Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

New Q7 owner here

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Q7 owner here

Hi All,
Long time Audi enthusiast (mostly on AZ these days) having owned a Stage 3 B5 S4 Tip (the tranny held ), an amazing supercharged 2008 RS4 that I had to sell before I wanted to (long story), and now driving a very nice 2013 Stage 2 S6 that's getting RS7 hybrids before too long.

Freshly added this week, and primarily for my wife to drive, is a CPO 2018 Q7 3.0T Prestige with just under 9k miles. Options include adaptive chassis, titanium black optic, cold weather, driver assistance, tow package, and Audi beam rings. Color = glacier white metallic. Bought it sight unseen (car is in Illinois and I'm in Seattle) after having driven some locally and knowing exact options I wanted. I love the glacier white with black optics and am looking forward to experiencing the adaptive chassis and 4-wheel steering, too. Going to make a road trip out of it when I pick it up early August as we're heading to WI to visit family. I'll pick it up after flying into Chicago, do vacation, and drive it back with my eldest a week later stopping in some national parks along the way.

Planning on doing just a few things, working with my dealer to facilitate most of it before I actually pick it up:
  • Xpel Ultimate entire front-end, hood, mirrors
  • Ceramic Pro Gold package once back in Seattle
  • Interior trim: change from the walnut that's currently installed (surprised that with black optics they went this way) to carbon fibre trim. Working with someone on this, more details in a few weeks
  • Replace yellow side markers with color matching ones
  • De-badge rear leaving only rings, and switch to black rings
  • Change to black rings on front grille

Some pics from the dealer (only tiny ones available for download):

And one of the S6 to boot

Looking forward to participating here!

Cheers,
Per
Old 07-05-2018, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations. I love the car. Question on your film install / ceramic coating decision. Are you going to have the dealer apply the Xpel? I would have the same detail shop that is performing the ceramic coating install the film. It seems like your going to be spending a pretty penny and I've never seen a dealer perform a proper wax, let alone a paint correction which you will probably want before the film install.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks! Yeah, good call, but I don't think I have too many options here unfortunately. I think it's key to have *something* (i.e. the film) installed prior to starting that 2k mile cross-country trip. I'm going to talk with the dealer today/tomorrow to see about the specifics of who actually does the work: their own service department or do they outsource it, etc. to get a better feel around quality / experience. Can't wait to drive it!
Old 07-05-2018, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

If it were me, I'd use Metropolitan detail to get them to do the install of the Xpel and the ceramic on the vehicle. You're in Seattle and they are one of the best around for that type of install.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
If it were me, I'd use Metropolitan detail to get them to do the install of the Xpel and the ceramic on the vehicle. You're in Seattle and they are one of the best around for that type of install.
And drive the 2k miles back from the Midwest without any protection? Not sure that's my best move. I'll hit up Metropolitan, though, for at least the ceramic coating. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by S4Per
And drive the 2k miles back from the Midwest without any protection? Not sure that's my best move. I'll hit up Metropolitan, though, for at least the ceramic coating. Thanks for the tip.
Most people never get any paint protection and drive for years without a ding or scratch up front....I just picked up a '14 A8 which had no such protection and looks brand new up front. But I'm making an appt w/Met Detail to get them to apply Xpel later this month.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nice...and congrats! I'll mull it over some.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
+1, but I like the Stek film they use better. They did my car with Stek DynoMatt
Old 07-05-2018, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Car looks great!
Curious, I'm seeing several people choosing to do the front side markers in black versus body color. Any particular reason for that?
Old 07-06-2018, 05:39 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Congrats on your Q7!!

Quick Reply: New Q7 owner here