Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Selector Lever Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selector Lever Malfunction

I bought the 2017 Q7 on Monday last week. Today while driving the warning light came and it said selector lever malfunction, continue to drive and asked to contact service. I'll be taking the car to audi first thing Monday morning.

Anyone else had a similar issue or might know what the problem might be? Hopefully it's nothing serious.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by musiddiqui
I bought the 2017 Q7 on Monday last week. Today while driving the warning light came and it said selector lever malfunction, continue to drive and asked to contact service. I'll be taking the car to audi first thing Monday morning.

Anyone else had a similar issue or might know what the problem might be? Hopefully it's nothing serious.
I bet it is just a software reboot. I was getting warnings for other types of things including airbag. They just rebooted the software. I had already rebooted the MMI but that didn't do it
Old 02-28-2016, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had Airbag and congestion assistance warning, brought it down and they did a reboot as well. Haven't had an issue since.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Keeping figures crossed that it's just a software glitch. I wasn't at home when this happened, was able to drive back without any issue. Will update after I visit Audi dealership tomorrow.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is it possible to force a reboot by removing a battery cable?
Old 02-29-2016, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Took the car to the dealership today. They have been asked by Audi to replace the circuit that controls the gear selector. The service rep said that he has located the required part in New Jersey but he is not sure if it's available or was ordered for some other car. If it's available they'll have my car ready tomorrow, otherwise they have to wait for the part to come from Germany which might take a week.

Hopefully I'll get the car back tomorrow.They gave me an A8 but I'd much rather drive my Q7.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took the car to the dealership today. They have been asked by Audi to replace the circuit that controls the gear selector. The service rep said that he has located the required part in New Jersey but he is not sure if it's available or was ordered for some other car. If it's available they'll have my car ready tomorrow, otherwise they have to wait for the part to come from Germany which might take a week.

Hopefully I'll get the car back tomorrow.They gave me an A8 but I'd much rather drive my Q7.
Did they say this is a known fault or is it just a single case?

Thanks!
Old 02-29-2016, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

According to the service rep, this was the first time they had seen this problem that's why they had to contact Audi to figure out how to solve it. Audi did tell them that there was a known issue with some clip being loose that causes a similar malfunction but that wasn't the case in my car.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the service rep, this was the first time they had seen this problem that's why they had to contact Audi to figure out how to solve it. Audi did tell them that there was a known issue with some clip being loose that causes a similar malfunction but that wasn't the case in my car.
Got it, thanks for the information!
Old 05-17-2016, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Second Time for Problem

[Have had two visits to Audi Service on this problem. First time was at 750 mi in FL. Service cleared the computer & said if it happened again it was probably the "push Button" on gear selector lever. Back in today with same issue @ 2800 mi & dealer in MI has ordered "gear selector lever handle". Will advise me when part is available. 24783082]Got it, thanks for the information![/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Selector Lever Malfunction