Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

My 4,400 Mile Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts
Default My 4,400 Mile Road Trip

Just completed a 4,400 mile 2-week road trip. Wife and I left the house with 1,600 miles on odometer; arrived home with 6,000.

Albuquerque, NM > Wichita, KS > Minneapolis, MN > Wisconsin Dells, WI > Harbor Springs, MI (via Mackinac Bridge) > Cleveland, OH > Mammoth Cave National Park, KY > Nashville, TN > Shawnee, OK > Albuquerque, NM

- The Q7 was just perfect! HVAC was more than adequate, cooled the vehicle quickly, and maintained comfortable temps at all times. Wife loved the massaging seat. Power more than adequate. Ride so smooth and quiet.
- Used the ACC constantly; performed great, no complaints.
-- On some back roads I experienced the vehicle quickly slowing on its own when approaching curves or Y-intersections. Surprised me at first until I realized it was predictive ACC at work. Very cool!
- Lane assist made the journey much easier, providing confidence when I did things that temporarily took my eyes off the road.
- Traffic jam assist was nice when I got stuck in a few bad construction zones.
- Audi Connect was a nice feature that I used quite a bit.
- I used the on-board Nav and it worked great except for a few glitches.
- Got much better gas mileage than my 2014 Q7. Took this photo, which shows results driving through upper Michigan. Last reset was when I refueled in Wisconsin. My typical shown MPG was 26-29 MPG. When I calculated at fill-up a few times I noted the Q7 showed about 2 MPG more than my calculator.

Waited…..and waited….never received service!

Took about 90 minutes to get the Q back in like-new condition. Spent a good 30 minutes just scrubbing bug guts!

Only serious trip glitch was the rock I took to my windshield – the windshield I just had replaced 3 weeks prior! It left a chip about the size of my thumb nail that spidered out in 5 directions. Took it to Safelite in Cleveland first thing next morning and they did a great repair. All that is left is a little dot that one doesn’t even notice unless aware it was at one time a nasty chip.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Nice! Lucky on the chip too...
Old 08-10-2018, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice! Good bug splatter on the front of the Q7, too

I guess I'm going to have to play around with the VC...I've never seen the info you have in the middle of your gauges, so there are apparently some menus I haven't gone into!
Old 08-10-2018, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you take a spare wheel with you on the trip?
Old 08-10-2018, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Great. We have also recently done a 2000M from E. Texas to Denver and back.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Polonium1
Did you take a spare wheel with you on the trip?
No - never even considered it, nor did I worry about it. I haven't had to change a flat tire since 1996, so I approached it as a risk management issue.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by A6Louie
Nice! Good bug splatter on the front of the Q7, too
This stuff works great - used it on our last trip through the Illinois and Iowa corn and 99% of the assorted insect innerds came off in the first rinse:

Griot's Bug Barricade Griot's Bug Barricade

Only downside is that it comes off after driving through heavy rain, but if I remember to spray it on before a trip I save myself considerable time front detailing after a bug attack.

Last edited by Doc H; 08-10-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love it. The Q7 is an amazing road trip vehicle and totally makes long trips bearable.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Great to see that people use these cars for what they were intended - long drives. I'm in the middle of the road trip at the moment as well, NY->NJ->PA->MD->WV->VA->NC->SC->TN->KY->IL->MO->KS->CO. Colorado at the moment, heading either south to AZ, west to CA, or north to WA, haven't made up our mind yet. So far the car is doing great, on par or better than the previous MB GL450. A little less cargo room, but we made it work. Only casualty so far, $165 donation to KS state troopers benevolent fund, and the rear wiper that CO car wash ate - hint, if the car wash has a monsoon setting, don't use it, or tape the rear wiper to the window.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love road trip stories.

But, dude, what the hell kinda bug was this?!?:

Holy crap, glad you weren't on a Harley.

Quick Reply: My 4,400 Mile Road Trip