Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Traffic Sign recognition working?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Traffic Sign recognition working?

Hmm... I’m not sure how I did it but I am able to get traffic sign recognition. It’s works intermittently. Noticed it the other day and today it came on more often. I’ve attached the coding I used via OBDeleven. I don’t have DAP. I did however bring the car to the dealer and complained that sometimes the cameras didn’t work and they reprogrammed a module.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will routinely get a WARNING that the Traffic Sign Recognition is inoperable and to see my dealer, but then the system is fully functional as soon as I come up on a speed limit or other road sign. It's mildly annoying and will have it looked at on my first dealer visit.

Last edited by JBaumgart; 06-08-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JBaumgart
I will routinely get a WARNING that the Traffic Sign Recognition is inoperable and to see my dealer, but then the system is fully functional as soon as I come up on a speed limit or other road sign. It's mildly annoying and will have it looked at on my first dealer visit.
Read the message carefully, its saying "I can't find a traffic sign" which happens after so many minutes (like 3 maybe?) in a area that has strange or no signs. Its a really stupid message. Further annoyed that it blocks the night vision or other useful information to basically tell you something I already know.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brimstone
Read the message carefully, its saying "I can't find a traffic sign" which happens after so many minutes (like 3 maybe?) in a area that has strange or no signs. Its a really stupid message. Further annoyed that it blocks the night vision or other useful information to basically tell you something I already know.
The vehicle is very smart in so many other ways you would think they could come up with a fix to at least delay the message until it fails to read an actual sign. It literally comes up (with a loud chime) every time I leave the house and drive a few blocks.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would simply think the absence of actually seeing a sign show up would be enough information. I've seen it just miss the occasional sign for whatever reason (also read bad ones and find ones my eyes couldn't so it cuts all ways) but if it never worked I think I would notice by the sign always being missing or generally wrong. I think the message is completely worthless and confusing, I had the same issue (I never took it to the dealer) until I read it carefully and realized it was just telling me something so obvious I wondered why it was doing anything at all.

Chime! water is wet!
Old 06-10-2019, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The vehicle is very smart in so many other ways you would think they could come up with a fix to at least delay the message until it fails to read an actual sign.
While this sounds great, your solution actually defeats the purpose of warning you of a potential malfunction.

If the system is in fact down, how is it supposed to detect any sort of sign in the first place?
Old 06-10-2019, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiFanFL
While this sounds great, your solution actually defeats the purpose of warning you of a potential malfunction.

If the system is in fact down, how is it supposed to detect any sort of sign in the first place?
Of course it wouldn't, but you would know the system is down by its failure to project speed limits and school zones as you drive by them. I'd rather have that than the incessant warnings and chimes going off almost every time I drive the car.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Of course it wouldn't, but you would know the system is down by its failure to project speed limits and school zones as you drive by them.
Well, sure, but this could still not be accomplished without the driver actively paying attention.

I was confused by your initial post since it seemed to suggest that the system should only issue an active warning if it couldn't read a sign correctly. This would not work if the system is down because in that case, it may not be able to detect a sign in the first place. Now, if you are stating that "you would know the system is down by its failure to project speed limits and school zones as you drive by", the driver would have to pay attention him/herself in order to assure the system is working or in this case, not working. That, however, would defeat the purpose of having a warning-system in the first place.

The easiest fix would be expanding the time frame after starting the vehicle before it turns on. I never ran into this notification while I was driving for a longer period of time. It only happens when I start driving and don't go past a traffic-sign within a certain period of time.

I have a feeling that Audi set this up the way they did due to liability-reasons as well...
Old 06-10-2019, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiFanFL
Well, sure, but this could still not be accomplished without the driver actively paying attention.

I was confused by your initial post since it seemed to suggest that the system should only issue an active warning if it couldn't read a sign correctly. This would not work if the system is down because in that case, it may not be able to detect a sign in the first place. Now, if you are stating that "you would know the system is down by its failure to project speed limits and school zones as you drive by", the driver would have to pay attention him/herself in order to assure the system is working or in this case, not working. That, however, would defeat the purpose of having a warning-system in the first place.

The easiest fix would be expanding the time frame after starting the vehicle before it turns on. I never ran into this notification while I was driving for a longer period of time. It only happens when I start driving and don't go past a traffic-sign within a certain period of time.

I have a feeling that Audi set this up the way they did due to liability-reasons as well...
Sorry that my posts were confusing. It looks like we are talking about the exact same issue ["It only happens when I start driving and don't go past a traffic-sign within a certain period of time."]. I agree with your solution of the easiest fix (expand the time frame after starting the vehicle before it turns on) as that would eliminate most, if not all, of the premature warnings and chimes that I get!
Old 06-11-2019, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think one should be able to change the timer or disable this warning. If you don't notice that the speed limit is not be updated properly (consistently) or even showing a sign at all, what point does the warning even serve? (that is to say the driver isn't paying attention to the fact that it even exists thus they won't miss it if its not functioning). The warning is a waste.