Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Proper method to program your Homelink Garage Door Operner

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. If the 3rd party clicker works with your garage door opener, MMI should be able to learn its remote algorithm (the MMI on screen instructions), then you click on the learn button on the garage opener and press the already learned homelink button in the car, garage door light flash once and you're good to go.

Good effort on using the external keypad to do the same thing though.

Originally Posted by ven7782
I struggled as well but figured out eventually. The 3rd party clicker will not help. Mine is a Chamberlain with an external keypad which I had to remove and take in inside the vehicle. I had to key in the code and hold the "0" key long enough to sync with the homelink. Then I had to go press the learn button on the garage opener and repeat the sync step. So its a 2 step sync process. The manual simply says to follow the MMI instructions which is very misleading for many.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the overlooked remote battery

I was having the same troubles and decided to put in a fresh battery in the Chamberlin remote. Bing, I could now program my A7 while pointing the remote at the front grill. Curiously, the remote could activate the garage door opener from 1/2 block away, but could not teach the Audi.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got the Homelink programmed to the Liftmaster opener but now it's no longer working. Sigh.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Jistel
Got the Homelink programmed to the Liftmaster opener but now it's no longer working. Sigh.
Got the Homelink in the car to work using Homelink's repeater. Programming required pushing and holding the in-car button multiple (6) times after I activated the learning mode on the opener. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Tag for great information!
Old 04-28-2017, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Worked like a charm for me yesterday and I followed MMI. Step 1) took a bit longer that I expected and I was staring to think it wouldn't work. However, I kept holding the buttons and it finally did. Step 2) Yes, you need to press the LEARN button of course. Audi misses this part, but does ask "are you ready to sync to the garage opener?".

So as long as you know to press the Learn button on the opener, the MMI instructions work perfectly
Old 05-02-2017, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This was a PIA. And it gets a bump for telling us to hold the button not press it.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by trackvaulter01
This was a PIA. And it gets a bump for telling us to hold the button not press it.
Yes, as a final step you hold button I, II, or III until the garage opener takes. This also can take a few seconds. Compared to my other cars, this was a breeze
Old 05-02-2017, 04:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Worked like a charm for me yesterday and I followed MMI. Step 1) took a bit longer that I expected and I was staring to think it wouldn't work. However, I kept holding the buttons and it finally did. Step 2) Yes, you need to press the LEARN button of course. Audi misses this part, but does ask "are you ready to sync to the garage opener?".

So as long as you know to press the Learn button on the opener, the MMI instructions work perfectly
I had exactly the same experience. Worked just like the MMI instructions said.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

My doors are programmed and the buttons work, but only when inside the garage.

Anywhere outside the signal seems blocked or the Q7 has extremely low range. My remote from the door works fine.

I also installed these... which were supposed to help LED interference.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by GeoJoe; 05-02-2017 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Proper method to program your Homelink Garage Door Operner