Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Traffic sign recognition in US

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Traffic sign recognition in US

I think I know the answer already but wanted to verify just in case. Is it true that traffic sign recognition in US only covers speed limits and school zones? This is for a 2019 Q7 Prestige.

Would it have killed Audi to recognize stop signs as well which would have been very useful?
Old 08-12-2019, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

In my experience, that's the only two types of signs it has recognized.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...e-systems-7184

Traffic sign recognition

Camera-based traffic sign recognition detects traffic signs such as speed limit signs (including digital signs), no passing zones, entry restriction signs and other auxiliary signs, and it shows them to the driver in graphic form. They then appear in the driver information system and/or the Audi virtual cockpit as well as in the head-up display. The camera on the windshield also detects temporary speed restrictions such as in construction zones, as well as time- and weather-conditional restrictions. The system shows the currently applicable speed limit. For example, if a lower speed applies when the road is wet, this value is displayed – if the windshield wipers are on. Speed limits that are only in force at certain times of day are only shown at those times. In addition, the driver can choose a warning threshold as an offset to the legal speed limit. When this threshold is exceeded, a visual warning is given.

Some of the listed traffic signs are only found in Europe, so they don't apply to the USA, but generally it recognizes signs related to speed, passing and entry restrictions. What exactly do you expect from recognizing Stop signs? Do you expect the car to stop for you?
Old 08-12-2019, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SarhoshAmiral
I think I know the answer already but wanted to verify just in case. Is it true that traffic sign recognition in US only covers speed limits and school zones? This is for a 2019 Q7 Prestige.

Would it have killed Audi to recognize stop signs as well which would have been very useful?
Why would it display a stop sign? The sign isn't displayed on the cluster until you are right on top of it which means you should be at a complete stop anyway.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any way to defeat (not show) the notification that there are currently no speed-based signs to read? It's a little irritating when driving in a parking lot or in rural area where the vehicle will suddenly produce a warning chime that sounds along with a notice that appears on the virtual cockpit...can this be turned off or at least modified?
Old 08-12-2019, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Regarding questions about stop sign, it could have displayed it earlier and also warn if you are not slowing down. In fact I would have loved if the car recognized stop signs in stop & go traffic when in traffic jam assist mode and stopped by itself instead trying to follow the car in front at stop signs.

The way I see it traffic sign recognition is there to help the driver just as all the other driver assist features so it makes to me for it to display important signs on the dashboard just in case.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Regarding questions about stop sign, it could have displayed it earlier and also warn if you are not slowing down. In fact I would have loved if the car recognized stop signs in stop & go traffic when in traffic jam assist mode and stopped by itself instead trying to follow the car in front at stop signs.

The way I see it traffic sign recognition is there to help the driver just as all the other driver assist features so it makes to me for it to display important signs on the dashboard just in case.
That will come when cars actually reach at least level 3 autonomous driving. What's on the roads today is level 2 and at best level 2.5 if you wanna go as far. The systems are merely assisting with the traffic flow. They are not obeying traffic rules in behalf of the driver yet, that's an important distinction. The traffic signs that are recognized today, are those that apply to the current road you are driving on and are still effective once you passed them, so it's useful to see them in the dashboard if for example you are wondering all of a sudden if the 45 mph speed limit you remember seeing is actually still effective. A stop sign is only valid at the point where it's placed, and in reality the camera won't pick it up much earlier than you do, so displaying it on the dash is of little value. Once you blew through it, it also doesn't help much if it tells you there was a stop sign. I'm pretty sure lots of people would have issues if the car autonomously stopped if it thinks it saw a stop sign. Unfortunately, the recognition is not perfect. It occasionally misreads traffic signs of adjacent roads etc. I don't know about Audi to be honest, but the driving assist system in my C63S uses the map data to slow down when approaching intersections, roundabouts, exits etc. That's honestly much more reliable, because it knows well in advance if there's a stop coming up instead of relying on recognizing a stop sign.

Last edited by superswiss; 08-12-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You are asking for a tall order buddy. Tesla system cant utilize stop signs yet and you expect audi to? You are dreaming. Save up for the 2025 q7 and that might be a best case scenario.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JBaumgart
Is there any way to defeat (not show) the notification that there are currently no speed-based signs to read? It's a little irritating when driving in a parking lot or in rural area where the vehicle will suddenly produce a warning chime that sounds along with a notice that appears on the virtual cockpit...can this be turned off or at least modified?
If you figure this out please tell the rest of us. Dumbest warning ever might as well say the sky is blue or water is wet. I think its pretty obvious if the system isn't working due to ... lack of sign showing up.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by billm0066
You are asking for a tall order buddy. Tesla system cant utilize stop signs yet and you expect audi to? You are dreaming. Save up for the 2025 q7 and that might be a best case scenario.
One can dream though right, I will start complaining once Tesla starts doing it then

Quick Reply: Traffic sign recognition in US