Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

SiriusXM traffic not showing on MMI (Canadian Q7MKII)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SiriusXM traffic not showing on MMI (Canadian Q7MKII)

Hi all,

[I posted this question on the Telematics forum with no luck, so here is a re-post - sorry... Im a bit desperate...]

I have a simple question which I could not figure out despite extensive talk to the dealership, internet search, talking to SiriusXM...

Q: has anyone managed to get SiriusXM Traffic info to work (i.e. to show on the MMI, red/green/yellow roads...) on a Canadian version 2017 Q7? I have tried everything I could think of and still no luck - any clue would help at this point.

[additional info: my Q7 is a fully loaded Tecknic/ subscription to SiriusXM Traffic is active and signal has been sent and re-sent to the car, Sirius radio works OK, etc...]

Best,
JC
Old 05-07-2017, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Traffic is not available in Canada in the new models. Audi is no longer using SiriusXM. For traffic Audi now uses INRIX and you need full Audi connect for that to work. Audi connect while now available in Canada is only a subset and does not include services such as traffic information. You are SOL for now. The only option is using Android Auto or Apple Car Play.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-07-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by superswiss
Traffic is not available in Canada in the new models. Audi is no longer using SiriusXM. For traffic Audi now uses INRIX and you need full Audi connect for that to work. Audi connect while now available in Canada is only a subset and does not include services such as traffic information. You are SOL for now. The only option is using Android Auto or Apple Car Play.
Thanks for the info Superswiss!!!

This is indeed a pity...

It is a shame to have to use carplay/AUTO to get traffic on one of arguably the most tech. advanced vehicle out there!
Audi certainly base their marketing around the onboard tech., however it is rather unacceptable in 2017 to have a ~100K vehicle without any MMI traffic feature (SiriusXM or INRYX)...
[for the Canadian version that is]

Additionally, on the SiriusXM canada website, 2017 Q7 is listed as a supported vehicle:
SiriusXM Vehicle Availability | SiriusXM.ca
misleading to say the least!

It was near impossible to find this info clearly stated anywhere (online or through the dealership). Hopefully on the audiworld forum this sad info is now highly visible.

Best,
JC
Old 05-08-2017, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sirius Traffic works after coding

Hi,
It really is a pity!

I found out how to enable Sirius traffic as well as how to enable Google Earth via your phone data connection (thanks to other members) on the 2017 A4 in Canada. Should work with the Q7. You will need an OBDEleven or equivalent.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...-audi-2912779/

While it works well, to be honest, the traffic information from Sirius is not the greatest in Canada. It has traffic information on the major highways (i.e. 400, 401, Gardiner) - which work well, however it does not have traffic information on major roads (i.e. Lake Shore, Bloor St W, Dundas W.)
Kind of silly because if the traffic on the highway is bad, it could be just as bad on the side roads.

I have found every once in a while, it will randomly display traffic information on some major roads (i.e. Keele St) but it has generally been wrong! With that said, it will sometimes display if there are accidents or road closures on side roads - but it really is hit or miss. Traffic display on the major highways have been decent - tho not always as accurate as Waze or Google Maps.
I have asked Sirius multiple times if they plan on improving their information but didn't seem to get a positive response from that.

Inrix is a huge upgrade compared to Sirius traffic. It is just unfortunate that Audi has not enabled it or they don't offer Inrix yet in Canada. What is even stranger is why Audi would disable this feature for even Sirius traffic via coding. Is it for future when they do enable Inrix in the Canadian market? What about cars that didn't come with Audi Connect as an option as it wasn't available at time of purchase? Not quite sure what they were thinking.

If anyone can figure out how to get Inrix working in the Canadian market, that would be a huge bonus!

Originally Posted by jc_mtl

This is indeed a pity...

It is a shame to have to use carplay/AUTO to get traffic on one of arguably the most tech. advanced vehicle out there!
Audi certainly base their marketing around the onboard tech., however it is rather unacceptable in 2017 to have a ~100K vehicle without any MMI traffic feature (SiriusXM or INRYX)...

Additionally, on the SiriusXM canada website, 2017 Q7 is listed as a supported vehicle:

It was near impossible to find this info clearly stated anywhere (online or through the dealership). Hopefully on the audiworld forum this sad info is now highly visible.

Best,
JC

Last edited by mlavio829; 05-08-2017 at 04:16 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jc_mtl

This is indeed a pity...

Best,
JC
I'm not saying your complaint isn't valid (it is!) but I was like 4 miles from my house last week and pulled up Waze to if it could find a better route than the default GPS, saved like 6 minutes.

The point is your phone will give you better info.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Dear mlavio,

I had read the thread and there is a lot of neat info about using OBDEleven to reprogram the internal computer. Although Im no stranger to programming etc, Im worried about messing up something that would give a reason for Audi to void my warranty, or whatever.
Also, it seems indeed that INRYX is the best source of traffic info. so, as you concluded, it'd be great to find a (not too invasive) way to get INRYX to work on Canadians Q7MKII, or perhaps, wait and get lucky that Audi releases an official software update for that. The later is preferable to me.
Now, this opens another question for us in the Canadian market: Is there a good data-only plan (unlimited data? - not too expensive). This has been discussed already on this forum but there is NO definite go-to plan. I guess plan offering is evolving quickly so it is hard to keep track of such things..

So: @AUDI: Give us INRYX in Canada and make a deal with some carrier for a unlimited-data-only reasonably-priced plan.

that sounds reasonable, right?

Best,
JC