Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Quick Reference For New Owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Reference For New Owners

I researched and followed posts for several months leading up to placing my order back in March. I ordered a 2017 Q7 Prestige with air suspension which Audi later pushed to a 2018 model. So like several of you, my built Audi is on hold at port. The dealer (symawd) has been great, seems like it has been poor planning and communication by Audi corporate. It is a bit frustrating but it is what it is, additionally I would have liked to have ordered Tofana which someone on the board was successful in ordering. Enough of my gripping.

With the hope that the hold is released soon, I am starting to plan for receiving the vehicle and wanted to get input from owners on recommended first week configs / tweaks to the vehicle. Below is the list I compiled, any additional feedback would be appreciated (perhaps some of these will be OBE if Audi took care of any of these with the 2018 MY):

1) Add strip to eliminate glare from the HUD.

2) Adjust the headlights slightly higher.

3) Check to make sure that additional sound insulation does not need to be added to the driver's door.

4) Code for the surround view to automatically turn on when front parking (I have to go back through past posts to re-research this one).

5) I have the standard gray headliner, do folks feel it is necessary to tint the sunroof?

6) Purchase a set of winter wheels / tires

7) Any recommendations for break caliper painting / powder coating in Washington, DC area, preferably NoVA?

Any additional thoughts / feedback is appreciated regarding anything I am missing or should look out for. Thank you.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MyfirstQ7
I have the standard gray headliner, do folks feel it is necessary to tint the sunroof?
The sunroof is already tinted. I have the gray interior and have not felt the need to tint the sunroof anymore than it is. Was initially particularly concerned about its ability to provide the required insulation during summers. However, I must admit that I am pleasantly satisfied with the level of insulation even during the summer heat.

You may want to get the Weathertech floor liners to replace the OEM mats, especially for the trunk and third row.

Good luck and enjoy your ride. Cheers.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I researched and followed posts for several months leading up to placing my order back in March. I ordered a 2017 Q7 Prestige with air suspension which Audi later pushed to a 2018 model. So like several of you, my built Audi is on hold at port. The dealer (symawd) has been great, seems like it has been poor planning and communication by Audi corporate. It is a bit frustrating but it is what it is, additionally I would have liked to have ordered Tofana which someone on the board was successful in ordering. Enough of my gripping.

With the hope that the hold is released soon, I am starting to plan for receiving the vehicle and wanted to get input from owners on recommended first week configs / tweaks to the vehicle. Below is the list I compiled, any additional feedback would be appreciated (perhaps some of these will be OBE if Audi took care of any of these with the 2018 MY):

3) Check to make sure that additional sound insulation does not need to be added to the driver's door.

4) Code for the surround view to automatically turn on when front parking (I have to go back through past posts to re-research this one).

5) I have the standard gray headliner, do folks feel it is necessary to tint the sunroof?

7) Any recommendations for break caliper painting / powder coating in Washington, DC area, preferably NoVA?

Any additional thoughts / feedback is appreciated regarding anything I am missing or should look out for. Thank you.
I didn't feel any need to do 1-3 and 5. Number 4 I recently coded and it is only coding I plan to remove as I find it much more annoying than helpful.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am planning to have mine professionally polished, prepped and ceramic coated. I Opti-Coated my wife's car when it was new 26,000 mi. ago and it still looks new. This time the plan is to use Gtechniq Crystal Serum instead of Optics's-Coat on the exterior.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
I didn't feel any need to do 1-3 and 5. Number 4 I recently coded and it is only coding I plan to remove as I find it much more annoying than helpful.
Good to know, I'm curious as to why, does it end up coming on more often than not during unwanted situations i.e., stop signs/turns etc? Any coding that you suggest?

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by sr007
The sunroof is already tinted. I have the gray interior and have not felt the need to tint the sunroof anymore than it is. Was initially particularly concerned about its ability to provide the required insulation during summers. However, I must admit that I am pleasantly satisfied with the level of insulation even during the summer heat.

You may want to get the Weathertech floor liners to replace the OEM mats, especially for the trunk and third row.

Good luck and enjoy your ride. Cheers.
Great to know, I have a 3.5 year old and another due late August, so the level of headliner insulation is a concern but it sounds like it is a non-issue.

Agree with the Weathertech floor liners, that should have been on my list. We have them in our Bimmer and they are a must.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Spaceframe
I am planning to have mine professionally polished, prepped and ceramic coated. I Opti-Coated my wife's car when it was new 26,000 mi. ago and it still looks new. This time the plan is to use Gtechniq Crystal Serum instead of Optics's-Coat on the exterior.
I'm considering wrapping the bumper, side mirrors, and perhaps rocker panels and rear bumper. But overall I am on the fence. Never done it in the past but our white Bimmer has taken a beating, especially in the front bumper.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This may have been answered before. I'm getting the black headliner. Is there a difference in insulation or something?

Thanks

Gary
Old 07-16-2017, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You definitely should not arbitrarily adjust the headlights higher. If you sense an issue, have a dealer look at the calibration. Slightly higher lights may seem great at first, but it could drive oncoming traffic if you adjust them too high. Worst case, this could cause a head-on collision.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Why these items? Is this from what you have heard/read on here? Except for 4), I'm not sure any of the other things have been an issue for me. Also, what wheel/tire package are you getting on your Q? That will determine what you need to do for 6) in the DC area

Quick Reply: Quick Reference For New Owners