Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Transmission/supercharger clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keyser Wi
@AudiVic -- how loud was your "hooting" noise? Is the noise completely gone now? Mine is a soft "knocking" sound. It's driving me crazy too, because it's always there .. you almost expect it whenever you slow down or accelerate... And yes if I'd known it, I'd not buy it. This may not bother some people, but I am very sensitive to repetitive clicking / knocking.

Starting last week, another kind of clicking noises started. This one is behind driver's seat during low speed stop-and-go, slowing-down or accelerating ... argh...

I am seriously thinking about switching a vehicle.
I noticed the noise mostly with my AC fan on the low setting, radio off. It's not a very loud noise, not a knocking sound, not a solenoid clicking sound. It's more like 2 glazed metal surfaces slipping on each other. Better description, sounds like when a tractor trailer coming to a stop and you hear the brakes howl right before they come to a complete stop but lot lower in volume of course. I can replicate this mostly driving in D mode, moderate acceleration right about the point where the trans shifts from 1st to 2nd. I have not heard the noise after 2 days of driving. I believe it's fixed for now. If your dealer is having problems diagnosing the problem, call Audi and open a case. My problem was resolved within 1 day after calling Audi. I did have to wait about 7 days for the part to come in.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

@AudiVic:
Thanks for clarifying. I don't think it's the same issue as what I have. I will talk to Audi USA about this when I get a chance. The dealer that I have been going to is just not giving me any solution - frustrating.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yep, nothing more frustrating in life than a dealer telling you it's normal and you that it is not. For me it implies that they assume I know nothing about cars and I'll believe whatever they tell me. FWIW, Audi did tell me to try another dealer and I told them that was unacceptable. I requested to meet with an Audi representative which Audi says they don't have any. Audi did say they would contact the dealer and help me resolve my issue which they did. Anyways, best of luck!
Old 01-11-2017, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This doesn't sound like the same noise as when it shifts gears under heavier throttle...I'm assuming that's just the waste gate's "whoosh"...if it is indeed the w/g then why so noisy? Our supercharged XKR's w/g doesn't make any discernable noise.

Last edited by RJC 1; 01-11-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a supercharged E55 and MB had the same issue with a chirp on clutch engagement. Some people got the clutch replaced but the noise would eventually return. The (temporary) fix was to take a feeler gage and put a little graphite between the clutch faces. The fix would last a couple of thousand miles. I think MB eventually redesigned the clutch to solve this problem.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jim Jistel
I had a supercharged E55 and MB had the same issue with a chirp on clutch engagement. Some people got the clutch replaced but the noise would eventually return. The (temporary) fix was to take a feeler gage and put a little graphite between the clutch faces. The fix would last a couple of thousand miles. I think MB eventually redesigned the clutch to solve this problem.

Had an 06 E55 in 2006...what a monster. What is the noise with every shift under moderate+ acceleration? It is not a chirp but more of a woosh sound? Thought it was the wastegate?
Old 01-12-2017, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC 1
Had an 06 E55 in 2006...what a monster. What is the noise with every shift under moderate+ acceleration? It is not a chirp but more of a woosh sound? Thought it was the wastegate?
That sounds like a wastegate. The E55 chirped every time you got on the throttle. Surprised Audi has this issue in 2017.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Peace :-). It's John by the way. I'm sorry, didn't mean to offend. I've no connection to Audi. Just been blessed (cursed) with being mechanical for 60 years. To clarify, what I was trying to say is that it has to be difficult to create a device (clutch) to engage a supercharger drive and bring that supercharger to operating rpm ( 10000 rpm or so) instantly when the engine is at its operating speed and to do so silently. Whether it has become more noticeable and objectionable due to wear or possibly as a result of cold temperatures, I have no idea. I did say it might be normal for these vehicles but I didn't say it was acceptable. Bears watching for sure and doccumenting it with your dealer now is certainly advisable in case it fails after warranty. As to " Do I have a 2017 Q7 that I paid $70k for?" No I don't but we do have a TDI MK1 Q7 in the midst of the diesel scandal that has lost much of its resale value as a result. I feel your pain. Good luck finding a solution. Might be as simple as Audi recalibrating the clutch engagement. Might require redesigning the clutch. Again, I have no idea :-)
I've been reading these threads and am so happy to hear I'm not the only one upset about this. What's interesting is that I started hearing the same hoot around the 10,000 mile mark but I have an A6 so this issue doesn't just happen in the Q7.
I got the same runaround with AUDI corporate. they said it was the supercharger clutch and it was normal. They said that the manager would gladly have me come in and have me listen to other A6's. What's funny is when I initially brought it in the service manager went for a ride and confirmed that he heard the "hoot". He said it wasn't right but thought it was a vacuum. He said to wait it out for my 15,000 mile check up because to really determine the issue they would need to "dig in". Bottom line, he didn't know what it was. My interpretation was that it was NOT normal if the service manager couldn't put his finger on it.
I smell a rat so I'm looking forward to following this thread.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jim Jistel
That sounds like a wastegate. The E55 chirped every time you got on the throttle. Surprised Audi has this issue in 2017.
I remember the E55 chirp issue, thankfully my/the 06's were fitted with an updated unit at the factory.

The new Q7 has its share of issues, and I guess shame on those of us affected that bought a first year production vehicle. We are first time Audi buyers (not leased) and I will reserve judgment on ever buying another Audi until after I see how they handle the issues affecting me.

Last edited by RJC 1; 01-12-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have another appointment to ride with the dealer technician. I have 2 kinds of sounds going on now (I copied, pasted and edited the texts below from my email to Audi Loyalty Advocate):

First one: It is a soft knocking sound when slowing down / stopping or going / accelerating... The sound is in the front of vehicle, almost in front of the glove compartment - could be from the engine compartment. It's very consistent and you can hear it knocking in those conditions. It's the worse during stop and go traffic, or traffic lights / stop signs. I had Audi technician ride with me a month ago. He told me it's the supercharger clutch engaging and disengaging. He said it has something to do with the efficiency. He said it's normal, and there's nothing he can do about that. It's bothering me and making me dislike the Q7.

Second one: About a couple weeks ago, another mysterious noise started. This one is inconsistent and I can't find its "trigger" yet. I've been trying to monitor and watch for when it's clicking, but I haven't been able to tell the exact time or condition which trigger it. Most times I hear it when stopping / going, sometimes turning ... It's a clicking / ticking sound almost like some electronic relay switching on and off. This one comes from behind the driver's seat - either from the seat itself, or the seat belt, or the door behind the driver's seat.

Quick Reply: Transmission/supercharger clutch noise