto on/off? I told him it does not happen when I’m at a dead stop only when I’m rolling slow like in traffic (and I have that feature off anyways). Hopefully it will go away after the break in period? Over all wonderful car and looking forward to many happy years with it. Thanks for reading!
As others indicated, once you switch tranny to S mode (or dynamic mode) the hesitation goes away. When the car is in D (or auto or comfort mode) it has what feels like hesitation. It appears to be an effort by Audi to make the pedal response softer.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Im sorry so now I’m confused based on two different responses, is this something that will just go away once it’s broken in? Or is this just something Audi did by design when it’s in D vs S? I’m hoping for the former. Seems strange I’d have to put it in Dynamic mode or s mode for a softer throttle response.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Im sorry so now I’m confused based on two different responses, is this something that will just go away once it’s broken in? Or is this just something Audi did by design when it’s in D vs S? I’m hoping for the former. Seems strange I’d have to put it in Dynamic mode or s mode for a softer throttle response.
Most all Audi’s work this way. The regular Drive mode will always look to optimize the engine for fuel economy. There may be a slight lag ‘off the line’, but the gear confusion gets even more pronounced as you are (say) coasting into a right hand turn, braking, then hit the gas after the turn... As the car is downshifting, it is searching and guessing which gear you will be in next. Thousands, no, zillions of posts on this topic around here.

And, as others have said above, switch into ‘s’ sport mode, and it will feel like any other car on the road. And, your gas mileage will head in that direction too.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not going away, mine has 9k on it and it's still there in "D" mode, I have a 17 A4 and it's the same as well, it's an Audi thing.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I wish I had the step bar in mine, it looks really nice. Did you tint the fronts? Nice ride, enjoy!
Where did you get the supercharge badge? That's another overpriced little sticker but at least it's not SQ7 badge! At least it's not lying

I can't believe those tiny trim pieces cost $108!
Not to mention potential tickets..
Old 11-09-2017, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
I wish I had the step bar in mine, it looks really nice. Did you tint the fronts? Nice ride, enjoy!
Where did you get the supercharge badge? That's another overpriced little sticker but at least it's not SQ7 badge! At least it's not lying

I can't believe those tiny trim pieces cost $108!
Not to mention potential tickets..
thanks! They certainly charged me for tint so I hope they are tinted, although probably not as dark as I would have preferred. Um..those are the cheap badges I bought from amazon. In Texas the front plates are mandatory But I have been very lucky and have yet to receive a citation for it. I think in Houston they mostly noticed sports cars that don't have it, not so much family cars? I probably jinxed myself now..I will report back here if I get a ticket for it now.