Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Remote Key Fob Battery Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Remote Key Fob Battery Replacement Question

Is there anything special i need to do to replace the battery in the key fob?

I only have 1 key fob, wife lost the other one, so I want to makes I dont screw anything up cause if i do, i have no backup.

Do i simply pop off the back and replace the battery. Or do i have to do anything special like placing it in the designated area immediately after swapping (which would mean i have to make sure the car is unlocked before i attempt this).

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2020, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

You have to remove the physical key portion first by pressing on the button on the other side of the rings logo then pulling the physical key out. Then you can use the key itself and reinsert at an angle to unlatch the cover that houses the battery.

Here's a good video, where he uses a screwdriver instead of the key itself, which also works:
Old 10-27-2020, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by larryV
You have to remove the physical key portion first by pressing on the button on the other side of the rings logo then pulling the physical key out. Then you can use the key itself and reinsert at an angle to unlatch the cover that houses the battery.

Here's a good video, where he uses a screwdriver instead of the key itself, which also works: https://youtu.be/CurWSFtxRl4
I probably should have mentioned i have a 2017 Q7 so my key fob is different than the video.

But i just watched a video on youtube for my key so now i physically know how to do it.

Anything else i need to do, do i need to put it on the "designated area"?

Last edited by bostonvr6; 10-27-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonvr6
I probably should have mentioned i have a 2017 Q7 so my key fob is different than the video.
Ah, my previous Audi was a 2017 Q7 so if I remember correctly, it's even easier... once you pull out the physical key portion, there are couple of squeeze tabs you press on and you basically pull out a small "tray" that holds the battery.

Here's a another video:
Old 10-27-2020, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

I pulled the battery and replaced it. I did it while sitting inside my unlocked car just incase haha. But its working now. Thanks all!
The following users liked this post:
Dave_ (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

The only issue I had was pulling out the battery compartment itself. I didn't want to ruin the key fob, and the dealer showed me it really takes a good tug to remove it!
Old 10-27-2020, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I used the video to replace the battery in my A3 key fob. Now the fob doesn't seem to work -- no red lights flashing. I've both used different batteries (2032) and checked the voltage and they are fine. Any help greatly appreciated!
Old 10-28-2020, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Check polarity. Flip the battery over to make sure you have +/- oriented correctly. Very common and easy to make this mistake. I'm batting about 330 at this!!
Old 10-28-2020, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks. Checked that, it's correct. Positive up, as indicated by the big + sign on the removable cover on that side.
Old 06-12-2022, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default My q7 won’t turn on

My key fob is dead and when I went to go lock my door by turning the key, my parking lights came on. So, I went to go turn them off but they weren’t on and there was a few dashboard lights on. I tried to start the vehicle but it wouldn’t start. Is this because my key fob is totally dead?

Quick Reply: Remote Key Fob Battery Replacement Question