Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Replaced front rotors and brake pads...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Replaced front rotors and brake pads...

Due to the loud squeaking noise situation I had even after the dealer performed the TSB last year, I decided to have a local well known shop to replace my front rotors and pads. I went with the OEM rotors and Centric semi-metalic brake pads. Picked the Q7 up today and all was fine until I had to reverse the car. Then the loud squeaking noise came back from the driver's front. The noise used to come from passenger front. Anyway I took a couple of photos showing both new rotors after maybe 15 miles of local traffic.

Can you guess which one is the loud rotor?

Last edited by aquarian; 02-17-2020 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

2nd one. But why all the scraping marks on new rotors?!?
Old 02-17-2020, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

It looks like it has that pattern on the first one only slightly fainter. Was it machined that way?squeaking is usually no grease on the back of the pads. In either case take it back and tell management how it really is!
Old 02-17-2020, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think it was probably the lighting, but both rotors have the same identical pattern from the factory. The first photo is the one that had the squeaking noise from reverse (like what I (and along many people) used to have.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,180 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by aquarian
I think it was probably the lighting, but both rotors have the same identical pattern from the factory. The first photo is the one that had the squeaking noise from reverse (like what I (and along many people) used to have.
I was going to say the second rotor looks to have good even pad transfer over to the rotor... not so much with the first (top) picture...
Old 02-18-2020, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

One thing about aftermarket pads is that they don't come with the retaining clips like the OEMs do. According to the service manual, the pad retaining clips should be changed every time when the pads are changed. So I am not sure if that's related at all. I am also noticing some occasional knocking some from braking when the momentum is changed. Hm....
Old 06-30-2020, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

UPDATES on the Centric Pads.

The brake dust is horrendous after just a few weeks of driving. My wheels are coated with CarPro Dlux coating and that doesn't seem to help much. The brake build up is at least 5 times worst then OEM.

Braking power: The initial grab is pretty much like OEM. Stopping power is extremely similar to OEM. I have no complaints.

Brake noise: None. However once in a blue moon it would squeak for a fraction of a second out of no where from reversing. Perhaps due to the dust accumulation.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

How much did you pay or pads and rotors ?
Old 06-30-2020, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 567 Likes on 449 Posts

You needa do a bed-in procedure on all new brakes, which is clear from the photos that was never done..

Q7 needs semi-metallic compounds, its too big for ceramics.. so dust is a fact of life, and if not cleaned frequently will cause squealing.. anytime my brakes get loud I wash the car and it all goes away.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quality rotors have cross hatch turning pattern to help with bedding in the pads and initial break in. Completely normal!

Quick Reply: Replaced front rotors and brake pads...