Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Thoughts after a week

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts after a week

My Q7 has been flawless, but there are some things I have noticed that I either hadn't thought about or didn't know about in advance (ordered late March, arrived Early May).

In the 225 miles I've driven the car. I have spent more time fooling with the MMI setup (parked engine running) than driving. Make no mistake this is a computer on wheels. The learning curve isn't steep, but the interface is such that it takes time to figure out the system's navigation flowchart if you're unfamiliar. This being my first Audi, I fall squarely in that camp.

I think the central control wheel is ok for navigating most things MMI and many of the hardbuttons are well considered and implemented. As an aside, when will auto companies realize that smart phones can be used for things other than music and communications? For example, I would love to be able to navigate MMI via a remote control app (with keyboard).

The touchpad works better than I thought it would. It takes a few trials to learn how to write "4" and not get "P," for example. Easy learning curve, though.

I initially turned off Apple CarPlay. But, I copied all the songs I actually listen to on my iPhone to MMI Jukebox HDD. This was a total PIA, BTW, because I couldn't figure out how to bulk copy the ~750 songs from an mp3 DVD I made. Should have probably used a memory stick. This is one OBVIOUS area the control wheel is substandard for navigating large numbers of files and where a smartphone remote interface would be massively superior.

So far, Siri works better than MMI voice for making phone calls. So, now that my music is on the Jukebox, which I kind of like, I may turn CarPlay back on for Siri phone control. Perhaps there's a way to import contacts directly into the MMI (I haven't looked) that might improve phone call experience via MMI voice.

I use the 360 overhead camera pretty regularly. This will most certainly prove a Godsend for preserving my 21-inch wheels.

I didn't think I would use the ACC much because I do a lot city driving. However, it works remarkably well in town at 30-40 mph.

I don't especially care for the auto-engine-shutoff at stoplights. That said, when you're not speeding around, or not in a hurry, it's pretty unobtrusive once you learn the brake-to-accelerator timing. I can see myself probably using it half the time. Sport mode for when I don't want to deal with it.

The tint on the massive glass roof is pretty dark (a good thing), such that the black headliner shade isn't a necessity most of the time. My wife's car let's in way more light (too bright in my opinon).

I didn't want the air suspension, even though I would appreciate the all-wheel steering's slightly tighter turning radius that is approximately similar to my prior LR. I'm 100% OK with my decision here, but on occasion the extra 3 feet is noticeable.

Which brings me to a related point. The Q7 has a front overhang that is longer than the LR, and my perception is that the vehicle is wider. Combined, these probably make the slightly wider turning radius more noticeable in tight parking garage maneuvers. It's basically an adjustment that won't be a big issue once my new vehicle spacial awareness improves. This is something that hadn't occurred to me to even think about.

The "filler" strips for the front license plate delete look awesome. Worth a hundred bucks? That depends, but folks spend twice that to have the door lights make rings or spell "quattro." To each his own, I guess. They look way better than a license plate, and I do live in a front license plate state.

The cargo cover is sub-obtimal. There is a gap between the second row seats, even when they're moved to their rearmost position. I suspect this is to accomodate max recline in the rearmost position. I haven't actually tested it, but the gap looks about right. Bottom line, I always have some stuff in the back and want it covered.

I don't see myself ever using the third row. In fact, were it possible, I would have ordered mine without it. Audi, if you're listening, I would gladly trade my current Q7 (which I think is awesome) for one that has a full spare tire (and a place to store the jack) in lieu of a third row. The current jack-in-a-bag "design" is bush league for a car that is otherwise so well considered.

I have Audi's all weather mats, which are almost exactly what I'm after. The only downside being the second row hump is uncovered. Had I seen WeatherTech's version beforehand, I may have gone that route. If I didn't have two car seats immediately next to one another (behind driver and middle, which frees up a seat for an adult in the second row), the factory all weathers would be perfectly fine.

The Q7 has THE best design to accomodate car seats I've ever seen. Period. Truly genius. I have installed Diono Ultra Mat Full Size Seat Protectors (Amazon) under each car seat. A total necessity, in my opinion, given the perforated leather.

I don't have a cargo mat yet, but I will be purchasing one.

Google Earth overlays are cool. I am interested to see if the novelty will wear off by the time my trial period ends. I will not ever use the WiFi hotspot. My phone is slower going through the MMI hotspot (lukewarm, at best) than on it's own even though both supposedly use AT&T LTE.

One final note, I have added 3 psi to all recommended tire pressures. So, I'm running 36 psi front, 39 psi rear in 21-inch tires on steel suspension. In Dynamic, the ride is taught, but compliant.

If you're waiting for yours to arrive. It's worth it. The car's awesome.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Can't wait for mine to arrive.

you said you are living in a front license plate state but deleted it? whats your defence if cops stops you?
Old 05-14-2016, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Good observations. Some thoughts...

I initially turned off Apple CarPlay. But, I copied all the songs I actually listen to on my iPhone to MMI Jukebox HDD. This was a total PIA, BTW, because I couldn't figure out how to bulk copy the ~750 songs from an mp3 DVD I made. Should have probably used a memory stick. This is one OBVIOUS area the control wheel is substandard for navigating large numbers of files and where a smartphone remote interface would be massively superior.
You can do a free search on music using the MMI touchpad handwriting feature. See pg 163 of the owner manual.

