Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Panoramic Moonroofs - CR Report

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

There are as many dangers using laminated glass for panoramic roof as with tempered glass. The panoramic roof, or even regular sun/moon roof, often is a primary route for escaping the vehicle in serious automotive incidents. Laminated glass roof cannot be easily broken through allowing quick evacuation. Also, laminated pano-roof falling inside of the vehicle during an accident will be mostly intact and that can present a much larger danger to occupants than a "rain" of shuttered tempered glass. So there are pros and cons for both.

Personally, I would rather have no sun-roof at all, but "normal" steel roof. I am using panoramic roof perhaps two-three times a year... so why bother?
Old 11-11-2017, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem EvergreenQ7. I don't normally post in forums, I only seek information from other posts. But I thought it would be good to share my personal experience. My case is about to come to an end as they would not do more investigation (which I don't like Audi/VW taking that stance). As the first time Audi customer, this is not a good experience for me personally. I'm going to take the repurchase offer since they can't do a replacement for a lower value vehicle, like a S4. It also seems like they don't want to deal with selling a new car in the Resolution and retention group or even make any referrals. That's not so much of 'retention' if you ask me which is the title of the group I'm dealing with.... Why? It's really puzzling to me. It is what it is, I guess they won't do anything different unless more customers report similar issues. I agree with ConservativeConsumer, there are pros and cons which is why I really wished Audi/VW would do a thorough investigation using my case. That said, does anyone know what manufacturer is Audi using for the Pano glass?
Old 11-11-2017, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan01
I remember this was happening to the newer body style Nissan maximas back in 04 or whatever it was. There were always multiple threads of cracking/shattering sunroofs
I heard some reports about that happening after the Lincoln MKZ was newly introduced. On that vehicle (which is my second car) when equipped with the pano-roof option, the entire roof is made of of glass and opens.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just a quick update to close this out. The case is now closed with Audi/VW on my Q7. Repurchase was done under the Lemon law which is why they can't replace with a less value vehicle; under the lemon law, the replacement has to be equal value or more. I'm now selling my trunk cover which I have no use anymore and I have posted this item under Classified if anyone is interested.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by cke1973
Just a quick update to close this out. The case is now closed with Audi/VW on my Q7. Repurchase was done under the Lemon law which is why they can't replace with a less value vehicle; under the lemon law, the replacement has to be equal value or more. I'm now selling my trunk cover which I have no use anymore and I have posted this item under Classified if anyone is interested.
Hey cke1973 I was just wondering if you have any pictures or correspondence you would be willing ato share. I have an identical fault and currently they have informed me there are no other cases of this and it was a stone causing it to fail. I don't believe this still as it would have come into the car and it would have needed to be quite large to shatter it in my opinion.

Any help would be much appreciated as currently they want me to foot all the repair costs despite my car also have other fault they are still waiting for fixes on
Old 04-19-2018, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by neoof86
Hey cke1973 I was just wondering if you have any pictures or correspondence you would be willing ato share. I have an identical fault and currently they have informed me there are no other cases of this and it was a stone causing it to fail. I don't believe this still as it would have come into the car and it would have needed to be quite large to shatter it in my opinion.

Any help would be much appreciated as currently they want me to foot all the repair costs despite my car also have other fault they are still waiting for fixes on
neoof86, I do have a picture. I’ll post it a little bit later today when I get access to it. If you want, PM me your situation and I’ll see if I can assist with any tips from what I went through.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Neoof86, here's the picture.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cke1973
Neoof86, here's the picture.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer