Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Things you discovered

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things you discovered

My free trial of Audi connect ended and I am not purchasing the option. I use Android Auto for trips and I like that I can ask Google questions.
Just for kicks, I tried using the long press speech while NOT connected to AA. I get a pop-up screen letting me know that I will have limited access to my external devices voice assistant. I don't remember exactly what it said. There is also a selection "Resume" and "Cancel". Selecting Resume does nothing. However If I ask a Google search question, It works 80% of the time! I really like this, I just it was more reliable and I did not have to wait for the popup message.
I could not find anything about this in the manual.

Has anyone else found features by accident that is not documented or otherwise?

Last edited by GaryK4; 12-08-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryK4
Just for kicks, I tried using the long press speech while NOT connected to AA. I get a pop-up screen letting me know that I will have limited access to my external devices voice assistant. I don't remember exactly what it said. There is also a selection "Resume" and "Cancel". Selecting Resume does nothing. However If I ask a Google search question, It works 80% of the time! I really like this, I just it was more reliable and I did not have to wait for the popup message.
I could not find anything about this in the manual.
The long press of the speech button engages the assistant (Siri on IPhone/assistant on Android) even without having the device actually wired in (independent of Apple CarPlay/Android Auto). It works over bluetooth in same manner as you would press the button on your phone to activate the assistant.

There is a separate thread that discusses "hidden gems" in the vehicle.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

You can press and hold MMI dial to remove "cards" from Android Auto home screen since swiping or tapping on the huge touchpad does nothing..
Also if you have OK Google activated on your device, you don't even have to press & hold the button on your steering wheel. As long as it's connected via BT, it will work. I've been using this for over 6 years, it works the same way on most cars. Short press = vehicle voice control, Long Press = phone voice control.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
You can press and hold MMI dial to remove "cards" from Android Auto home screen since swiping or tapping on the huge touchpad does nothing..
Also if you have OK Google activated on your device, you don't even have to press & hold the button on your steering wheel. As long as it's connected via BT, it will work. I've been using this for over 6 years, it works the same way on most cars. Short press = vehicle voice control, Long Press = phone voice control.
OK, I am a little confused by what you said. " you don't even have to press & hold the button on your steering wheel" and Long Press = phone voice control.
I have been doing Long Press to activate OK Google.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by GaryK4
OK, I am a little confused by what you said. " you don't even have to press & hold the button on your steering wheel" and Long Press = phone voice control.
I have been doing Long Press to activate OK Google.
What I meant to say was you can just say "Ok Google" and wait for it to prompt with a beep if you enabled it on your phone, without having to press the button on your steering wheel, just like you would in Android Auto.
Like Hey Siri.. etc.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My bride found out today that if you are driving in reverse, and receive a phone call,
MMI won’t let you answer it. Haven’t performed any additional tests but it was interesting to learn.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Not MMI related but yesterday I found out if you are using navigation and you have ACC engaged. The car will slowdown for the upcoming nav turn. If you dont disengage it and once you finish turning it will get back up to speed until the next turn is comes for it to slowdown again. Honestly didnt check the manual for that tho lol
Old 12-11-2017, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey I picked up on that once too!
Old 12-12-2017, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The child lock not only does windows and doors but I discovered today apparently the thermostat in the rear seat as well.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Interesting about temp setting lock in rear, on 3-zone system does it lock as well? I'll try this.
Other cool thing is there is a cylindrical space that extends into door pockets, add'l space that you can store things you don't need daily, like umbrella, flashlight, etc..

Quick Reply: Things you discovered