Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Towed a travel trailer better than I had hoped!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by TxQ
That’s great gas mileage for towing! My ecoboost f150 towing 8k pounds would get 8mpg. I towed a trailer and motorcycle also which weighed maybe 3k pounds and still only 10mpg
I hope I'm not misremembering the mileage...

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Cutter
The air suspension seems to work wonders when towing.

What sort of hitch setup are you using?
Yes, the air suspension is awesome for towing. I was using an Anderson weight distributing with my old Q7, but since much was made about avoiding a WDH hitch, I bought the short OEM Audi ball mount and added a sway bar. That trailer tends to be tongue heavy and is dual axle so it tows super stable. It was very windy the first day of our trip and the Q7 and trailer did great even on curvy roads.

The info on the short hitch ball mount is here: https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-q7-66/2017-q7-factory-towing-package-not-compatible-w-weight-distrubtion-hitches-223398/page2/
The following users liked this post:
imdakine1 (11-21-2020)
Old 11-04-2017, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have to admit not looking at names, even if I did I probably wouldn't remember. I saw and posted in that thread. :-)
Old 03-07-2018, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

As an update, the downside to the short Audi ball mount is you can't choose different rise or drop heights. I have it flipped to a sight rise, but that wouldn't have been enough. I ended up getting a ball with a long 2" shank (1" option also exists) and am now set up dead level.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009T8HPC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009T8HPC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-17-2018, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG. I have questions!

Hi There! We just purchased a Lance 2155 that has a dry weight of 4,800 lbs, and I hav the 2018 Audi Q7 WITHOUT the air suspension. But now I'm in panic mode because the Audi says you cannot use a weight distribution hitch with this vehicle. It would be IMPOSSIBLE to tow this trailer, which has close to a 600 pound hitch weight, without sagging the car down to the ground. Do you use a weight-distribution hitch with your Audi towing the Lance trailer? I'm not sure whether I should return the Audi (I purchased expressly with the idea of towing the Lance trailer), which has a towing capacity of 7,700 pounds - as long as there is no tongue weight, which is absolutely ridiculous. What would weigh 7,700 pounds without any hitch weight - or even just a couple hundred pounds. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2018, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RogerBrooks
Hi There! We just purchased a Lance 2155 that has a dry weight of 4,800 lbs, and I hav the 2018 Audi Q7 WITHOUT the air suspension. But now I'm in panic mode because the Audi says you cannot use a weight distribution hitch with this vehicle. It would be IMPOSSIBLE to tow this trailer, which has close to a 600 pound hitch weight, without sagging the car down to the ground. Do you use a weight-distribution hitch with your Audi towing the Lance trailer? I'm not sure whether I should return the Audi (I purchased expressly with the idea of towing the Lance trailer), which has a towing capacity of 7,700 pounds - as long as there is no tongue weight, which is absolutely ridiculous. What would weigh 7,700 pounds without any hitch weight - or even just a couple hundred pounds. Thanks!
Since you mention returning the Audi, is there any chance you could change for one with the adaptive air suspension? That would be ideal. I have not used a WDH with the 2018 Q7. I had used the Anderson WDH on my old 2012 Q7 even though it also said not to use a WDH, but I think the attachment of the hitch was very different in that car compared to the new one. The Anderson hitch also is not as powerful as a WDH as most, and I had air suspension on that car also. People in this forum have reported towing fairly big trailers (with cars on them, etc) with the Q7 with standard suspension without a WDH and reported that the drop was acceptable. Have you tried hitching up to see how much sag you get?

There are people on the forum that use a WDH despite the manual stating not to. So far, no reports of issues with the Q7. Somewhere there is a report of someone tearing the hitch partway off the vehicle with a WDH, but if I recall it was a Q5. I have not been clear on what happened and whether the hitch attachment to the body of the car is different between that Q5 and our Q7. Just in case, I've decided to tow without a WDH, but with a simple sway controller, since it does seem to tow really well with that setup.

Good luck.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:42 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

RogerBrooks, might want to think about how much your fully loaded camper weighs and how much you'll be carrying in the Q7. I suspect if you've added extras like a/c, spare tire, powered awning, a couple of batteries, TV, antennae, furnishings, water, extra propane tanks, etc., you'll find your trailer weighs much more than you'd think. Add in passengers and gear in the Q7 and you're going to be very close, if not over, the allowable total weight capacities of the vehicle. Your RV dealer should be knowledgeable about towing and give you a better opinion.

Shorter, local trips might be ok but I'd be very concerned about longer mileage trips where long grades might be encountered. Perhaps a properly equipped SUV like the Tahoe or Expedition might be a better choice if cross country trips are in your plans.

By the way, congratulations on the Lance trailer. They are truly luxurious and have beautiful interiors.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default WDH?

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
Leaving camp, after driving dirt roads a couple of days and doing moderate off-roading on an ATV trail 😎:

Do you use a Weight Distribution Hitch? Have new Q7 with towing intentions, but discovered WDH is not recommended. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

I used a light WDH with my previous, older gen Q7, but since this gen Q7 says specifically NOT to use a WDH, I have not used it. I used the shorter Audi-specific ball mount and have the air suspension so my rear is not sagging. I've gone through a weigh station but cannot for the life of me find the numbers anymore. However, I remember that although the front end was of course lighter than before hitching up, it did not seem like the weight was incredibly reduced. I've never felt like the front end was too light or wandering, even through curvey mountain passes. So I am enjoying the simplicity of not having a WDH. I am using a sway controller, however, even though that trailer is a dual axel and is very stable towing, I like the added safety of a mechanical sway controller.
The following users liked this post:
Ls797 (05-23-2021)
Old 03-21-2019, 05:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That makes me feel much better. Trailer is about 4,500 lbs.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ericjwelch
That makes me feel much better. Trailer is about 4,500 lbs.
The car will barely now your trailer is there! . Mine is 6000 pounds (once loaded) and I'm always in disbelief at how well it tows my trailer. Just came back from a trip to Moab and had no trouble with the passes on the way.

Does your car have air suspension? (Mine does, and is great). If not, you may sag a little in the rear but from what others have reported I don't think it will be bad with a small trailer - just be sure your tongue weight is in the 450-550 lb range.

Quick Reply: Towed a travel trailer better than I had hoped!