12,000km driven,

Also I have weird suspension issues too, car pulls to right randomly,

Car lower on opposite sides

etc...
Old 04-28-2018, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer
Ha! Your sticker is for R19 tires, my OE tires are R20s and for them the door jamb sticker says 32F/35R PSI. My OE set is doing very well being inflated as sticker suggests. My winters are R18. I've started using them with 32F/35R, by mid winter switched to 35F/38R. I might try to do 37F/40R next winter.
Yes. Oddly however lower profile tires like 20s should typically be inflated to higher pressures than 19s of the same outer circumference. And to confuse matters further , our 2011 Q7 did have 20s yet it still recommended 44F 49 R as full load air pressur. ???
Long story short, If outer edges are wearing, Check alignment. toe and camber, then increase air pressure.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ConservativeConsumer
His theory is that in Europe people drive Bundesautobahn-s with speeds way above what is allowed here. At high speeds car pressed closer to the road surface, thus the need for more positive camber. Not sure this theory is accurate, but it sounds plausible.
Interesting theory, but I'm not buying it. My prior cars, also German, did not exhibit this kind of tire wear and I typically got 30K+ miles from a set of tires.
Prior cars were:

1985 VW Cabriolet
1999 MB E320
2005 BMW X5

IMO, this is an Audi problem.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Guys, it’s a 5000 lb vehicle running wide passenger car tires. Narrower tires running higher pressures, designed for light trucks would last forever but handling and appearance would suffer. My 2 cents :-)
Old 04-28-2018, 09:00 AM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by soguy12
car pulls to right randomly,
Wondering if the pulling you are feeling is from the "Lane Assist" feature that you might have. When I turn on lane assist, above 45 mph, it will sometimes feel like it is fighting me. turn it off, and no more pull. To turn off lane assist (if you have the feature) you press the button at the end of the turn signal ****.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soguy12
Wow, I have the same problem,

My front tires are tearing on the outside edges,

12,000km driven,

Also I have weird suspension issues too, car pulls to right randomly,

Car lower on opposite sides

etc...
Im currently at 40K miles and i can definitely tell that the passenger side tires are wearing faster on the outer edge than on the driver side. Ive had 2 alignments already on this car and recently had it checked again and its all within spec. I've also noticed that I have to constantly turn the wheel slightly to the left for the car to track straight. Starting to wonder if its issues with my shocks/struts.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi, I have exactly the same problem as you,

My car pulls to right sometimes when I brake, when I accelerate, sometimes it pulls to the right very hard,

I have to compensate by driving with steering wheel to the left by a bit,
Old 05-02-2018, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Guys, it’s a 5000 lb vehicle running wide passenger car tires. Narrower tires running higher pressures, designed for light trucks would last forever but handling and appearance would suffer. My 2 cents :-)
It's a good point, and I would generally agree with that theory, but I had a previous Q7 that weighed more and with higher performance passenger car tires. I had better tread wear on the old Q7, and the tread wear was even (fronts died a little earlier than the rears, but even tread wear across each tire. Too many of us are experiencing this.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:46 PM
SQ5 Down Under

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
I had 4 sets of tires on our previous 2012 Q7. Each lasted about 35000 miles. I always ran full load air pressures 44 frt 49 rear. It sounds like a lot but these vehicles are heavy. Tires always wore evenly across the tread and I actually prefer the crisper ride and handling at these pressures. That Q7 was on 20 inch wheels. Tires were Pirelli P Zero and Continental DWS. Two sets of each. All all season. I never had that vehicle aligned. There was never any reason to do so. Our new to us 2015 is on 19 inch wheels. I expect they will do even better.
+1 on the alignment. If it is not broken, dont fix it so I wont be doing my alignment on my new SQ5 when I change tires down the track. The stock PZero on my MY12 Q7 lasted 18,000km before it was replace and it was worn out evenly. The tire shop who strip and fitted the new set of Conti UHP recommended an alignment to be done at the time which is when it all went down hills. I think the tire stop stuffed up the toe adjustment and the conti UHP was gone by 8000km (see photo attached). I took it 2 other tire shop after who still didn't get it 100% so finally I took it back to Audi. So lesson to be learnt here is don't touch the alignment unless it is off.

Regarding tire, I found the latitude sport 3 that I have got on them are pretty good. It is due to for replacement after close to 2 years so im pretty happy with them. TBH, i think i could have gotten a little more out of the latitude if the alignment didn't go off again on my current set. Again the outer edge is worn on all 4 wheels. I mostly run 45 psi all round but found maybe I need to increase it to 48psi as it seems like I still have more tread left in the middle of the tire which suggest 45psi that im running currently is still little low. I would avoid Conti UHP as it doesn't last as long as the Michelin. Cant wait to try the Pilot Sport 4S which I will be putting on in coming weeks. PS4S suppose to have 300 treawear vs 220 treadwear on the latitude sport 3 so should technically last longer.

For those with air suspension, do u find that in dynamic mode (lowest setting) the tire wear out faster on the inside or outside? I usually run my car in Auto mode but i have been curious to see if running in different mode can help my problem of excessive wear on the outside. I have always thought adjusting to lower height will give more negetive camber which will help put more wear toward inside of the wheel. Audi charges $210 AUD for alignment so taking it back every 6 month would be costly and time wasting. Again like most of u, I didnt have to check alignment or rotate tyres every 6-12month with all my previous cars so it is pretty annoying that we have to do this for the Q7.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been through 3 sets of tires so far. I found that the "summer tires" only last 10-12k miles. My third set was Pirelli Pzero all season. I am at 25k and they are 3/4 worn. More than likely I will get 35k out of them. All the tires I bought do not wear evenly. I set the pressures at 42psi all around. I think that helps too.

these are lasting
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+Zero +All+Season&partnum=84HR1SZASXL&autoMake=Audi&auto Year=2017&autoModel=Q7+3.0T&autoModClar=Prestige

these did not
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiSpor tContact+5+SUV&partnum=84YR1SPC5XL&vehicleSearch=t rue&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Audi&autoYear=2017&a utoModel=Q7%203.0T&autoModClar=Prestige

these did not
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+Verd e&partnum=84YR1SVXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare 1=yes&autoMake=Audi&autoYear=2017&autoModel=Q7%203 .0T&autoModClar=Prestige

Funny thing is I bought a GLS63 with 7000 miles and it came with the same summer conti tires as the Audi. Guess what, they were burnt at 11k miles. I ordered the same Pirelli all season tires as replacements for this vehicle too.

Quick Reply: Tire wear on outside edge (one side)