Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Something I always wanted to ask..

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
99.9% sure no.
Good info to know...a not well known negative of one pay leases.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC 1
Good info to know...a not well known negative of one pay leases.
Even worse when your vehicle is stolen or totaled right after you got it. All the $$$ are gone....
Old 01-05-2019, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiFanFL
Even worse when your vehicle is stolen or totaled right after you got it. All the $$$ are gone....
Yeah good to know indeed. on a standard lease, there is automatic gap coverage included on the acquisition fee. I wonder if gap insurance is something a customer could buy on his own through insurance in a case of one pay lease
Old 01-05-2019, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jetsfan101
Yeah good to know indeed. on a standard lease, there is automatic gap coverage included on the acquisition fee. I wonder if gap insurance is something a customer could buy on his own through insurance in a case of one pay lease
Hmm, maybe I was wrong in Audi's case:

https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/one-p...question/54569

"At least with Audi and Mercedes-Benz, a one pay lease is not “money down” (ie. cap cost reduction).

In the event of a total loss, the unearned rent and depreciation are returned (pro-rata) to the lessee. The lessee loses the unearned paid tax. My guess is acquisition fees and such are considered fully earned and paid up front, but I’m not sure."

I don't know if that is/was true but it certainly would be nice if that's the case. I wouldn't see a reason why you couldn't get gap-insurance on a one-pay lease through AFS. I know for sure that Progressive also offers gap-insurance as an option "outside" the manufacturer's lease-deal.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AudiFanFL
Hmm, maybe I was wrong in Audi's case:

https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/one-p...question/54569

"At least with Audi and Mercedes-Benz, a one pay lease is not “money down” (ie. cap cost reduction).

In the event of a total loss, the unearned rent and depreciation are returned (pro-rata) to the lessee. The lessee loses the unearned paid tax. My guess is acquisition fees and such are considered fully earned and paid up front, but I’m not sure."

I don't know if that is/was true but it certainly would be nice if that's the case. I wouldn't see a reason why you couldn't get gap-insurance on a one-pay lease through AFS. I know for sure that Progressive also offers gap-insurance as an option "outside" the manufacturer's lease-deal.
this was 2 years ago but I think I recall the sales rep telling me that even on a one pay lease the gap insurance is included in the acquisition fee.

Actually I just thought of something maybe you know about....so Texas is notorious for charging sales tax on the value of the whole car during leasing, Instead of just the depreciation portion. With that, on a one pay lease, Audi covers 5% of the sales tax and reduces your MF by 50 points. Essentially all a customer pays is 1.25% on the purchase price of the car which is substantial savings. Savings aside though, anyone who leases has now paid sales tax on the whole car so my question is this....

At any point during the lease if the lesee wants to go trade the lease car in for something else, would they be eligible for the tax credit of the “trade in” amount. Again the thought process is that they have paid 100% sales tax on that lease car so it shouldn’t matter if it’s a lease or not.

thoughts?

Last edited by jetsfan101; 01-05-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

At any point during the lease if the lesee wants to go trade the lease car in for something else, would they be eligible for the tax credit of the “trade in” amount. Again the thought process is that they have paid 100% sales tax on that lease car so it shouldn’t matter if it’s a lease or not.
thoughts?
I honestly don't know but my gut tells me you must be owning (i.e. financing) the vehicle in order to get that credit. But again, I could be wrong.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

this was 2 years ago but I think I recall the sales rep telling me that even on a one pay lease the gap insurance is included in the acquisition fee.

Actually I just thought of something maybe you know about....so Texas is notorious for charging sales tax on the value of the whole car during leasing, Instead of just the depreciation portion. With that, on a one pay lease, Audi covers 5% of the sales tax and reduces your MF by 50 points. Essentially all a customer pays is 1.25% on the purchase price of the car which is substantial savings. Savings aside though, anyone who leases has now paid sales tax on the whole car so my question is this....

thoughts?
Likely no because you don’t own the car, Audi does

Old 01-07-2019, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The argument for that would be if one has car under financing and owes money to the bank, that's same thing isn't it? Since the bank owns the car too until it's paid off.

If one goes the trade in route on a leased vehicle, the dealer buys it out. If financed, they buy it out from you and the bank. In the lease case, they buy it out from the bank (AoA). Either way taxes on whole amount of the car have been paid, so in theory there may be a condition created for a trade in scenario regardless of who owns the car. The tax transaction is the with the state so the trade in tax credit goes through the state as well. I need to research this further...
Old 01-07-2019, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

The argument for that would be if one has car under financing and owes money to the bank, that's same thing isn't it? Since the bank owns the car too until it's paid off.

If one goes the trade in route on a leased vehicle, the dealer buys it out. If financed, they buy it out from you and the bank. In the lease case, they buy it out from the bank (AoA). Either way taxes on whole amount of the car have been paid, so in theory there may be a condition created for a trade in scenario regardless of who owns the car. The tax transaction is the with the state so the trade in tax credit goes through the state as well. I need to research this further...
a leased car is titled to the leasing company...they are letting you borrow the car, that’s it.

Taxes on the whole amount have not necessarily been paid, because tax laws for leases vary by state. In my state, sales tax is only based on the payment not based on the purchase price of the car.

Most states that I’ve done deals through so far, sales tax
credit only extends to the same individual or entity. Another example, If you own a company, and that company owns a car, and you trade it on a new car that you buy personally - no sales tax credit.

always best to ask your accountant

Old 01-07-2019, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy

a leased car is titled to the leasing company...they are letting you borrow the car, that’s it.

Taxes on the whole amount have not necessarily been paid, because tax laws for leases vary by state. In my state, sales tax is only based on the payment not based on the purchase price of the car.

Most states that I’ve done deals through so far, sales tax
credit only extends to the same individual or entity. Another example, If you own a company, and that company owns a car, and you trade it on a new car that you buy personally - no sales tax credit.

always best to ask your accountant

I'm with you. Like i said in TX it's on whole price of car. I just asked someone i know within the state comptroller's office. Stay tuned.

Quick Reply: Something I always wanted to ask..