Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Secret MMI screen for '17 Q7

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secret MMI screen for '17 Q7

Anybody know how to get to the secret green/red screen in the '17 version of MMI? I've seen lots of examples in the 2G and 3Gen, but nothing so far for the new version.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not sure if this is the one you mean. Someone posted on another forum. Not much interesting in there though.

"While the engine is running, push up the NAV/MAP button while pressing down the Media button - the after 5-10 seconds the red engineering menu will appear. I have found no usage of the menu, but it is kind of nice..."
Old 02-24-2016, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by imcav8r
Anybody know how to get to the secret green/red screen in the '17 version of MMI? I've seen lots of examples in the 2G and 3Gen, but nothing so far for the new version.
I just got the Carista device for my 2012 Q7 & A5. You have to Enable the hidden green menu via Carista (or Ross-Tech). After doing that, you hold down the menu/car buttons to activate the green menu.

Not sure if that enabling step is needed on the 2017. I emailed Carista and they asked to send a debug report so they can work on the new model. I'll be doing so in a couple months when I finally get my Q7 Mk2.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, I'm in the engineering menu - not much to see, as JMB7 said.

Now...how do I get OUT of the engineering menu?
Old 02-24-2016, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

And I still haven't heard anything back from Carista. I'll ping them tomorrow to see if they have an tips/advice/plans.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what I got:

Settings' sub menu does not have anything interesting either.

I was hoping to find that Sweeping Needle thing.

Last edited by discogone; 02-24-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by discogone
This is what I got:

Settings' sub menu does have anything interesting either.

I was hoping to find that Sweeping Needle thing.
The "Hidden" menu is different from this one and it is used to make specific changes to the MMI. If the 2017 Q7 is supported, it can be accessed using VCDS cable and Vag-Com software. (Not sure about the Carista app and its bluetooth OBDII). The needle sweep (and many other mods) cannot be activated from the hidden menu, only the aforementioned products.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The "Hidden" menu is different from this one and it is used to make specific changes to the MMI. If the 2017 Q7 is supported, it can be accessed using VCDS cable and Vag-Com software. (Not sure about the Carista app and its bluetooth OBDII). The needle sweep (and many other mods) cannot be activated from the hidden menu, only the aforementioned products.
Just so you know, the HEX-NET is compatible with the newest Q7, not the HEX-USB+CAN. In other words, the VCDS cable will NOT work with the newest Q7.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RickObe
I just got the Carista device for my 2012 Q7 & A5. You have to Enable the hidden green menu via Carista (or Ross-Tech). After doing that, you hold down the menu/car buttons to activate the green menu.

Not sure if that enabling step is needed on the 2017. I emailed Carista and they asked to send a debug report so they can work on the new model. I'll be doing so in a couple months when I finally get my Q7 Mk2.

Thanks. In previous versions of MMI, you could access many different settings via this green screen and red screen. I understand one of these screens you need in order to disable the video lock on the Nav monitor so your passengers can watch videos from the pop up screen. You could do this just by pressing a certain sequence of the MMI buttons.

Last edited by imcav8r; 02-24-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by aquarian
Just so you know, the HEX-NET is compatible with the newest Q7, not the HEX-USB+CAN. In other words, the VCDS cable will NOT work with the newest Q7.
Well, that's unfortunate. Makes all of those VCDS cables purchased for other Audis useless for the new Q7. I'm guessing this will also be true for the next gen versions of other new models. I suppose you could sell it and use the money toward the mobile VCDS. Or Ross-Tech could update the firmware so the cable works.

Quick Reply: Secret MMI screen for '17 Q7