Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 Quattro Vs 4x4 transfer case(s)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Q7 Quattro Vs 4x4 transfer case(s)

So, my last post on off-roading was during our west coast dry season (In Nov) - yesterday, we hit the snowy (mostly icy) rubicon road leading to the staging area.

I had a rather shocking day:

There is a fairly steep slope at the beginning of the road leading to the Rubicon staging area. I had 3 adults, and another 150 lbs worth of kids. 5 lbs of air out - the car is bone-stock, OE Goodyears.

We went up this grade, and then on to the staging area (about a mile further) played with the kids, snowmen, sledding - fun, fun. Two hours later, turned around went back, saw a stack of rigs lined up at the bottom of this grade. Got lots of stares - I usually do, I always do the trail in a Q7 and am used to the looks - went down the grade, totally off the brake and gas peddles in 1st gear, made it back - zero drama.

We watched 7 rigs try the grade - 4 Jeep wranglers (all with custom lift parts), 1 Mitsubishi on a serious lift kit, 2 Tacomas and 1 4runner - only one Jeep made it up - we was clearly the best driver (CO plates). They all tried, started spinning, then started sliding and didn't stop for 200 yards till they slid to the bottom.

I got a LOT of questions... obviously... "how did you get up there?" I was kinda of a smart-***, getting even for years of dirty looks, "a computer is smarter than a transfer case".

I definitely had the heaviest "rig", 5000 lb+ to start, then 700 lbs of people, full tank of gas. I also stayed dead-steady on the gas, the Q7 barely slipped at all.

Crazy day - never seen anything like it... Quattro wins the day on Jan 1st 2019. And to think, I was VERY close to a 4runner this time around.

Last edited by arU4ic; 01-02-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Yep, you did all the things right and you had the help with the added weight. Situations like this are always a good example of a great gear helps a lot, but no substitution for driver skill.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Were you on all-season tires?
Old 01-03-2019, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Were you on all-season tires?
Yup - the Goodyears that came with the Q
Old 01-03-2019, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Yup - the Goodyears that came with the Q
Nice. Well done!
Old 01-05-2019, 06:39 AM
alk
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! I bet the guys with bro-dozers were embarrassed! I love it!

Some other factors beyond driver skill and vehicle capability to consider when tackling snowy technical terrain:
- What is the condition of the road?
- Have other vehicles traversed it recently?
- Is it exposed to sunlight?
- What is the air temperature?
- What is the road surface temperature?
- Are the tires wet or dry?
- Is they snow fresh?
- Is the snow layered (powder over ice or compressed snow)?

Its entirely possible that a road could be passable with a FWD passenger car early in the morning with fresh powder but completely impassable (even with chains) just a couple hours later.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gsobol
Yep, you did all the things right and you had the help with the added weight. Situations like this are always a good example of a great gear helps a lot, but no substitution for driver skill.
Thanks GSO - maybe, but mostly I'm am old man that likes to take it easy.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by alk

Bro-dozers - lol

Awesome! I bet the guys with bro-dozers were embarrassed! I love it!

Some other factors beyond driver skill and vehicle capability to consider when tackling snowy technical terrain:
- Is they snow fresh?

Its entirely possible that a road could be passable with a FWD passenger car early in the morning with fresh powder but completely impassable (even with chains) just a couple hours later.
Indeed, I definitely thought about most of these things:

Ice, pretty solid but textured.
Not sure who was on it before, but saw no other vehicle up the trail until we came out.
Nope, overcast all day
19 (F) when we went in, 24 when we came out.
My Audi doesn't have that feature.
Too cold for liquid water.
- Is they snow fresh?
Ice
No snow. Ice.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We took my wife's LR4 to an off-road course at a sand & gravel pit. Land Rover sponsored the event and set up the course through sand, hills, deep mud, wooded trails and big holes that tipped our vehicles onto 2 wheels at opposite corners. The newer vehicles with terrain response programs (sand mode, mud mode, grass mode, hill descent mode) all did great. It was the older vehicles such as Defenders that got stuck since they rely on just mechanical features like locking differentials and low gear. It was obvious how smart current traction control technology is.

Then again, there is no substitute for the correct tires, especially winter tires on snow & ice. I have never seen a Q7 or LR4 unable to get traction in winter, but then you realize it's all about braking and turning all that weight.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Paul3.2A4avant
We took my wife's LR4 to an off-road course at a sand & gravel pit. Land Rover sponsored the event and set up the course through sand, hills, deep mud, wooded trails and big holes that tipped our vehicles onto 2 wheels at opposite corners. The newer vehicles with terrain response programs (sand mode, mud mode, grass mode, hill descent mode) all did great. It was the older vehicles such as Defenders that got stuck since they rely on just mechanical features like locking differentials and low gear. It was obvious how smart current traction control technology is.

Then again, there is no substitute for the correct tires, especially winter tires on snow & ice. I have never seen a Q7 or LR4 unable to get traction in winter, but then you realize it's all about braking and turning all that weight.
Interesting, not totally surprised, especially given this recent experience - yes tires are a huge, maybe a deciding factor.