So far, Siri works better than MMI voice for making phone calls. So, now that my music is on the Jukebox, which I kind of like, I may turn CarPlay back on for Siri phone control. Perhaps there's a way to import contacts directly into the MMI (I haven't looked) that might improve phone call experience via MMI voice.
If your iPhone is connected via Bluetooth, you can use Siri via the MMI without enabling CarPlay. Just hold down the steering wheel talk button until Siri activates. I ended up keeping CarPlay off most of the time because I feel like the MMI's phone and media interfaces are better. I occasionally turn it on to to voice controlled text messages, but basic Siri does a good job of that most of the time without CarPlay. Also, if your phone is connected via Bluetooth, the directory should be imported into the MMI after a couple minutes (see pg 182 of the owner manual).

I don't especially care for the auto-engine-shutoff at stoplights. That said, when you're not speeding around, or not in a hurry, it's pretty unobtrusive once you learn the brake-to-accelerator timing. I can see myself probably using it half the time. Sport mode for when I don't want to deal with it.
The auto start/stop is sensitive to brake pedal pressure as the car comes to a stop. I've learned to make sure my brake pedal pressure is light as the car stops and then the engine does not turn off. It's been a fairly easy adjustment to keep it from shutting off at stop signs.

I don't see myself ever using the third row. In fact, were it possible, I would have ordered mine without it. Audi, if you're listening, I would gladly trade my current Q7 (which I think is awesome) for one that has a full spare tire (and a place to store the jack) in lieu of a third row. The current jack-in-a-bag "design" is bush league for a car that is otherwise so well considered.
Same here. I may use the third row once during my ownership. I did find a use for the electrically moveable third row though. If something in the cargo area has slid up against the back of the 2nd row and I can't reach it from the back, I can raise the third row up to about 45 degrees and the item slides back to me. Little life hack.

I don't have a cargo mat yet, but I will be purchasing one.
Look at the WeatherTech. I have one and if fits great. Folks have said it's better than the OEM one.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great overview of your thoughts on the 7 thanks.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing, this is a great write-up!
Old 05-14-2016, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
Same here. I may use the third row once during my ownership. I did find a use for the electrically moveable third row though. If something in the cargo area has slid up against the back of the 2nd row and I can't reach it from the back, I can raise the third row up to about 45 degrees and the item slides back to me. Little life hack.
Brilliant!

Look at the WeatherTech. I have one and if fits great. Folks have said it's better than the OEM one.
Did you get your 2nd row mats yet? I'd like to see actual pics of it in a 4M and how it fits over the hump.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by larryV
Did you get your 2nd row mats yet? I'd like to see actual pics of it in a 4M and how it fits over the hump.
I received the front row floor liners today. Will put them in a little while and try to take some photos (but it's dark and rainy today, so that may not be possible).

The 2nd row floor liner is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lapi
Thanks for sharing. Can't wait for mine to arrive.

you said you are living in a front license plate state but deleted it? whats your defence if cops stops you?
I haven't had one for like 12 years. Been stopped for not having one once. Been asked during "traffic" violations no more than twice otherwise. Answer is always, "I don't know, ask the dealer. They installed the plates." Which is entirely true. Never ticketed. Doesn't mean it won't happen in the future, but not especially worried about it.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by discogone
Thanks for sharing, this is a great write-up!
While I was waiting for mine to arrive, I ran out of things to read about the Q7 on the internet, but having never owned an Audi, I found this forum extremely useful in prepping for its arrival. I thought about what I might want to know if waiting or attempting to make a decision for, or against. Glad you liked it.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good observations. Some thoughts...

You can do a free search on music using the MMI touchpad handwriting feature. See pg 163 of the owner manual.

I HAVEN'T SPENT MUCH TIME REVIEWING THE MANUAL OTHER THAN FOR THINGS I WAS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT FROM A SETUP PERSPECTIVE. WILL CHECK IT OUT.

If your iPhone is connected via Bluetooth, you can use Siri via the MMI without enabling CarPlay. Just hold down the steering wheel talk button until Siri activates. I ended up keeping CarPlay off most of the time because I feel like the MMI's phone and media interfaces are better. I occasionally turn it on to to voice controlled text messages, but basic Siri does a good job of that most of the time without CarPlay. Also, if your phone is connected via Bluetooth, the directory should be imported into the MMI after a couple minutes (see pg 182 of the owner manual).

THIS IS THE AREA I'M LEAST HAPPY WITH, FOR SURE, BUT IT IS ENTIRELY POSSIBLE THAT I'M NOT USING IT CORRECTLY. I ABSOLUTELY MUST FIGURE OUT HOW TO MORE ACCURATELY MAKE PHONE CALLS VIA VOICE. I'LL CHECK THIS OUT. APPLE CAR PLAY IS VERY UNDERWHELMING. I'M TURNING IT BACK OFF.

The auto start/stop is sensitive to brake pedal pressure as the car comes to a stop. I've learned to make sure my brake pedal pressure is light as the car stops and then the engine does not turn off. It's been a fairly easy adjustment to keep it from shutting off at stop signs.

CORRECT, SOMETHING YOU SORT OF FIGURE OUT PRETTY QUICKLY ONCE YOU DRIVE IT DAILY. I'VE SAID IT ELSEWHERE, BUT I WOULDN'T HAVE FIGURED THIS OUT NEARLY AS QUICKLY HAD I NOT READ ABOUT IT ON THESE VERY FORUMS!

LOVE THIS IDEA. NOT SURE I'D HAVE THOUGHT OF THIS, BUT DYNAMITE IDEA.

MY ONLY COMPLAINT ABOUT WEATHERTECH IS THAT THE EXAMPLES I'VE SEEN IN PERSON (NOT IN Q7) SEEM TO HAVE RATHER LARGE, I DON'T KNOW, LIPS (?) BY THE DOORS IN THE THE SECOND ROW.
Thanks for the feedback, my comments above (I think) in ALL CAPS.

Quick Reply: Thoughts after a week