Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Tire Pressure Reading in MMI?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Reading in MMI?

I purchased a new 2019 Q7 early this year and am new to Audi, so when I received a low pressure warning this weekend I immediately when into MMI to see which tire was low...only to be confounded by the fact that it appears Audi does not provide individual pressure readings by tire through MMI. Is this correct or am I missing something? I have owned BMW , Lexus and Mercedes for years, all of which provide individual tire pressure readings through the onboard computer. Will be amazed if it turn out that Audi does not. Thank you in advance!
Old 09-14-2020, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jailor
I purchased a new 2019 Q7 early this year and am new to Audi, so when I received a low pressure warning this weekend I immediately when into MMI to see which tire was low...only to be confounded by the fact that it appears Audi does not provide individual pressure readings by tire through MMI. Is this correct or am I missing something? I have owned BMW , Lexus and Mercedes for years, all of which provide individual tire pressure readings through the onboard computer. Will be amazed if it turn out that Audi does not. Thank you in advance!
This feature is not brand specific but rather model specific. On the Q7, Audi has elected to use a passive TPMS system that uses each specific wheels ABS sensors to measure relative rotational speed to detect a loss of pressure. This system is sensitive enough that it will be able to detect a small loss of pressure via a change in rotational speed even when run-flat tires are used. BMW, Mercedes, and others use this passive system as well on various models and some seesaw back and forth between active and passive systems based on model year even. The benefits is that passive TPMS basically serves the same purpose as active TPMS but at a lower cost because it uses sensors that are already used by other systems in the car, and that regardless of what set of wheels you use on it, it will still be active without having to purchase and install a second set of valve stem sensors for each wheel. The downside is not having the cool factor of actually viewing live individual tire pressure and in come cases tire temperatures on the instrument panel or infotainment display. On other models, Audi does use active TPMS, and in some cases it can vary by market/region. In my former RS7, each wheel had valve-stem sensor that relayed pressure and temperature data to the display for each corner. While I really like active TPMS systems like this, I don't like how I have to buy a separate set of sensors for an extra set of winter wheels, etc. Since I use a second set of winter wheels on our Q7 and now SQ7, I actually like the fact that it has the passive TPMS system. My BMW M5c has an active system and when I purchased a second set of winter wheels, I did not enjoy having to pay an extra $600 for a set of sensors due to its active TPMS system.
The following users liked this post:
Jailor (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Audi uses indirect tire pressure monitoring.

and

Old 09-14-2020, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

I don't like that Audi doesn't have the handy feature my half-the-price-of-an-Audi Camry has--individual tire pressure readout on the infotainment screen.
Jailor (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Force-1
Tried the search function first chief...only related post related was from 3 years ago...was hoping the tech might have improved
Old 09-14-2020, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by larryV
This feature is not brand specific but rather model specific. On the Q7, Audi has elected to use a passive TPMS system that uses each specific wheels ABS sensors to measure relative rotational speed to detect a loss of pressure. This system is sensitive enough that it will be able to detect a small loss of pressure via a change in rotational speed even when run-flat tires are used. BMW, Mercedes, and others use this passive system as well on various models and some seesaw back and forth between active and passive systems based on model year even. The benefits is that passive TPMS basically serves the same purpose as active TPMS but at a lower cost because it uses sensors that are already used by other systems in the car, and that regardless of what set of wheels you use on it, it will still be active without having to purchase and install a second set of valve stem sensors for each wheel. The downside is not having the cool factor of actually viewing live individual tire pressure and in come cases tire temperatures on the instrument panel or infotainment display. On other models, Audi does use active TPMS, and in some cases it can vary by market/region. In my former RS7, each wheel had valve-stem sensor that relayed pressure and temperature data to the display for each corner. While I really like active TPMS systems like this, I don't like how I have to buy a separate set of sensors for an extra set of winter wheels, etc. Since I use a second set of winter wheels on our Q7 and now SQ7, I actually like the fact that it has the passive TPMS system. My BMW M5c has an active system and when I purchased a second set of winter wheels, I did not enjoy having to pay an extra $600 for a set of sensors due to its active TPMS system.
Thank you for this insight. Would absolutely expect this on a Q7. My last 3 BMWs had active sensors so I guessed I assumed that was the norm at this price point.
Dave_ (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,178 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by Jailor
Thank you for this insight. Would absolutely expect this on a Q7. My last 3 BMWs had active sensors so I guessed I assumed that was the norm at this price point.
This is a long term savings. For Audi mainly.
But it benefits everyone who runs a second set of wheels/tires during other seasons because you do not need to purchase direct TPMS. I really appreciate this...
mbs (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Cost savings, eh? Like the lack of an under-the-hood light. For the price of an Audi I'd think they could manage to put in some common features. When they do include an expensive item, it is an extra cost item, such as the Laser lights for $1600 in the US, despite them not being functional as they are in Europe.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I, for one, would like to see the actual readings even at a cost. For Audi, they can make a system that's compatible with both - if active TPS sensors are present, rely on that system; otherwise, the inactive kicks in by default. Or better, when both are present, cross check - if either reports a low pressure, trigger a warning.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave_
Cost savings, eh? Like the lack of an under-the-hood light. For the price of an Audi I'd think they could manage to put in some common features. When they do include an expensive item, it is an extra cost item, such as the Laser lights for $1600 in the US, despite them not being functional as they are in Europe.
I honestly can't remember any new cars I've bought in the last 20 years that have actually had an under-the-hood light. Granted, except for a big GM SUV, a Range Rover, and an Acura, I've had nothing but a long list of german cars from all the marques. Perhaps the lack of an under-the-hood light has become a trend that stuck in german cars over the last 20 years? My point is that I don't think under-the-hood lights are exactly what you'd call "common features" in cars anymore. At least not german cars. Also, it has become even more rare for owners of these expensive luxury german marques to even attempt wrenching with their own cars - even in cases of emergencies. Engines have become so complicated with "hot-V" turbos, mild hybrid systems, and all the extra plumbing for forced-induction that even the manufacturers have taken to just cover it all up with a bunch of plastic with fancy graphics or carbon fiber facades anyway. Many have even done away with oil dipsticks altogether and even set aside the washer fluid/other fluid ports organized in one easy-to-find section on one corner of the engine bay to make it idiot-proof for their idiot customers. They omit these things likely because market research has proven that the majority of their customers don't care. The majority of their customers will just call Audi roadside or similar roadside services and flatbed their cars to the dealer and have them figure it out. And it's not like the dealers' technicians will need the under-the-hood light

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Reading in MMI?