Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

dynamic or allroad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dynamic or allroad?

i found myself racing another driver down a very steep winding round. it was all downhill and the turns were very sharp. i put the car into dynamic thinking it was the best mode as i was racing. but the wheels seemed to jam into the frame of the car. i then got the impression that if the car had been higher.... it would have been the more appropriate race mode in such conditions. opinions please
Old 06-27-2017, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

definitely not allroad. you want a lower center of gravity when turning.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Gani
i found myself racing another driver down a very steep winding round. it was all downhill and the turns were very sharp. i put the car into dynamic thinking it was the best mode as i was racing. but the wheels seemed to jam into the frame of the car. i then got the impression that if the car had been higher.... it would have been the more appropriate race mode in such conditions. opinions please
Hmm.... we all have been there. Remember, this is still a truck, not a sports car.

Disclaimer aside, air suspension is better for comfort, not necessarily for sports handling. It all depends on how much weight you have to transfer around, and unfortunately with SUV it's a lot. Yes, dynamic will lower the car to give you a lower center of gravity, but also to reduce the under car cavity in order to give you better aerodynamics WHEN TRAVELING STRAIGHT. However, lowering will also reduce the amount of air in the suspension bags and will make them "softer" hence a bit of compromise on handling. Increasing pressure in the air bags will raise the car, which compromises center of gravity and creates it's all set of problems with handling as well, even though the suspension is "stiffer". Just know the limits of your vehicle and don't try to push beyond it. I know that driving dynamics in Europe are different than in US, and sometimes you find yourself in a situation when you try to pass someone driving really slow and they immediately accelerate and won't let you pass them even though you have a TIR coming straight at you - at that point you have to keep a clear head and know your vehicle. Sometime it's just not worth it, your car, your life, the lives of others.

'nough said.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes ...i since discovered...the Q7 is perfect for straight runs....but when you got a sharp turn coming up...you better think twice. I wonder how the SQ7 does in this dept. I hear it does some magic with suspension.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I go through on ramp curves pretty quickly with little issues, espscially once the suspension set and it doesnt get upset. I tried the same thing in a ford explorer the other day and i quickly realized its no where as capable and stable as the Q. Never ran into rubbing issues also the 285 width probably also helps with grip. ie .90 on skid pad
Old 06-28-2017, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine corners very well at high speed, in comfort or dynamic. As was mentioned .90 on the skid pad is pretty amazing for an SUV and better than a Miata.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gsobol
Hmm.... we all have been there. Remember, this is still a truck, not a sports car.
​​​​​​True it's not a sports car, but it's not a truck either.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Cutter
​​​​​​True it's not a sports car, but it's not a truck either.
True. I used a figure of speech to highlight the difference. Yes, I'm aware that Q7 is build on a shared MLBevo platform with unibody construction, essentially making it a raised car. So other than a generic SUV, how would you describe it?
Old 07-02-2017, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gsobol
True. I used a figure of speech to highlight the difference. Yes, I'm aware that Q7 is build on a shared MLBevo platform with unibody construction, essentially making it a raised car. So other than a generic SUV, how would you describe it?
Golf XXXL? 😁

Old 07-02-2017, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Now, that's definitely interesting point of view