Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

New car with a terrible smell

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 06:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car with a terrible smell

We just picked up our new Q7, got a full ceramic pro coating as well as Xpel on the hood, front bumper, and mirrors. We park the car in the garage and there is a really strong solvent/chemical odor. When I first drove it home from getting coated there was a considerable amount of smoke coming from the exhaust pipes which I attributed to coating getting burned off. Anyone else experience this?

thanks
Old 05-02-2018, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had posted a similar issue after I got my Q7. The consensus in the forum was that this is normal and is because of a chemical applied during shipping. It will go away after about a month
Old 05-02-2018, 08:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great. I couldn’t find anyone complaining about smells related to the coating or film, I guess I didn’t even bother searching the Audi forum. Oops. It is a fantastically terrible smell though.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

No coatings here...but had the same smell for about a month. Only noticeable while in the closed garage space...
Old 05-03-2018, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did not notice a smell when I picked up my 2018 Q7 in September, but that could have been because I did a European Delivery and the car was parked outside for the first two weeks after I picked it up and then it took about 10 weeks after I dropped it off in Paris before it was redelivered to me.

CarSwami
Old 05-03-2018, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Totally normal. Ours smelled as well for about a month.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ours still smells in the garage, occasionally, after being driven. Not as strong nor as often as when we first got it, but it's 4.5 months old now and does still give off that smell from time to time.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It must not be the smell I know, because I somewhat like it... very distinctive to Audi IMO.

Keep Sunroof open at night if you can, windows even better.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by smacky
Ours still smells in the garage, occasionally, after being driven. Not as strong nor as often as when we first got it, but it's 4.5 months old now and does still give off that smell from time to time.
Same here, I was surprised to smell the scent that I associated with my audi being new. although it's still new at 3500miles, the smell was gone at about 1500miles, and it came back after the recent 400mile trip. Must have been related to weather etc.
Also, on the inside, the rubber mats smell too, and if you use heat with air diverted through footwell area, you get the smell too. It's definitely distinct.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Same here, I was surprised to smell the scent that I associated with my audi being new. although it's still new at 3500miles, the smell was gone at about 1500miles, and it came back after the recent 400mile trip. Must have been related to weather etc.
Also, on the inside, the rubber mats smell too, and if you use heat with air diverted through footwell area, you get the smell too. It's definitely distinct.

We have the mats that came with the cold weather package. We actually got them still in their packaging, separate from the car from the dealership. I don't notice a smell to the mats with the air on or off. I guess it may be different for others, especially if it was shipped with the car vs installed by the user later on.

No smell at all from the AC or heating system. Just when parked in the garage after a ~20 mile trip daily. I can't remember when we took it on a long, 200 mile round trip and it might have been tough to tell since we parked in an open parking deck, vs our home garage. So I can't even speak to the driving conditions needed to bring the smell back. It's gotten warmer where I am at, around 70-85 daily the past week and maybe I don't smell it as much anymore. But until a week or two ago, it was still in the 60s and down to the 30s at some point, and I know the smell has been there in cold weather like the past 4 months when it was driven in the winter.

Last thread made about the issue said that some people found it to burn off at 1000 miles, or after a few months. Time vs mileage. Neither seem to have fixed it but I'll take a whiff when I get home today and see if this 90 degree day can help narrow it down to the temperature being a variable.

Quick Reply: New car with a terrible smell