Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 2017 Steering Wheel Problem HELP PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

This sounds like a power steering control module failure. This unit is located underneath the front of the car. Basically what the OP is describing is the loss of power steering assist. In older vehicles this would be all handled mechanically with the use of hydraulic pump, and the failure would be equivalent to loss of such power steering pump, power steering fluid or belt that drives the power steering pump. However since power assist in Q7 is electro-mechanical it's effectively controlled by electronic module. Loss of power or control signal to or internal failure of such a module would result in exactly the same issue - no power steering assist. Since we are all pretty much used to the light feel of the steering wheel (thanks to power assist), we rarely (if ever) get to experience driving a car with no power steering. Taking into account the weight of Q7, the gearing ratio in the rack and pinion and the size of the steering wheel, when the power assist goes, you would have a devil of the time to turn that wheel, especially at lower speeds, and extremely hard when stopped.

This reminds me of the similar issue ford/lincoln had back in the late 80's, early 90's with their brake systems. They replaced their vacuum driven brake booster system with an electrical one in order to support their ABS system. Electrical system allow them to achieve much higher boost pressure and allowed them to recover it much quicker when ABS was active effectively eliminating brake fade during emergency braking. One problem, the entire system could be compromised by a failure of a single relay. Unfortunately this used to occur intermittently, and since the relay would "un-stick" after power cycle, you would get the usual 'can not replicate' from the dealer. Ford took a while to acknowledge the problem and issue a recall to replace the relays with a new design.

Intermittent failure is the worst one since you take it to the dealer and they treat you like you lost your mind. Power cycle definitely cycles all the control modules, including the power steering one. I'm just surprised there was nothing in the OBD. I would go back to the dealer, insist that the failure did occur, have them document it and if they refuse to address it, inform them (preferably in writing) that you are going to be back with a layer if you get into an accident.

Good luck.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Here's where the unit is located:

Old 03-19-2018, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

If the control module was failing intermittently, would not it have stored some fault codes? Did the dealer check for fault codes when they had the car?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hkn125
OP is likely not in the US given his S-line package
I’m a Canadian female driver 🤗☺️
Old 03-19-2018, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by gsobol
This sounds like a power steering control module failure. This unit is located underneath the front of the car. Basically what the OP is describing is the loss of power steering assist. In older vehicles this would be all handled mechanically with the use of hydraulic pump, and the failure would be equivalent to loss of such power steering pump, power steering fluid or belt that drives the power steering pump. However since power assist in Q7 is electro-mechanical it's effectively controlled by electronic module. Loss of power or control signal to or internal failure of such a module would result in exactly the same issue - no power steering assist. Since we are all pretty much used to the light feel of the steering wheel (thanks to power assist), we rarely (if ever) get to experience driving a car with no power steering. Taking into account the weight of Q7, the gearing ratio in the rack and pinion and the size of the steering wheel, when the power assist goes, you would have a devil of the time to turn that wheel, especially at lower speeds, and extremely hard when stopped.

This reminds me of the similar issue ford/lincoln had back in the late 80's, early 90's with their brake systems. They replaced their vacuum driven brake booster system with an electrical one in order to support their ABS system. Electrical system allow them to achieve much higher boost pressure and allowed them to recover it much quicker when ABS was active effectively eliminating brake fade during emergency braking. One problem, the entire system could be compromised by a failure of a single relay. Unfortunately this used to occur intermittently, and since the relay would "un-stick" after power cycle, you would get the usual 'can not replicate' from the dealer. Ford took a while to acknowledge the problem and issue a recall to replace the relays with a new design.

Intermittent failure is the worst one since you take it to the dealer and they treat you like you lost your mind. Power cycle definitely cycles all the control modules, including the power steering one. I'm just surprised there was nothing in the OBD. I would go back to the dealer, insist that the failure did occur, have them document it and if they refuse to address it, inform them (preferably in writing) that you are going to be back with a layer if you get into an accident.

Good luck.

This was very helpful knowledge! Thank you!
Just to update I Called Audi corporate Canada as advised by fellow members.
I was advised to send my car to a second dealership for a second technical opinion before Audi corporate can proceed.
Its just annoying that I’m still paying for my car but driving a car not even close to its value in the mean time.
And they are putting heavy kilometres on it was as well 🙄

still reading and accepting information from people as this case is still on going and issue is still not resolved!
Old 03-19-2018, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by RickObe
If the control module was failing intermittently, would not it have stored some fault codes? Did the dealer check for fault codes when they had the car?
Came across this thought before as well. The dealership could not get any faults. But I was also told by service advisor after a certain amount of time the car “resets” all codes and it does this every time the car turns off and on apparently. But I’m not sure if this is true 🤔 not sure who to believe at this point lol
Old 08-08-2018, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default My Steering Wheel locked up today!

[QUOTE=xxaudixx2510;25125187]Hello,
I've stumbed upon this forum desperate for help and expert advice!

I had purchased a brand new Audi Q7 2017 when it first came out (S-Line package, Fully Loaded with the Maximum Upgrades).
Sometime about a 2 months ago, while driving in local streets, my steering wheel suddenly stiffened and locked. Let me explain... imagine your car is off and your steering wheel doesn't move - the "lock" feeling is kind of like that! The "stiffening" feeling is what leads up to that.
With extremely hard pressure with two hands I could turn the car off the street and came to safe stop. At this time, my car is in parked and I tried to turn the wheel back and forth (left to right) to see if I could loosen the steering wheel.

