Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Prestge Heads up Display

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Yes, calling it "Traffic Sign Recognition" is more than a stretch. Its speed limit sign recognition, and school zones. Thats it
Yea, love (sarcasm) when it takes you from 55 to 25 (cruise control) at 8:00 at night when it sees a school zone 25MPH sign.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tnedator
Yea, love (sarcasm) when it takes you from 55 to 25 (cruise control) at 8:00 at night when it sees a school zone 25MPH sign.
Btw, how in hell do I set my ACC to the speed limit?!? All I can seem to do is set it to the speed I'm already at
Old 05-23-2017, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Btw, how in hell do I set my ACC to the speed limit?!? All I can seem to do is set it to the speed I'm already at
What I'm finding is that it will keep the speed I set until it recognizes a new sign and then it will adjust the ACC to the sign it recognized. What's weird is that I've had it slow me down prior to a speed drop in some cases (so I was at the speed when I hit the sign) and other times it didn't adjust my cruise and slow me down until I was at the sign. Not sure what the difference is unless sometimes it recognizes the warning sign letting you know a speed decrease is occurring.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What I'm finding is that it will keep the speed I set until it recognizes a new sign and then it will adjust the ACC to the sign it recognized. What's weird is that I've had it slow me down prior to a speed drop in some cases (so I was at the speed when I hit the sign) and other times it didn't adjust my cruise and slow me down until I was at the sign. Not sure what the difference is unless sometimes it recognizes the warning sign letting you know a speed decrease is occurring.
That's odd. I have had ACC set to 80mph on the highway, and it never slowed my down when it came across a sign. It would also be too intrusive to slow you down when you want a higher speed. There has to be another way
Old 05-23-2017, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The main road from my house has a school zone. The q saw that sign and slowed the car way down even when the school zone wasn't even active. I quickly found there is a Mmi setting to disable it.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by sr007
In the US, the heads up display will show the traffic signs only when you have the optional Drivers Assistance Package.
Any after market DAP? I just bought my car, and would really like to have the DAP
Old 05-23-2017, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's odd. I have had ACC set to 80mph on the highway, and it never slowed my down when it came across a sign. It would also be too intrusive to slow you down when you want a higher speed. There has to be another way
I think it's because I have that somewhat lame efficiency assist turned on. It does things like tell you to let off the gas as you approach an intersection and other stuff like that to maximize fuel efficiency. It might be this that is using the recognized signs. The other day I also noticed (quite irritatingly) that it slowed down my cruise in a corner, after displaying a picture of a curve and speedometer in the HUD.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

In the MMI there's an option to have it automatically adjust to the speed limit changes. I think there's a predictive option as well but I think all that does is let the car coast to the new speed limit change when it knows its coming from the gps.

What I thought/hoping it might do (and doesn't) is if you set your speed to 70 in a 65 and the speed limit changes to 55 it would drop you to 60 (still 5 mph over) but it always drops you to the new speed.

If you tap the stalk up or down you can change the set speed, so you can adjust it without touching the accelerator. It will say what the set speed in in the virtual cockpit next to the lane assist I think. (it also will display in the HUD while setting it and for a second or two after its set). If I get on the freeway in slow traffic I can set it at 30 mph initially hold up on the stalk for a few seconds and it will set to 74 mph and as (if) traffic clears I can speed up without touching the accelerator.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's because I have that somewhat lame efficiency assist turned on. It does things like tell you to let off the gas as you approach an intersection and other stuff like that to maximize fuel efficiency. It might be this that is using the recognized signs. The other day I also noticed (quite irritatingly) that it slowed down my cruise in a corner, after displaying a picture of a curve and speedometer in the HUD.
You can turn off its slowing down in corners in the MMI. It'll still show the foot based on what's ahead if it thinks you're going too fast but it won't change your speed.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I get that damn foot all the time, although it never slows me down. It was explained to me that the foot appears when the car knows (through NAV) that you may be approaching terrain which may increase your speed, like a downhill slope. However, in my case it appears randomly, and usually when i am going at least 12+ mph over the speed limit.

Quick Reply: Prestge Heads up Display