Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Traffic jam assist issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traffic jam assist issue

I've had no issues with my traffic jam assist (TJA) since I purchased my new q7 in May. However, today I noticed the lane departure lines are no longer engaging and the TJA has lost the steering component (at the usual traffic congestion speeds under 37mph). Does anyone know if I've accidentally bonked something or somehow turned off the feature? The stop and go continues to work well, it's just the steering and green lane lines are now gone.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have you possibly touched the button on the front of the blinker stalk? That switches lane assist on/off
Old 09-21-2016, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Like said above, it sounds like you turned off lane assist (button on the end of the turn signal stalk) which deactivates lane assist and TJA.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

When lane assist is off, the lane markers next to the ACC symbol should disappear, shouldn't they? With LA enabled but not detecting lanes those lane markers are gray.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lack of being able to read the lane markings seems to be a common problem in most cars I have driven with a lane assist feature. The Q7 seems a little on the weak side and is only able to give me two green indicators about 60% of the time. At least around town. Interstates are much better, maybe about 80%.
Really I think it's going to be a big obstacle with the future of autonomous cars. Getting city planners to keep lane markings well defined and kept maintained.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

In my case, I have noticed that the TJA keeps my car to the far left side of the lane. It even tries to ride on the Left side lane marking. I can see that my car is outward in the lane than all others and I can see all the cars behind me in a single straight path but mine is outside. I have tried to maneuver it a couple of times by steering it back to the middle of the lane but it would keep taking it out again.

I took it to the dealer and they said that they would have to re-calibrate it. I had it done but there is no change. I feel like others might have the same findings. Please share if you do. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've only used it for couple days yet but I noticed that it has a lot more difficult in recognizing lanes when it is raining which I don't really blame the car. Our city road designers decided that reflective lane lines were not necessary and but the asphalt instead should act like a mirror at rainy weather making it extremely difficult to see markings on the road really. So the only line markings are the raised reflectors that are not consistent as they get broken, removed from the road etc over time.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shaikhmf
In my case, I have noticed that the TJA keeps my car to the far left side of the lane. It even tries to ride on the Left side lane marking. I can see that my car is outward in the lane than all others and I can see all the cars behind me in a single straight path but mine is outside. I have tried to maneuver it a couple of times by steering it back to the middle of the lane but it would keep taking it out again.

I took it to the dealer and they said that they would have to re-calibrate it. I had it done but there is no change. I feel like others might have the same findings. Please share if you do. Thanks.

I don't know if this will work for you but it helps me. When my Q wants to ride on the left line (which it often does) I shut off the lane assist and then recenter before turning it back on. It seems to help. Let me know if it helps you.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haven't receive my Q yet. But I'm very curious how the setting works out for you guys. Do you set the steering assist to be Early or Late? I have seen some reviews saying the steering assist is too intrusive that you have fight for it. But I guess if you set it to be Late, it's going to ping-pong you between the lane marks?? There's also a way to change steering force in using OBD11. But I don't remember exactly where I saw that.

Last edited by RyanCC; 12-13-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I use "early" on the highway to have it be more aggressive about keeping me in my lane if I need to take my hands off the wheel for some reason, or to simply relax my grip on the wheel. "Late" works better on surface streets where I expect to steer more often, but I usually just leave it on "early" and only turn it on when I'm on the highway.

There's an OBDEleven setting that looks like it tweaks the time before it nags you to put your hands back on the wheel, but I don't think it actually does anything. Even at "late" you only get 15s or so. Here are the details if you want to experiment:

1. Frt Sens. Drv. Assist A5 - Adaptation

2. ORIGINAL - UDS Adaptation Channel: IDE05984-Directional stabilization assist driver inact deactiv threshold
Stored value Medium
2. MOD - UDS Adaptation Channel: IDE05984-Directional stabilization assist driver inact deactiv threshold
Stored value Late

Here's the one that it supposed to change the "intensity", but I haven't played with it:

3. ORIGINAL - UDS Adaptation Channel: IDE05986-Directional stab. assist.; intensity; power steering support
Stored value Medium
3. MOD - UDS Adaptation Channel: IDE05986-Directional stab. assist.; intensity; power steering support
Stored value Strong

Quick Reply: Traffic jam assist issue