I read your post and kept just the beginning to reduce confusion.
Today while driving on an Interstate with my two young children, my steering wheel suddenly began to lock up and my vehicle began swaying side to side. I immediately exited and drove slowly to a parking lot. I waited over 2 hours for Audi Roadside. My vehicle was towed back to the dealership.
Hours later, service said nothing was wrong with my car.
After reading your post, I’m assuming the car reset itself once turned off and turned back on,
This terrifying experience must be documented for it can occur again. I’m deathly afraid to drive my 2017 Q7 again.
Thank you for posting your March 2018 incident.
Maddy C.
New York
Old 02-21-2019, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Having same problem. Did you finally get it resolved

I am having the same issue with my Q7. I’m wondering if you were able to get the problem resolved. My dealership is also saying there are no fault codes and they can’t replicate the problem.

Kevin

Originally Posted by xxaudixx2510
Hello,
I've stumbed upon this forum desperate for help and expert advice!

I had purchased a brand new Audi Q7 2017 when it first came out (S-Line package, Fully Loaded with the Maximum Upgrades).
Sometime about a 2 months ago, while driving in local streets, my steering wheel suddenly stiffened and locked. Let me explain... imagine your car is off and your steering wheel doesn't move - the "lock" feeling is kind of like that! The "stiffening" feeling is what leads up to that.
With extremely hard pressure with two hands I could turn the car off the street and came to safe stop. At this time, my car is in parked and I tried to turn the wheel back and forth (left to right) to see if I could loosen the steering wheel. But the steering wheel would resist and made more changes. A lot of force was need to move it! So I turned off the car, waited a couple seconds and turned the car back on again. And the steering wheel and drive was back to "normal". I let this weird malfunction go at this time - hoping this was just a weird one time incident. Unfortunately, this was not the case a few weeks later (2 weeks I would say) this incident happens again. I had to do the exact same thing for it to reset (turn off & on the car). And finally, a week later it happened again, the only difference I had a passenger (On Valentine's day evening). Scary. Embarrassing. Right?
Side note: I've driven with car without Lane Assist when these issues occurred. Had no problems prior to. Had the car serviced for maintenance & all recalls prior to - the car is up to date.

I brought my vehicle to my dealership (the dealership I purchased the vehicle from).
1. I tried to explain the issue at hand. The service advisor, I received that day, before even servicing the vehicle, briefly looked at the car and saw a bit of curb damage on the rim and blamed it on that. Saying it there was driver's impact on the tire/rim and because the wheels and steering wheel are connected, it will cause the steering to have an effect. Gave me all these quotes on costs for labour etc. LOL Well, if thats the case why does the steering wheel not lock every single time from this "driver's impact". It only happens when the car chooses to. Sounds more like a defect. But wait, how are you making these statements without the car being serviced or looked at yet? (Food for thought).
Anyways, they took the car for 48 hrs and return the vehicle to me with "we couldn't find the problem", "you're probably feeling the Lane Assist", "try driving without the lane assist". They even put it on my servicing papers.
[Sorry Audi, I know I'm asian and young lol, but I've had this car for 50k when the issue had occurred - I know how to use this car and what Lane Assist feels like. I've previously driven Lexus & Mercedes, all brand new.]

2. Immediately, brought this issue to the Service Manager to be taken seriously.
2 days in, no faults found. Foreman drove it around and still no faults.
I refused to pick up the car. Addressed my concerns again.
They kept it again for 5 days. No faults.
I insisted they keep it for another 7 days. No faults.

3. No choice but to pick up my car today.

And I know they can't do much without the car locking and stiffening when they're driving it.
I understand they are in a bind as much as I am.
But there has to be something they can do. I did not spend 100k on a car for it to just chose when to lock & stiffen the steering wheel on me when it feels like malfunctioning. Am I wrong?
I know the service manager did the best he can and was thorough from what i could tell. But I still have an issue with no immediate solution.
Their solution for the time being is "When it happens again, drive the car immediately to the dealership and will try to fix it".

A little side rant.
Upon return of the car, I noticed the car was fully cleaned inside (like after every servicing) but there was cigarette ash on the driver's back passenger seat.
Great. I'm already taking back a faulty car. But to add to that someone was smoking in my car? For how long? What else were they doing with my car? Joyriding?
Brought it to the service managers attention, and the response "The people who drove your car don't smoke" "We will look into it" "Maybe in the Spring, we will take the car for detailing".

To summarize, 14 days with Audi Dealership, 1100kms later, no faults found. issue not resolved.
What do I do?

My concerns are:
Safety - I'm driving a car, with a steering wheel, that can lock at any given time for no apparent reason. I could be on the highway turning off and this could happen. I'm in a 7 passenger seat vehicle, I'm not only risking myself but my passengers & of course the public.

Sorry for my extra ranting!!! PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME! WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS? WHAT ELSE CAN I DO?
I WANT A SOLUTION TO THIS ISSUE.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:48 PM
mbs
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You have to escalate the problem to the feds. Go here https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Click on 'report a problem' in the upper right.

the feds don’t care if your air conditioner doesn’t work, but they take notice when the steering doesn’t work.

edit: this doesn’t help the first poster who used 'km' and likely isn’t in the usa.

Last edited by mbs; 02-21-2019 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Note about non usa
Old 02-22-2019, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mbs
You have to escalate the problem to the feds. Go here https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Click on 'report a problem' in the upper right.

the feds don’t care if your air conditioner doesn’t work, but they take notice when the steering doesn’t work.

edit: this doesn’t help the first poster who used 'km' and likely isn’t in the usa.
Thank you so much MBS. I checked the nhtsa site and found that this is a known problem and a recall has been issued. Not sure why my dealership is unaware of this, but I will be finding out!

Thanks again
Kevin

Quick Reply: Q7 2017 Steering Wheel Problem HELP PLEASE!!