Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

New '22 Q7 Woodpecker Noise from Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just bought a 2021 Q8 with 44K miles and have the same flutter noise. Does anyone have the TSB for this issue?

Originally Posted by Cletustu
I took it back to the dealer and left it for another week while I was away traveling. They had a list of things to supposedly check from Audi. They came back and said nothing is out of spec and that the condition is somewhat normal and known by Audi, but no TSB has been produced yet. I asked for them to show me other vehicles that had the noise. They showed me one Q7 that had zero noise on the inside and out. They showed me another that had a slight noise when the gas cap was open in the tank, but nothing inside.

Mine is so loud that you can hear it from the driver's seat when the engine idles. It sounds like a helicopter inside the car. It's really bad from the rear passenger seat. If I run the climate control and the radio, it's harder to hear. But you hear it when stopped or idling and auto engine shut-off isn't on.

My dissatisfaction is two fold. 1. To buy a $60-70k car that has an erratic issue like this and cabin noise is disheartening. I've bought Hondas, Subarus, Jeeps, Fords, Chevy's etc and never had a problem with a brand new car. 2. I feel like the dealer has gaslighted me. I left the vehicle down there for 10 days now in the first 45 days of ownership. I have had to stay on the dealer non stop. At first they said it was normal and never even checked with Audi. Then they said it's not normal, but Audi will not do anything about it until there is a recall or TSB. They just called me today after another 1.5 weeks and said that they are waiting to hear back from their regional tech liaison to schedule a time for him to see the car. I'm not holding my breath. It just sucks to have such a bad experience attached to something that has always been joyous and fun (purchasing a new car and the new car love you have for your vehicle). Now I hear every noise that the car makes. I tracked a rattle noise that happens when you go over certain bumps to the back seat and had to wrap felt and electrical tape around the passenger and middle seat latch bar. I also started hearing some squeaking in the panoramic roof when I hit certain bumps and the cover is open. That is very minor and no consistent, but I wouldn't have noticed some of these things if I wasn't hyper vigilant because of the fuel pump/pressure noise. Now I find myself looking at Audi forums and seeing old sunroof frame issues, fuel pump recalls, seat rattles, etc. BTW the dealer knows about the fuel pump issue, but it only applies to 2020-2021 so they aren't even thinking that is an issue with my car.
Old 07-20-2023, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeasley4
We just bought a 2021 Q8 with 44K miles and have the same flutter noise. Does anyone have the TSB for this issue?
2021 Q8 with 22K miles here, same issue. Purchased 6 months ago (December 2022), the car has been at the dealer 4 times for this issue and dealer STILL say they cannot duplicate the sound, so not much they can do. A few days into January 2023, we took the car for a multi-point inspection. During so they said they were going to do the fuel pump recall while they had it there. I SWEAR, the helicopter/puttering sound from the rear seat area started happening after this recall. I mentioned this to them, they said they rechecked the fuel lines to see if (possibly) there was some fuel line chatter, and said they found something unusual but corrected it and it "should be fine now"- well its not. I have so many videos of this noise, it is so loud, its heard from the driver seat very loud sometimes. It happens during idle, when engaging Reverse, Drive, even Park - with foot on the brake or even just in Park, no brake.
Old 07-20-2023, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe it was this TSB for the backseats being slightly looks there is harmonic frequency traveling up through the backseats.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...81374-0001.pdf
We had a noise as well that the dealer took care it..of no more noises.

Old 07-20-2023, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

2021 Audi Q7 Back Seat for harmonic rattle
Old 12-09-2023, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi - I just bought my first Audi in December. Brand new 2022 Q7. I loved it at first, but after a few hundred miles I discovered a pulsating noise coming from the back passenger seat area when idling one quiet night. It's driving me nuts now. After turning off the climate control and radio I traced it to the fuel tank area. Sure enough when I went outside and opened the fuel tank, I heard a woodpecker type noise pulsating from the inside of the fuel tank. I override the auto engine shut off on idle to help isolate the noise, but you can hear it when driving below 5mph or when the engine shut off doesn't activate. I looked up the issue on the forum and saw a couple of old posts that said a similar noise was attributed to loose fuel lines reverberating on the tank. I took it to my dealer for this and another issue (radio transferred all of my sirius favorites to my wife's user profile and deleted mine).. The tech said they both were normal/unfixable. They didn't even do any forensic work. I dropped it off and a few hours later the service advisor said that "I would have to wait for Audi to get enough complaints for a recall as this is not a warranty issue". I don't think he ever heard the noise since my service advisor was brand new. When I went to pick it up the Service Manager listened to the noise and said it didn't sound right. I'm 3+ days waiting for him to reach out to Audi field engineering. If it's normal, I am never buying an Audi again.... But I think my dealer is incompetent. I have only used 93 octane fuel and now the car has 1400 miles. Bought it in new in Dec with 40 miles from Flow Audi Greensboro in North Carolina.

I'm waiting for an answer, but I am gunshy after being gaslighted on my first attempt. The first tech said he checked another 2022 and heard it, but when I arrived they told me that they didn't have another one for me to hear. I would love to hear from the community so I can escalate this to the highest levels at the dealership. Maybe someone can check their vehicle and tell me if they hear it too. I'll try to post a video or two.
I too have the exact same issue. Same noice. 2019 Q8.

I’m equally relieved and saddened for anyone experiencing this.

Please advise if you have garnered further resolution be that with the dealer or otherwise.
Old 12-09-2023, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woodpecker sound fixed

I had the same issue and they said it was normal. I’m kind of persistent and wouldn’t take no for an answer! Went up to the service manager and demanded they troubleshoot further. Finally got them to change the tank and the fuel pump and sound went away!!!
DO NOT let them tell you this is normal. I don’t know which item fixed it since they change both at the same time, but I would probably say the pump. My tank did have a dent in it though. Good luck!!

QUOTE=morgandw;25867945]I too have the exact same issue. Same noice. 2019 Q8.

I’m equally relieved and saddened for anyone experiencing this.

Please advise if you have garnered further resolution be that with the dealer or otherwise.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-11-2023, 10:00 PM
Q7_PANZER

Geez - Looks like I'm in for a real treat. I demanded the dealer look at it again and they said Audi gave them lots of things to check.... pressure regulator, etc. No one at the dealer acted like they have heard or seen anything like this. The service manager and sales manager told me that they definitely don't think it's normal when I took it back. They didn't have any loaners but the sales manager gave me his personal demo car and said he'd figure something out. It's down there again for another week now. Hopefully they find something and can fix the issue. I hate to think about having the car taken apart like that, but I can't stand the noise from an otherwise quiet car. This may be my first and last Audi. This was my first "luxury" car brand purchase and it's been my worst in 30 years or car buying.
Amen to that! Owned multiple Audis in the past, NEVER AGAIN. Every model since 2015 is low-quality hard plastics, plastic water pumps(!), etc. etc. utter crap quality ever since the clowns at VW Auto Group got slapped in the face for $6+ Billion USD for that massive USA/EU Dieselgate scandal. Everything they've done since that snafu has been nonstop cost-cutting of high quality, features, reliability, and genuine luxury. They think that outdated digital display is something...its not...go see a new Benz...their screens will blow your mind, their interiors are the definition of luxury. Breaks my heart to see a famed brand like Audi turning into a literal "lipstick on a pig" Volkswagen. The S-1, along with its real mechanical Quattro, is rolling over in its grave!
Old 01-02-2024, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Has anyone reported this issue to NHTSA? If enough people report, maybe Audi will issue a recall or something in regard to this noise.